Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

It took us 12 years from 1961 to join the EEC/EU. By the time we leave we will probably have been a member for 45 years. So leave end of 2018, 5 to 10 years for those left in the UK to realize what a terrible mistake they've made. 12 years renegotation to reapply. 2 more years to the sort out our place in the Euro and Schengen. So by 2042 at the latest we should be back in the EU again. By that time we should be one of the poorest countries in Europe so lots of lovely EU grants.

Farage joins those jumping ship.

Legal wrangles start.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-legal-challenge-launched-businesses-move-to-block-eu-exit-without-act-of-parliament-a7118186.html

Thanks for that Garth That is a very interesting article and shows that although the Britexiters want to railroad this uncertain result through,they might not be able to.

• Like 2

What that article seems to suggest if you read between the lines is that David Cameron was potentially aware of the situation on the morning of the 24th. Presumably he must have become aware of it during the campaign after taking advice from the attorney general or constitutional experts and realised he would be unable to keep his promise to activate article 50 immediately in the event of the out campaign winning. Therefore he washed his hands of the job and resigned. In which case his decision not to let the public know this during the campaign and to continue with an extremely expensive, divisive and potentially economically damaging referendum which is neither legally binding nor has any chance of getting the UK out of Europe would be an even bigger deception than those the Brexiteers are accused of. Just a thought. Ed.

• Like 1

What that article seems to suggest if you read between the lines is that David Cameron was potentially aware of the situation on the morning of the 24th. Presumably he must have become aware of it during the campaign after taking advice from the attorney general or constitutional experts and realised he would be unable to keep his promise to activate article 50 immediately in the event of the out campaign winning. Therefore he washed his hands of the job and resigned. In which case his decision not to let the public know this during the campaign and to continue with an extremely expensive, divisive and potentially economically damaging referendum which is neither legally binding nor has any chance of getting the UK out of Europe would be an even bigger deception than those the Brexiteers are accused of. Just a thought. Ed.

• Like 1

Ah-ha! The 64 million dollar question. Or about the cost of organising the referendum. If that had been be made clear them the referendum would have been postponed until the legal situation was clarified or cancelled altogether until an act of parliament was passed to give it legitimacy. As to the result in such a situation, who knows but I think it would certainly have swung the vote one way or the other. Cameron would probably still have resigned for not getting his facts right first and whoever would have replaced him would have caused this swing. Of course this is all just me speculating. Ed.

Ah-ha! The 64 million dollar question. Or about the cost of organising the referendum. If that had been be made clear them the referendum would have been postponed until the legal situation was clarified or cancelled altogether until an act of parliament was passed to give it legitimacy. As to the result in such a situation, who knows but I think it would certainly have swung the vote one way or the other. Cameron would probably still have resigned for not getting his facts right first and whoever would have replaced him would have caused this swing. Of course this is all just me speculating. Ed.

Does this then bring into doubt the result of the referendum due to the public being misinformed.

I'm sure in the weeks, months or maybe years to come we will have the answer.

The electorate deserve to know.

• Like 1

Does this then bring into doubt the result of the referendum due to the public being misinformed.

I'm sure in the weeks, months or maybe years to come we will have the answer.

The electorate deserve to know.

• Like 1

I was stating what the current effects of Brexit not what possible trade deals that might or might not be signed depending on whose leading the country ,not to mention the years it takes to negotiate these possible deals.

• Like 2

I was stating what the current effects of Brexit not what possible trade deals that might or might not be signed depending on whose leading the country ,not to mention the years it takes to negotiate these possible deals.

• Like 2