Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

The Brexit camp used Nigel Farage to con the public by scaremongery to achieve their victory. It’s no good now saying that he had nothing to do with us. He did and contributed to the Brexit victory.

Exactly imprimerie. The brexit campaign consisted almost entirely of "trust us" and "European immigrants cause all our problems". European immigrants were blamed for lack of jobs ( although unemployment is at one of the lowest levels it's ever been), lack of housing ( no mention of the fact that we haven't built enough houses for years ) and even immigrants are responsible for traffic jams on the M4.

A persecuted minority, large areas of the country feel they have no hope and now we have added a failing economy to the mix. Sound familiar?

• Like 1

I don't believe they did 'use' Mr. Farage to con the public. I think they tried to distance themselves as much as possible from his rhetoric and focus the voters' attention on the other factors which could swing the vote. I fully accept he played a big part in people's decisions. It was more the good cop, bad cop scenario to encourage people to confess their reasons for voting out and certainly some were persuaded by his argument. But many others voted out for more pragmatic reasons than just immigration. The slogan 'Take back control' was used if memory serves and that encompassed many more factors than just immigration. It was a team effort to win the referendum but the players just didn't seem to realise they were playing on the same team - even J. Corbyn might have been a member and scoring own goals without realising it. Ed

I don't believe they did 'use' Mr. Farage to con the public. I think they tried to distance themselves as much as possible from his rhetoric and focus the voters' attention on the other factors which could swing the vote. I fully accept he played a big part in people's decisions. It was more the good cop, bad cop scenario to encourage people to confess their reasons for voting out and certainly some were persuaded by his argument. But many others voted out for more pragmatic reasons than just immigration. The slogan 'Take back control' was used if memory serves and that encompassed many more factors than just immigration. It was a team effort to win the referendum but the players just didn't seem to realise they were playing on the same team - even J. Corbyn might have been a member and scoring own goals without realising it. Ed

I really am shocked that all you can say about the poster concerning immigration is that it is distasteful.

It is shocking and really shows the massive gulf between Britexit and almost half of the electorate who voted to remain.

We are poles apart and what is frightening is that I don't know what you can do to reunite the country when people have such different opinions.

• Like 2

I really am shocked that all you can say about the poster concerning immigration is that it is distasteful.

It is shocking and really shows the massive gulf between Britexit and almost half of the electorate who voted to remain.

We are poles apart and what is frightening is that I don't know what you can do to reunite the country when people have such different opinions.

• Like 2

You haven't heard that!

Didn't you see the poster that one of your leaders,Nigel Farage,was bandying about,showing thousands of immigrants and suggesting that they would be coming to the UK if we remained in Europe.Do you support this type of scaremongery?

Britain needs to be an active member in Europe to avoid extremism.

It is this membership that has brought the UK peace and stability for many years.

What a load of rubbish. "One of my leaders" don't be stupid .... I don't live in the EU... I live in the Isle of Man and if you come over here you will need a work permit !!! but please don't....

You haven't heard that!

Didn't you see the poster that one of your leaders,Nigel Farage,was bandying about,showing thousands of immigrants and suggesting that they would be coming to the UK if we remained in Europe.Do you support this type of scaremongery?

Britain needs to be an active member in Europe to avoid extremism.

It is this membership that has brought the UK peace and stability for many years.

What a load of rubbish. "One of my leaders" don't be stupid .... I don't live in the EU... I live in the Isle of Man and if you come over here you will need a work permit !!! but please don't....

The slogan 'Take back control' was used if memory serves and that encompassed many more factors than just immigration.

As you say "take back control" was the slogan. But it was just that, a slogan, back up by absolutely nothing else but the hatred of EU immigration and a vague assertion that Britain would be great again if it was isolated from those nasty controling Europeans.

• Like 1

The slogan 'Take back control' was used if memory serves and that encompassed many more factors than just immigration.

As you say "take back control" was the slogan. But it was just that, a slogan, back up by absolutely nothing else but the hatred of EU immigration and a vague assertion that Britain would be great again if it was isolated from those nasty controling Europeans.

• Like 1

I get the impression that a lot of people think that anyone who voted "Brexit" are against immigration - how untrue is this. I read that a high percentage of European immigrants in the UK, who by the way contribute substantially to the UK economy, and could vote actually voted for Brexit. There is a misconception about immigration.

I get the impression that a lot of people think that anyone who voted "Brexit" are against immigration - how untrue is this. I read that a high percentage of European immigrants in the UK, who by the way contribute substantially to the UK economy, and could vote actually voted for Brexit. There is a misconception about immigration.

Where did you read that?

Britexit is all about immigration.

They used Nigel Farage and now they don't want to know him.

And where I live?

I'm quite happy living in European France thank you!

• Like 2

Where did you read that?

And where I live?

• Like 2

It doesn't actually matter whether brexiteers are in favour of immigration or not. The fact is that the brexit compain went out of their way to create the impression that they were because they had nothing else concrete to offer..

• Like 1

It doesn't actually matter whether brexiteers are in favour of immigration or not. The fact is that the brexit compain went out of their way to create the impression that they were because they had nothing else concrete to offer..

• Like 1

Where did you read that?

And where I live?

I (and millions of others) would disagree with your analysis - Brexit is not ALL about immigration...

Where did you read that?

And where I live?

I (and millions of others) would disagree with your analysis - Brexit is not ALL about immigration...

What is it all about then that you and millions of others stand for ?

Well another reason would be to echo the sentiments of those who are disillusioned with Brussels. The loss of sovereignty inherent in EU membership had long irked a proportion of the population, as had regulation affecting the environment, working hours, workers’ rights, financial services and even domestic appliances. 40 years of drip-drip media coverage about the ‘out of touch’ bureaucrats in Brussels convinced a number of people to vote Leave. I remember listening to a representative of a Scottish Salmon company who thought it better to out of the EU because of the bureaucratic and costly regulations they were called upon to comply with. The number of regulations, most just silly, one being to re design their salmon packaging to include a health warning that "this food item contains fish".....

What is it all about then that you and millions of others stand for ?

Well another reason would be to echo the sentiments of those who are disillusioned with Brussels. The loss of sovereignty inherent in EU membership had long irked a proportion of the population, as had regulation affecting the environment, working hours, workers’ rights, financial services and even domestic appliances. 40 years of drip-drip media coverage about the ‘out of touch’ bureaucrats in Brussels convinced a number of people to vote Leave. I remember listening to a representative of a Scottish Salmon company who thought it better to out of the EU because of the bureaucratic and costly regulations they were called upon to comply with. The number of regulations, most just silly, one being to re design their salmon packaging to include a health warning that "this food item contains fish".....

Well as you are talking about the Scots they definately want to stay in and could well put a spanner in the works regarding Brexit.

:eek: :rolleyes: every one has an opinion... but it's over....

Well as you are talking about the Scots they definately want to stay in and could well put a spanner in the works regarding Brexit.

:eek: :rolleyes: every one has an opinion... but it's over....