Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

What a load of rubbish. "One of my leaders" don't be stupid .... I don't live in the EU... I live in the Isle of Man and if you come over here you will need a work permit !!! but please don't....

Let me get this straight. Am I correct that you are somebody living in a tax haven in the middle of the Irish Sea in a country that has never been in the EU and with an electoral system that may not be perfect but is a least more democratic than the GB one? I'm glad to hear that you are of the opinion that everything is now utopian in GB. I, sitting reading the press, am told that the £, already at a 31 year low, may well hit parity with the $ in the coming months with all the implications for price rises that would bring. Meanwhile, one of the largest employers in Dorset, actually a quite depressed area, because of the brexit vote, are moving their production for the EU and the rest of the world to Germany leaving only GB production remaining in Poole. Still at least weve got our country back, what's going to be left of it anyway.

• Like 2

Britain is living through the best of times and the worst of times

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Have to say this thread is starting to repeat itself a little. In the article I've linked there's probably a fair bit we can all agree on. Nick.

I think your right Nick, it's an interesting article I'm sure there's different parts there that everyone would find they could agree with. You are also right that the thread is perhaps beginning to repeat itself slightly but that is, I would have thought, inevitable. The reprecussions of the leave vote will be with us for many many years. For years to come bad things and maybe even some good things will occour that people might wish to point out.

Britain is living through the best of times and the worst of times

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Have to say this thread is starting to repeat itself a little. In the article I've linked there's probably a fair bit we can all agree on. Nick.

I think your right Nick, it's an interesting article I'm sure there's different parts there that everyone would find they could agree with. You are also right that the thread is perhaps beginning to repeat itself slightly but that is, I would have thought, inevitable. The reprecussions of the leave vote will be with us for many many years. For years to come bad things and maybe even some good things will occour that people might wish to point out.

Let me get this straight. Am I correct that you are somebody living in a tax haven in the middle of the Irish Sea in a country that has never been in the EU and with an electoral system that may not be perfect but is a least more democratic than the GB one? I'm glad to hear that you are of the opinion that everything is now utopian in GB. I, sitting reading the press, am told that the £, already at a 31 year low, may well hit parity with the $ in the coming months with all the implications for price rises that would bring. Meanwhile, one of the largest employers in Dorset, actually a quite depressed area, because of the brexit vote, are moving their production for the EU and the rest of the world to Germany leaving only GB production remaining in Poole. Still at least weve got our country back, what's going to be left of it anyway.

I assume that company is Curtis Wright in Bridport. In 2013 they were ranked number 52 in the county in terms of turnover and the reports in the Dorset Echo say that 30 jobs are at risk. The company itself is simply streamlining its business activities - something that happens all the time and is very unfortunate for the workforce, especially in small communities, but perfectly logical - and was planned well before the referendum it seems. Would a different result have changed things? Probably not but we may never know. I think it is important not to exaggerate such events, nor give undue status to companies (52 is not a very significant place) in this type of discussion. There are probably 10 such decisions taken each day among UK companies and another 10 to recruit more workers which we never hear about. The press prefers bad news to good. There was good news from Jaguar / Land Rover a couple of months ago and I don't believe they have backtracked due to the Brexit vote. Such decisions take months or years of planning so attributing such a decision to a vote 10 days ago is unrealistic. Ed.

I assume that company is Curtis Wright in Bridport. In 2013 they were ranked number 52 in the county in terms of turnover and the reports in the Dorset Echo say that 30 jobs are at risk. The company itself is simply streamlining its business activities - something that happens all the time and is very unfortunate for the workforce, especially in small communities, but perfectly logical - and was planned well before the referendum it seems. Would a different result have changed things? Probably not but we may never know. I think it is important not to exaggerate such events, nor give undue status to companies (52 is not a very significant place) in this type of discussion. There are probably 10 such decisions taken each day among UK companies and another 10 to recruit more workers which we never hear about. The press prefers bad news to good. There was good news from Jaguar / Land Rover a couple of months ago and I don't believe they have backtracked due to the Brexit vote. Such decisions take months or years of planning so attributing such a decision to a vote 10 days ago is unrealistic. Ed.

No, I was actually referring to Lush a Poole company employing over 2000 people.

http://www.b.co.uk/Company/Profile/306244

No, I was actually referring to Lush a Poole company employing over 2000 people.

Let me get this straight. Am I correct that you are somebody living in a tax haven in the middle of the Irish Sea in a country that has never been in the EU

I prefer the correct definition of "highly regulated low tax area"

Let me get this straight. Am I correct that you are somebody living in a tax haven in the middle of the Irish Sea in a country that has never been in the EU

So that makes two of them then. My wife will have to start a boycott of their products if the boss has that opinion. He does seem to be over-reacting. He says that overseas workers weren't wanted by the local population which is not what the referendum asked at all. He also says there should be no local job losses. I think he might be shooting himself in the foot as 52% of his UK customers presumably voted to leave and 58% of his local workforce, customers, suppliers and probably creditors also voted out. Is he saying they are wrong and their democratic decision is null and void? Ed

Here is the report :

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14601945.Lush_founder__Voters_said_they_don_t_want_our_EU_staff___we_ll_grow_our_business_in_Germany_instead/%3Fref%3Drss&ved=0ahUKEwiA5Jm4tOHNAhWJtBoKHZxDA7IQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOwLmVgT6NSHT6dc0N2gfARG0VeA&sig2=h45yZ8S_2zip70JHF-KQMw

So that makes two of them then. My wife will have to start a boycott of their products if the boss has that opinion. He does seem to be over-reacting. He says that overseas workers weren't wanted by the local population which is not what the referendum asked at all. He also says there should be no local job losses. I think he might be shooting himself in the foot as 52% of his UK customers presumably voted to leave and 58% of his local workforce, customers, suppliers and probably creditors also voted out. Is he saying they are wrong and their democratic decision is null and void? Ed

Here is the report :

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14601945.Lush_founder__Voters_said_they_don_t_want_our_EU_staff___we_ll_grow_our_business_in_Germany_instead/%3Fref%3Drss&ved=0ahUKEwiA5Jm4tOHNAhWJtBoKHZxDA7IQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOwLmVgT6NSHT6dc0N2gfARG0VeA&sig2=h45yZ8S_2zip70JHF-KQMw

G4rth, the problem with Lush is the lies they told to consumers regarding ingredients. Methylisothiazolinone, polyquaternium 7, SLS SLES, parabens.

You can buy my stuff for half the price with none of it in but I can't advertise on BFE...

G4rth, the problem with Lush is the lies they told to consumers regarding ingredients. Methylisothiazolinone, polyquaternium 7, SLS SLES, parabens.

You can buy my stuff for half the price with none of it in but I can't advertise on BFE...

It amazes me that Britexit supporters will take all risks that have to be taken simply to get out of Europe.

However in their personal lives they probably don't take any risks at all.

It's amazing to what levels they are prepared to descend to because of their deep dislike of Europe.

• Like 1

It amazes me that Britexit supporters will take all risks that have to be taken simply to get out of Europe.

It's amazing to what levels they are prepared to descend to because of their deep dislike of Europe.

• Like 1

How much more damage must be done to the country to convince Britexit of the damage that they are causing to the country.

To them it is all worth it.

Even if it brings the country down to it's knees!

• Like 2

How much more damage must be done to the country to convince Britexit of the damage that they are causing to the country.

To them it is all worth it.

Even if it brings the country down to it's knees!

• Like 2

Imprimerie, the only one showing any dislike is yourself toward those who voted opposite to you. If the referendum went in your favour, do you think the likes of me or Manxscorpio would be on here banging on about it?

Just so we're clear and to kill the myth that all leave voters are myopic knuckledraggers..

My sister practices law, her husband has his accountancy firm.

My wife is a senior medical consultant as was her Dutch mother, whose family owned salvage tugs in Rotterdam and spent WW2 rescuing Tribal Class destroyers in the Channel & North Sea plus towed Mulberry Harbours to Normandy. Her father was also a medical consultant, her brother is a schoolteacher...

Her uncle is a retired P&O Commodore...

Finally me... In the last 12 months I've had a book published with a deal for another three and been selling my own bathroom products in Europe. (I didn't think the book thing would work out.)

There's more but it's boring.

Now, you've had the CV and I think you'll agree none of us are from the shallow end of gene pool...

So why do you think we all voted to leave?

As for risks mate, don't even go there or even begin to presume.

I'll be amazed if i'm back on here, This site is becoming far too personal with those equally in the dark as the rest of us acting like experts.

• Like 1

Imprimerie, the only one showing any dislike is yourself toward those who voted opposite to you. If the referendum went in your favour, do you think the likes of me or Manxscorpio would be on here banging on about it?

Just so we're clear and to kill the myth that all leave voters are myopic knuckledraggers..

My wife is a senior medical consultant as was her Dutch mother, whose family owned salvage tugs in Rotterdam and spent WW2 rescuing Tribal Class destroyers in the Channel & North Sea plus towed Mulberry Harbours to Normandy. Her father was also a medical consultant, her brother is a schoolteacher...

Finally me... In the last 12 months I've had a book published with a deal for another three and been selling my own bathroom products in Europe. (I didn't think the book thing would work out.)

Now, you've had the CV and I think you'll agree none of us are from the shallow end of gene pool...

I'll be amazed if i'm back on here, This site is becoming far too personal with those equally in the dark as the rest of us acting like experts.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's well regulated, the BVI say they are as well and it's probably true. I think you'll find tax rates, to a majority of the population, are what defines a tax haven not how well its regulated.

I wasnt trying to place an advert for Lush merely relaying the comments of the companies owners. In fact I cant even walk past their shops, they make me sneeze too much...

I'll be amazed if I'm back on here, This site is becoming far too personal with those equally in the dark as the rest of us acting like experts.

I don't doubt you and your family are intelligent, fine upstanding citizens. But as someone who wished to remain in the EU that doesn't really help me understand why anyone would vote to leave. Quite the reverse in fact.

Edited by G4rth
  • Like 1

I'm sure it's well regulated, the BVI say they are as well and it's probably true. I think you'll find tax rates, to a majority of the population, are what defines a tax haven not how well its regulated.

I wasnt trying to place an advert for Lush merely relaying the comments of the companies owners. In fact I cant even walk past their shops, they make me sneeze too much...

I'll be amazed if I'm back on here, This site is becoming far too personal with those equally in the dark as the rest of us acting like experts.

I don't doubt you and your family are intelligent, fine upstanding citizens. But as someone who wished to remain in the EU that doesn't really help me understand why anyone would vote to leave. Quite the reverse in fact.

Edited by G4rth
  • Like 1