Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

I'm so elated, I'm so happy, things are wonderful now, I can spend again, I've bought the dog a new bone, now all I need is a dog.

With all the resignations and events since the referendum I cannot see how the result should stand

Such a small majority does not qualify for so much change.

Lets hope the UK vote again.

• Like 1

I'm so elated, I'm so happy, things are wonderful now, I can spend again, I've bought the dog a new bone, now all I need is a dog.

With all the resignations and events since the referendum I cannot see how the result should stand

• Like 1

Pease don't take this as a criticism of your political standing - I just want to check that I understand your priorities: a) the UK remains united and stays in Europe or b) Scotland stays in Europe what ever the cost. If the former, I must therefore assume that you also hate Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP and the notion of Scottish independence as they would harm the UK by precipitating its breakup. Ed.

I got constantly told by my English friends that Scotland was subsidised by the rest of the U.K. So Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU shouldn't harm the rest of the U.K.

Pease don't take this as a criticism of your political standing - I just want to check that I understand your priorities: a) the UK remains united and stays in Europe or b) Scotland stays in Europe what ever the cost. If the former, I must therefore assume that you also hate Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP and the notion of Scottish independence as they would harm the UK by precipitating its breakup. Ed.

I got constantly told by my English friends that Scotland was subsidised by the rest of the U.K. So Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU shouldn't harm the rest of the U.K.

In the words of the late great Roy Orbison... "It's Over"......:)

Guest Guest
[/i]

"degenerates"? Really.....

"Doh! You know very well I know all that! Evidence of admiration of Civil Service, please. Stop being a Gove! smile.png"

Actually I don't know you know that.....:eek:... Lets hope you are a minority in giving up and waving the white flag

You Chaps must really hate the UK.... :confused:...

Do you ever answer a question, MS?

Diversionary tactic of trying to write something amusing doesn't deflect me from the discussion

I don't hate the UK - though it is trying my patience! ;) And the fact that I am here arguing my case surely means I haven't given up. :D

Guest Guest
[/i]

"degenerates"? Really.....

"Doh! You know very well I know all that! Evidence of admiration of Civil Service, please. Stop being a Gove! smile.png"

Actually I don't know you know that.....:eek:... Lets hope you are a minority in giving up and waving the white flag

You Chaps must really hate the UK.... :confused:...

Do you ever answer a question, MS?

Diversionary tactic of trying to write something amusing doesn't deflect me from the discussion

I don't hate the UK - though it is trying my patience! ;) And the fact that I am here arguing my case surely means I haven't given up. :D

You're right Neil, Scotland voting for independence wouldn't harm the rest of the U.K, I think it's something they will look at again in depth when all of the emotion has settled especially as now they have become a one party nation.

Would it harm Scotland?

One argument against Brexit is cutting the ties of being in the free trade agreement with our largest partner. Wouldn't Scotland be doing the same?

There's the defence argument, some are saying that they give HMG £3.5bn a year toward it and with independence would see them needing only to spend 1.5% of their GDP... 1.5% of a £216bn GDP is still £3.4bn...

The fossil fuels... Through population proportion Scotland would only control 9%... the same population proportion equation Scotland want to invoke for the military seeing them receive £7bn worth of UK land based military assets... The equation would work both ways. It's called Reciprocal Resolution.

Scotland would save £200m scrapping Trident... Quite true but the UK won't be scrapping Trident, they'll be relocating it to Milford where all of the workforce will bolster the Pembrokeshire coffers off setting the £200m spend... The UK would also save MIRV warhead transportation costs from Aldermaston too.

85% of the food export is Whiskey of which 80% of that is foreign owned. The Banks are UK owned, The refineries are Chinese owned...

Scotland are not a sovereign state and have no official territorial waters. They would not be a member of NATO without going through the same protracted ascension procedures as joining the EU would.

The Scottish people don't want the euro.

It's difficult to say the least especially as both Juncker & Schulz have publically stated that an independence referendum would need to take place before any EU negotiations can take place.

Mind you if Turkey can have have Visa free movement throughout Schengen from October this year, I can't see why the Scottish people can't.

• Like 1

You're right Neil, Scotland voting for independence wouldn't harm the rest of the U.K, I think it's something they will look at again in depth when all of the emotion has settled especially as now they have become a one party nation.

Would it harm Scotland?

One argument against Brexit is cutting the ties of being in the free trade agreement with our largest partner. Wouldn't Scotland be doing the same?

There's the defence argument, some are saying that they give HMG £3.5bn a year toward it and with independence would see them needing only to spend 1.5% of their GDP... 1.5% of a £216bn GDP is still £3.4bn...

The fossil fuels... Through population proportion Scotland would only control 9%... the same population proportion equation Scotland want to invoke for the military seeing them receive £7bn worth of UK land based military assets... The equation would work both ways. It's called Reciprocal Resolution.

Scotland would save £200m scrapping Trident... Quite true but the UK won't be scrapping Trident, they'll be relocating it to Milford where all of the workforce will bolster the Pembrokeshire coffers off setting the £200m spend... The UK would also save MIRV warhead transportation costs from Aldermaston too.

85% of the food export is Whiskey of which 80% of that is foreign owned. The Banks are UK owned, The refineries are Chinese owned...

Scotland are not a sovereign state and have no official territorial waters. They would not be a member of NATO without going through the same protracted ascension procedures as joining the EU would.

The Scottish people don't want the euro.

It's difficult to say the least especially as both Juncker & Schulz have publically stated that an independence referendum would need to take place before any EU negotiations can take place.

Mind you if Turkey can have have Visa free movement throughout Schengen from October this year, I can't see why the Scottish people can't.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Aww, sad song.

The last verse minus chorus goes:

"All the rainbows in the sky

Start to weep, then say goodbye

You won't be seeing rainbows any more

Setting suns before they fall,

Echo to you that's all that's all

But you'll see lonely sunset after all."

The sun goes down over a lonely UK.

Good to see that Siemens will continue to invest in the UK, though.

Guest Guest

Aww, sad song.

The last verse minus chorus goes:

"All the rainbows in the sky

Start to weep, then say goodbye

You won't be seeing rainbows any more

Setting suns before they fall,

Echo to you that's all that's all

But you'll see lonely sunset after all."

The sun goes down over a lonely UK.

Interesting to note that Siemens were extremely vocal with their warnings over Brexit, specifically stating “This uncertainty, and threat of increased costs, could make the UK a less attractive place to do business and may become a factor when Siemens is considering future investment here.”

Could it be that they were helping to spread Cameron's project fear porkies? Their CEO said this morning “We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU”

Interesting to note that Siemens were extremely vocal with their warnings over Brexit, specifically stating “This uncertainty, and threat of increased costs, could make the UK a less attractive place to do business and may become a factor when Siemens is considering future investment here.”

Could it be that they were helping to spread Cameron's project fear porkies? Their CEO said this morning “We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU”

Interesting to note that Siemens were extremely vocal with their warnings over Brexit, specifically stating This uncertainty, and threat of increased costs, could make the UK a less attractive place to do business and may become a factor when Siemens is considering future investment here.

Could it be that they were helping to spread Cameron's project fear porkies? Their CEO said this morning We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU

Project fear porkies weren't porkies judging by the state of the pound and the amount of financial companies leaving London to name but a couple of points.

• Like 1

Interesting to note that Siemens were extremely vocal with their warnings over Brexit, specifically stating This uncertainty, and threat of increased costs, could make the UK a less attractive place to do business and may become a factor when Siemens is considering future investment here.

Could it be that they were helping to spread Cameron's project fear porkies? Their CEO said this morning We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU

Project fear porkies weren't porkies judging by the state of the pound and the amount of financial companies leaving London to name but a couple of points.

• Like 1

Neil you are right that Scotland leaving the union should not harm the rest of the UK, at least not financially. And Jonno has very clearly set out the various reasons. In the short term the damage would be to the Scottish economy. When you had your referendum two years ago the question was over how long it would take to split from the UK, then rejoin the EU and other institutions while still getting those subsidies right up to independence day. All the EU's energy would have been focused on helping your transition. I feel that in the present situation Scotland's situation will not be the priority and you may find it much harder to make that transition. My point about the harm done to the UK was not really financial as I believe we get far more out of the current situation than can be quantified with pounds and pence. You can't put a price on the intangible benefits of culture, tourism, heritage, tradition, history, family ties, innovation, architecture, politics, food and drink, sport and even climate. There may be other factors I have forgotten but what I find strange is that it is only the 9th (politics) which really drives Scottish nationalists' desire for independence. From speaking to friends and family north of the border all the other factors are points of commonality and should really reinforce the bond we have. Which is why I think so many people voted to leave Europe as those bonds are so much weaker and the political issue is just the cherry on the cake to justify their choice. Ed.

Neil you are right that Scotland leaving the union should not harm the rest of the UK, at least not financially. And Jonno has very clearly set out the various reasons. In the short term the damage would be to the Scottish economy. When you had your referendum two years ago the question was over how long it would take to split from the UK, then rejoin the EU and other institutions while still getting those subsidies right up to independence day. All the EU's energy would have been focused on helping your transition. I feel that in the present situation Scotland's situation will not be the priority and you may find it much harder to make that transition. My point about the harm done to the UK was not really financial as I believe we get far more out of the current situation than can be quantified with pounds and pence. You can't put a price on the intangible benefits of culture, tourism, heritage, tradition, history, family ties, innovation, architecture, politics, food and drink, sport and even climate. There may be other factors I have forgotten but what I find strange is that it is only the 9th (politics) which really drives Scottish nationalists' desire for independence. From speaking to friends and family north of the border all the other factors are points of commonality and should really reinforce the bond we have. Which is why I think so many people voted to leave Europe as those bonds are so much weaker and the political issue is just the cherry on the cake to justify their choice. Ed.

Britexiters make me laugh.

Most of their leaders gone.

Pound dropping like a stone.

Economists are all stupid especially whenever they say that leaving the EU is bad.

The break up of the UK won't be bad for the country because we'll sail through and Brittania will rule the waves.

Treating the 48 percent plus who voted to leave with contempt will never unite the country.

Let's hope the PM see sense and puts off the potential disaster until everything cools down and the UK can have a General Election or another Referendum without the lies we had from Britexit.

Edited by imprimerie
  • Like 1

Britexiters make me laugh.

Most of their leaders gone.

Pound dropping like a stone.

Economists are all stupid especially whenever they say that leaving the EU is bad.

The break up of the UK won't be bad for the country because we'll sail through and Brittania will rule the waves.

Treating the 48 percent plus who voted to leave with contempt will never unite the country.

Let's hope the PM see sense and puts off the potential disaster until everything cools down and the UK can have a General Election or another Referendum without the lies we had from Britexit.

Edited by imprimerie
  • Like 1

Which financial companies are leaving London, or are we still looking at pre referendum threats and post referendum hysteria? As for the pound, it'll stabilize at around 1.22 (currently at 1.20) against the euro and 1.35 (1.32) against the dollar... Ideal for trade making the UK most attractive especially to our biggest single export market, the US.

Let's remember that it's less than 2 years since sterling was worth €1.20 and I can't remember anyone saying it was in a state then.

• Like 1

Which financial companies are leaving London, or are we still looking at pre referendum threats and post referendum hysteria? As for the pound, it'll stabilize at around 1.22 (currently at 1.20) against the euro and 1.35 (1.32) against the dollar... Ideal for trade making the UK most attractive especially to our biggest single export market, the US.

Let's remember that it's less than 2 years since sterling was worth €1.20 and I can't remember anyone saying it was in a state then.

• Like 1