Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

Guest Guest

She cannot be serious.

What a farce. I thought the lady had class.

Wrong!!

Guest Guest

She cannot be serious.

Wrong!!

Guest Guest
Actually Jonno your detailed analysis will fly over the heads of many

Condescending, or what??? Such arrogance. I'm gobsmacked.

Guest Guest
Actually Jonno your detailed analysis will fly over the heads of many

Condescending, or what??? Such arrogance. I'm gobsmacked.

She cannot be serious.

Wrong!!

Why? If they get a bad deal then no one else to blame but the very head honchos of Brexit. Thought it was quite obvious choice for Foreign Sec. Got that one right myself.

She cannot be serious.

Wrong!!

Why? If they get a bad deal then no one else to blame but the very head honchos of Brexit. Thought it was quite obvious choice for Foreign Sec. Got that one right myself.

Guest Guest

And if I would prefer a good deal ... ?

Guest Guest

Best to hope for a bad deal then at least you're not going to be disappointed. Hope for anything else and you might be.:)

Best to hope for a bad deal then at least you're not going to be disappointed. Hope for anything else and you might be.:)

Guest Guest

It served the Romans and the Chinese well to put an opponent in charge of overseas campaigns. Perhaps that is behind Mrs May's thinking. I suppose that as the FCO is no longer responsible for dealing with Europe, Boris has at least got a smaller department.

However, I'm thinking that EU governments will view his appointment as something as a snub.Not really the way to go about getting a good deal.

Now, why would anyone wish to obtain a bad deal for their country? Is your reasoning that a bad deal will lead to a second referendum?

I think not. No PM would appoint an idiot as a foreign minister, even with with a murky plot in mind. David Davis, on the other hand, I do have a little time for.

I see that Boris' famous zipwire photo is being used on the front of The Mirror. Some of you may be aware of the recent front page of French paper Libération, where the same photo was used. Alongside the words, "Good luck!"

You'll need it, UK.

Edited by droopsnout
Correction of Davies to Davis.

Guest Guest

It served the Romans and the Chinese well to put an opponent in charge of overseas campaigns. Perhaps that is behind Mrs May's thinking. I suppose that as the FCO is no longer responsible for dealing with Europe, Boris has at least got a smaller department.

However, I'm thinking that EU governments will view his appointment as something as a snub.Not really the way to go about getting a good deal.

Now, why would anyone wish to obtain a bad deal for their country? Is your reasoning that a bad deal will lead to a second referendum?

I think not. No PM would appoint an idiot as a foreign minister, even with with a murky plot in mind. David Davis, on the other hand, I do have a little time for.

I see that Boris' famous zipwire photo is being used on the front of The Mirror. Some of you may be aware of the recent front page of French paper Libération, where the same photo was used. Alongside the words, "Good luck!"

You'll need it, UK.

Edited by droopsnout
Correction of Davies to Davis.

Suffice to say the UK has not contributed a cent of so-called EU bailout funds since the early funding at a low level in 2010/11, all of which proved a very good move and was subsequently recovered as our trading partners (Ireland and Portugal in those cases) weathered the storm. And the UK is exempt from making any further contributions to bailout funds in the eurozone going forward.

If you could substantiate the £175bn figure and the thing about toilet roll quotas that would be fab.

hhv, the toilet roll figures were an example of how manufacturing is effected in regard to limited quota trading, the company is based in Blackburn and is known well by my extended family and manufactures other soft tissue products too.

I'm personally involved with a fancy goods importer based in Sheffield who brings in products from China, India and other Asian countries. there are financial penalties if quotas are breached even though more of the goods could be sold on British high streets.

Direct EU bailout involvement. €6.9bn to ROI Nov' 2010. €3.5bn to Portugal May 2011. Collectively €4.5bn to Greece, in '10, '12, '15, Spain in '12 & Cyprus in '12. This was our contribution through the IMF. There has also been another €855m paid out from our EU budget share.

I'd like know how either Portugal or the ROI has found a surplus 10.4bn euros to pay us back with. The Portuguese economy only grew by 0.9% in 2014 upto 1.6% in 2015... The ROI's export growth has dropped sharply from 9.7% in 2014 to 3.9% in 2015...

We pay £342bn into the EU budget annually of which £167bn is returned as rebate for the likes of Agriculture, Fisheries etc...

Hence the reason why Farage's NHS idiocy was laughed at.

Suffice to say the UK has not contributed a cent of so-called EU bailout funds since the early funding at a low level in 2010/11, all of which proved a very good move and was subsequently recovered as our trading partners (Ireland and Portugal in those cases) weathered the storm. And the UK is exempt from making any further contributions to bailout funds in the eurozone going forward.

If you could substantiate the £175bn figure and the thing about toilet roll quotas that would be fab.

hhv, the toilet roll figures were an example of how manufacturing is effected in regard to limited quota trading, the company is based in Blackburn and is known well by my extended family and manufactures other soft tissue products too.

I'm personally involved with a fancy goods importer based in Sheffield who brings in products from China, India and other Asian countries. there are financial penalties if quotas are breached even though more of the goods could be sold on British high streets.

Direct EU bailout involvement. €6.9bn to ROI Nov' 2010. €3.5bn to Portugal May 2011. Collectively €4.5bn to Greece, in '10, '12, '15, Spain in '12 & Cyprus in '12. This was our contribution through the IMF. There has also been another €855m paid out from our EU budget share.

I'd like know how either Portugal or the ROI has found a surplus 10.4bn euros to pay us back with. The Portuguese economy only grew by 0.9% in 2014 upto 1.6% in 2015... The ROI's export growth has dropped sharply from 9.7% in 2014 to 3.9% in 2015...

We pay £342bn into the EU budget annually of which £167bn is returned as rebate for the likes of Agriculture, Fisheries etc...

Slam Dunk......Jonno don't even respond.... I remeber IZAL.... LOL....:o

I remember using San Izal during maths in school as tracing paper, you can guess how much fun we had with that! I've got 4000 organza bags if they want to carry it??

Slam Dunk......Jonno don't even respond.... I remeber IZAL.... LOL....:o

I remember using San Izal during maths in school as tracing paper, you can guess how much fun we had with that! I've got 4000 organza bags if they want to carry it??

Also it carried a good tune if wrapped around a plastic comb and Izal/bronco ..........................

• Like 1

Also it carried a good tune if wrapped around a plastic comb and Izal/bronco ..........................

• Like 1

Perhaps in the interests of balance we could hear from a British or European manufacturers of toilet rolls. Maybe even some of the Chinese, Indian or far east employees of the fancy goods manufacturers. I for one would be very interested to hear what they have to say.

Direct EU bailout involvement. 6.9bn to ROI Nov' 2010.

Perhaps rather an insignificant amount when you consider the £14bn bailout that the British government gave Ireland via RBS and Lloyds, which was totally unconnected to the EU.

Perhaps in the interests of balance we could hear from a British or European manufacturers of toilet rolls. Maybe even some of the Chinese, Indian or far east employees of the fancy goods manufacturers. I for one would be very interested to hear what they have to say.

Direct EU bailout involvement. 6.9bn to ROI Nov' 2010.

Perhaps rather an insignificant amount when you consider the £14bn bailout that the British government gave Ireland via RBS and Lloyds, which was totally unconnected to the EU.

Direct EU bailout involvement. 6.9bn to ROI Nov' 2010. 3.5bn to Portugal May 2011. Collectively 4.5bn to Greece, in '10, '12, '15, Spain in '12 & Cyprus in '12. This was our contribution through the IMF. There has also been another 855m paid out from our EU budget share.

I can't see the relevance of UK monies which have flowed via the IMF unless you are suggesting the UK should withdraw from any involvement in world affairs. That is not really relevant to whether the UK stays in the union.

Could you point us in the direction of the relevant pieces of European legislation re the toilet rolls though as I'd be interested to see which bit is snarling things up. There are protectionist things built into all trade deals but they usually focus on foodstuffs etc as well as anti dumping legislation, none of which will disappear if the UK goes it alone. Parts will be more UKcentric for sure but we will be hard pressed to protect all industries. That's the nature of negotiation though, especially when you are in a very weak starting point like the UK is vs Europe.

More importantly though, could you source the £342bn/£175bn figures as they are so far away, by a factor of about 20, to the actual UK gross/net budget contributions that I'm afraid we may be discussing different things.