Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

Boris has played a blinder, see how the campaign is going and if Leave have a chance, jump on that band wagon to ensure he can sway the result and then he gets rid of Cameron, then the next man in the running for OM Osborne and anyone else on the remain side. He now has a clear path to being PM. That's all it was for him and people believed otherwise.

• Like 1

Unfortunately with the vote so close and less than 3 quarters of those allowed to vote choosing to do so we are in a position where the people who voted Leave for a joke thinking it would not happen and those voting purely on football rivalry have probably swung it. A lot of people have said they did not vote as they were not sure but happier that things stay the same....so should have voted remain. I think the vote was not necessarily wholly based on the EU. A lot of votes were to stick fingers up to UK politics in general and now with both main parties in a mews they have got their way. Now we need a proper EU referendum with everyone voting as mandatory. More information about what things may change have started to come out that were never mentioned by the campaigners. The TV debates were a waste of time and gave away nothing. It was posturing for number 10 and leaderships. Its all about Boris and Jeremy Corbyn now, not the BREXIT. I think the vote was dangerously close and won't do us any good at all. It would have been better 70/30 but would never be.

I largely agree with this. I think this referendum thing was not at all well thought out but unfortunately this is typical of a lot of British legislation in modern times. I don't suppose it was thought the result could lead to the break-up of the UK with the Scots lead by Nicola Sturgeon threatening UDI (unilateral declaration of independence). Best of luck to them say I. Immigration seems to have been a largely Southern English issue apart from London and ought not to influence Scottish affairs. If Scotland does become independent what about the Anglo-Scottish border? Couldn't immigrants from the EU go to Scotland and then cross into England unless there is a new Hadrian's Wall to stop them? Some might find this funny but it seems this referendum result has caught out the smug and complacent -- and badly.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion
  • Like 2

Unfortunately with the vote so close and less than 3 quarters of those allowed to vote choosing to do so we are in a position where the people who voted Leave for a joke thinking it would not happen and those voting purely on football rivalry have probably swung it. A lot of people have said they did not vote as they were not sure but happier that things stay the same....so should have voted remain. I think the vote was not necessarily wholly based on the EU. A lot of votes were to stick fingers up to UK politics in general and now with both main parties in a mews they have got their way. Now we need a proper EU referendum with everyone voting as mandatory. More information about what things may change have started to come out that were never mentioned by the campaigners. The TV debates were a waste of time and gave away nothing. It was posturing for number 10 and leaderships. Its all about Boris and Jeremy Corbyn now, not the BREXIT. I think the vote was dangerously close and won't do us any good at all. It would have been better 70/30 but would never be.

I largely agree with this. I think this referendum thing was not at all well thought out but unfortunately this is typical of a lot of British legislation in modern times. I don't suppose it was thought the result could lead to the break-up of the UK with the Scots lead by Nicola Sturgeon threatening UDI (unilateral declaration of independence). Best of luck to them say I. Immigration seems to have been a largely Southern English issue apart from London and ought not to influence Scottish affairs. If Scotland does become independent what about the Anglo-Scottish border? Couldn't immigrants from the EU go to Scotland and then cross into England unless there is a new Hadrian's Wall to stop them? Some might find this funny but it seems this referendum result has caught out the smug and complacent -- and badly.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion
  • Like 2

Immigration seems to have been a largely Southern English issue apart from London.
This is, with respect, absolute rubbish. It was predictable that the home counties and much of southern England would vote the way they did. The key electorate were the urban working poor in the north of England - swathes of solid Labour voters whose over-riding preoccupation was immigration and who turned out in numbers not seen in generations.

It is, in my view, a terrible example of parts of society voting against their own self-interest (akin to working class, red-state Republicans in the US) as it will lead to less EU investment in these poorer areas and, with Scottish independence, perpetual Tory government in England (and they will not show much interest in retaining those investments).

But for many perhaps the view was that things just couldn't get any worse and it was worth a roll of the dice - I can understand the despair, but I despair at the choice.

• Like 3

Immigration seems to have been a largely Southern English issue apart from London.
This is, with respect, absolute rubbish. It was predictable that the home counties and much of southern England would vote the way they did. The key electorate were the urban working poor in the north of England - swathes of solid Labour voters whose over-riding preoccupation was immigration and who turned out in numbers not seen in generations.

It is, in my view, a terrible example of parts of society voting against their own self-interest (akin to working class, red-state Republicans in the US) as it will lead to less EU investment in these poorer areas and, with Scottish independence, perpetual Tory government in England (and they will not show much interest in retaining those investments).

But for many perhaps the view was that things just couldn't get any worse and it was worth a roll of the dice - I can understand the despair, but I despair at the choice.

• Like 3

OK, so it's absolute rubbish but there are a lot of East Europeans living and working in the south of England.

Interesting to read in the links in posts #43 and 44 that the result of the referendum is purely advisory. As in British constitutional law Parliament is supreme it is not bound by the result. Thus in the light of the multiplicity of difficulties attendant upon Brexit what's the betting the next PM will try and get out of withdrawing from the EU?

One such difficulty could be the validity of current British passports -- "European Communities Model" I seem to recall. I must check what it says on mine!

OK, so it's absolute rubbish but there are a lot of East Europeans living and working in the south of England.

Interesting to read in the links in posts #43 and 44 that the result of the referendum is purely advisory. As in British constitutional law Parliament is supreme it is not bound by the result. Thus in the light of the multiplicity of difficulties attendant upon Brexit what's the betting the next PM will try and get out of withdrawing from the EU?

One such difficulty could be the validity of current British passports -- "European Communities Model" I seem to recall. I must check what it says on mine!

I'd love to know how Scotland will fund their own defence and border controls, police, fire & ambulance. There'd be no NHS just as the rest of the EU even though a greater proportion of their members GDP is spent on health. Their money, what little they'll have, will be added to the EU's budget and then there's the Euro... Scotland's economy generates less than Latvia's or Greece. They'll end up another country the wealthiest 10 will need to bail out.

I think everyone needs to calm down now. The vote is done and I personally think it's time for those at the heart of it to stop throwing their dummies out of the pram and get on with the job.

Me? I don't think the likes of Johnson or May will get anywhere near No10, I'm hoping for a fresh approach, someone like Stephen Crabb, oh and Benn for the other lot

I'd love to know how Scotland will fund their own defence and border controls, police, fire & ambulance. There'd be no NHS just as the rest of the EU even though a greater proportion of their members GDP is spent on health. Their money, what little they'll have, will be added to the EU's budget and then there's the Euro... Scotland's economy generates less than Latvia's or Greece. They'll end up another country the wealthiest 10 will need to bail out.

I think everyone needs to calm down now. The vote is done and I personally think it's time for those at the heart of it to stop throwing their dummies out of the pram and get on with the job.

Me? I don't think the likes of Johnson or May will get anywhere near No10, I'm hoping for a fresh approach, someone like Stephen Crabb, oh and Benn for the other lot

Not allowed to use F words on here - but Crabb? No chance, he's already proven himself the child of Duncan Smith. Lot of words I'd like to call him, none allowed here so I'll just say he isn't the nice man I thought he might be - won't trust him with the disabled or those on low incomes.

• Like 1

Not allowed to use F words on here - but Crabb? No chance, he's already proven himself the child of Duncan Smith. Lot of words I'd like to call him, none allowed here so I'll just say he isn't the nice man I thought he might be - won't trust him with the disabled or those on low incomes.

• Like 1

It's laughable that people think that the leave vote heralds a new start a new approach it doesn't it just means more if the same old crapping on the poor and disabled in society and the rich getting richer, I dread to think what an idiot like Crabb would do if he was in charge.

• Like 1

It's laughable that people think that the leave vote heralds a new start a new approach it doesn't it just means more if the same old crapping on the poor and disabled in society and the rich getting richer, I dread to think what an idiot like Crabb would do if he was in charge.

• Like 1

I personally think it's time for those at the heart of it to stop throwing their dummies out of the pram and get on with the job.

Due you honestly think that that kind of comment is in any way helpful to the aims to profess to want?

• Like 1

I personally think it's time for those at the heart of it to stop throwing their dummies out of the pram and get on with the job.

Due you honestly think that that kind of comment is in any way helpful to the aims to profess to want?

• Like 1

G4rth, it wasn't meant to be helpful, it was an observation of just how sick I'm becoming of all the white noise.

I take it that's a resounding no to Crabb then? Ok, scratch him of my list... Next?

Teresa May, A person who doesn't believe in the EU but towed the party line? Not for me.

I didn't listen to any of the nonsense peddled by any of them. I'm still not listening. A pro EU Boris Johnson wanting us to leave and two dyed in the wool Euro sceptics in Corbyn & Cameron wanting us to stay...?

I got my hands on a copy of the Lisbon Treaty and "Strategy for the Integration of the European State" then spent a month reading them, I'm one of the lucky ones under 50 who doesn't have to get up in the morning, the global market has been good to me. I then gave it to my sister, A Barrister in London for her interpretation. That's when I made my decision.

G4rth, it wasn't meant to be helpful, it was an observation of just how sick I'm becoming of all the white noise.

I take it that's a resounding no to Crabb then? Ok, scratch him of my list... Next?

Teresa May, A person who doesn't believe in the EU but towed the party line? Not for me.

I didn't listen to any of the nonsense peddled by any of them. I'm still not listening. A pro EU Boris Johnson wanting us to leave and two dyed in the wool Euro sceptics in Corbyn & Cameron wanting us to stay...?

I got my hands on a copy of the Lisbon Treaty and "Strategy for the Integration of the European State" then spent a month reading them, I'm one of the lucky ones under 50 who doesn't have to get up in the morning, the global market has been good to me. I then gave it to my sister, A Barrister in London for her interpretation. That's when I made my decision.

Too many voted to stay in for there to be an easy transition.

There was not enough voting for Brexit to justify leaving.Yes enough to win but enough for change of this nature.No.

Have another vote? Perhaps!

• Like 3

Too many voted to stay in for there to be an easy transition.

There was not enough voting for Brexit to justify leaving.Yes enough to win but enough for change of this nature.No.

Have another vote? Perhaps!

• Like 3

According to some media reports, Farage said there should be a second referendum if the polls were close. At that point, Brexit was running a couple of percentage points behind the leave campaign. I suspect we'll hear no more of this -- unless someone has this on tape which can then be played back at some suitable moment

• Like 1

According to some media reports, Farage said there should be a second referendum if the polls were close. At that point, Brexit was running a couple of percentage points behind the leave campaign. I suspect we'll hear no more of this -- unless someone has this on tape which can then be played back at some suitable moment

• Like 1