Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

The EU is full of free loaders ? Whet about the millions the UK spends on the House of Lords full of failed MPs ,Bishops,Government donaters all getting paid £300 a day for just being there not even having to do anything accountable to no one .

Quite agree. Most of the free loaders in the EU are also unacounatable. The principles are brilliant but things have changed so much over the years. Many in both establishments (and other governments) are the same..... the UK government and the EU are not so different to others.

In the end Cameron got it wrong and asked us to make a difficult decision about something that was really complex and where large numbers of us (including me) were really confused by all the exageration and dodgy promises. It has all backfired on him and to my mind the buck stops there.

Unfortunately the buck doesn't stop there, it stops with the peoples of Europe. No one can say with any certainty whether we are heading for disaster or a land of milk and honey. The one thing we can be certain of is for Dave disaster isn't an option just how much milk and how much honey.

In the end Cameron got it wrong and asked us to make a difficult decision about something that was really complex and where large numbers of us (including me) were really confused by all the exageration and dodgy promises. It has all backfired on him and to my mind the buck stops there.

Unfortunately the buck doesn't stop there, it stops with the peoples of Europe. No one can say with any certainty whether we are heading for disaster or a land of milk and honey. The one thing we can be certain of is for Dave disaster isn't an option just how much milk and how much honey.

Gove must never be trusted again, in his case it the tail being wagged by the dog - his wife. Sarah Vine has monumentally put her size 10s in it and been henpecking behind the scenes. He is a treacherous liar who does not deserve to stay in the Cabinet, let alone be PM. Hope he is cast out info the wilderness where he belongs and his stupid wife with him. I never liked the idea of Boris being PM, and I hope May wins, I think she is the best one out of that shower.

Edited by Khaines

Gove must never be trusted again, in his case it the tail being wagged by the dog - his wife. Sarah Vine has monumentally put her size 10s in it and been henpecking behind the scenes. He is a treacherous liar who does not deserve to stay in the Cabinet, let alone be PM. Hope he is cast out info the wilderness where he belongs and his stupid wife with him. I never liked the idea of Boris being PM, and I hope May wins, I think she is the best one out of that shower.

Edited by Khaines

Anyone checked the cost of EU institutions, staff etc compared to UK? UK government is MASSIVELY more expensive.

You can't let the issue be clouded by facts Colin.

Because of the systems we have in the UK only a minority are able to vote for the personalities or policies they want. The majority have no choice but to vote against personalities or policies they don't want. I suspect many haven't realized that doesn't work in a referendum. For most people in the British Iles voting is not a positive thing. Those that have had enough and rebeled are unfortunately those that will suffer the most. Interestingly the Cornish and the Welsh who received large amounts of European money yet voted leave by large majorities are now claiming that the rest of us should make up the cash that they've thrown away. It's a strange world.

• Like 2

Anyone checked the cost of EU institutions, staff etc compared to UK? UK government is MASSIVELY more expensive.

You can't let the issue be clouded by facts Colin.

Because of the systems we have in the UK only a minority are able to vote for the personalities or policies they want. The majority have no choice but to vote against personalities or policies they don't want. I suspect many haven't realized that doesn't work in a referendum. For most people in the British Iles voting is not a positive thing. Those that have had enough and rebeled are unfortunately those that will suffer the most. Interestingly the Cornish and the Welsh who received large amounts of European money yet voted leave by large majorities are now claiming that the rest of us should make up the cash that they've thrown away. It's a strange world.

• Like 2

Thanks for peoples honest views. For me it was not the right time for this to happen as weighing it up with self interest (thought I would pretend to be an MP for a day) my investments were the biggest factor right now. Reaching the point of needing to draw a little on them in a few years, the last thing needed was a slump. Hope it will sort itself reasonably quickly if the Government get in gear and start things moving. Have a great weekend. Off to a brewery visit :-)

Thanks for peoples honest views. For me it was not the right time for this to happen as weighing it up with self interest (thought I would pretend to be an MP for a day) my investments were the biggest factor right now. Reaching the point of needing to draw a little on them in a few years, the last thing needed was a slump. Hope it will sort itself reasonably quickly if the Government get in gear and start things moving. Have a great weekend. Off to a brewery visit :-)

Personally I suspect we were hoping to have it both ways I.e. to have what we believed to be the advantages of EU membership without any of the disadvantages. But no can do. If we walk away we walk away from the lot not just those things we don't like. As this is becoming increasingly apparent maybe this is why people are questioning whether it was appropriate to decide such a momentous issue on the basis of a simple majority and, in the event, a small majority. However the Conservative Party seems to like the first past the post system because it does seem to favour them. Remember the PM's opposition to AV. It was always within the horizons of foreseeability that our simplistic approach to these matters would get us into trouble at some point and it now seems to have done.

• Like 2

Personally I suspect we were hoping to have it both ways I.e. to have what we believed to be the advantages of EU membership without any of the disadvantages. But no can do. If we walk away we walk away from the lot not just those things we don't like. As this is becoming increasingly apparent maybe this is why people are questioning whether it was appropriate to decide such a momentous issue on the basis of a simple majority and, in the event, a small majority. However the Conservative Party seems to like the first past the post system because it does seem to favour them. Remember the PM's opposition to AV. It was always within the horizons of foreseeability that our simplistic approach to these matters would get us into trouble at some point and it now seems to have done.

• Like 2

Who is going to take over the leadership of the country?Who can be trusted after what has happened?

Almost half of the vote must feel completely unrepresented.

This is not a good situation to be in and I think if those who are in charge forget those who voted Remain they may find they represent a country that is divided permanently.

What is the solution?

Have another referendum.

• Like 3

Who is going to take over the leadership of the country?Who can be trusted after what has happened?

Almost half of the vote must feel completely unrepresented.

This is not a good situation to be in and I think if those who are in charge forget those who voted Remain they may find they represent a country that is divided permanently.

What is the solution?

Have another referendum.

• Like 3

No second referendum. However, I am not yet convinced that we will BREXIT....

A defining choice cannot be decided on such a small margin of voters.

About 34m voted but about 8 m didn't.

With about 1.5 million between them that represents a difference of 3.5 percent for Brexit.Incorporate those who didn't vote for whatever reason and your result is not representive of the total electorate.

This is not enough of a margin for such change.Another referendum should be had with a margin of 55/45 required for change.

• Like 3

No second referendum. However, I am not yet convinced that we will BREXIT....

With about 1.5 million between them that represents a difference of 3.5 percent for Brexit.Incorporate those who didn't vote for whatever reason and your result is not representive of the total electorate.

This is not enough of a margin for such change.Another referendum should be had with a margin of 55/45 required for change.

• Like 3

You're perfectly correct imprimerie. The problem is the great British voter appears not to understand or care about the meaning of the phrase an election representative of the electorate.

One has only to look at the results of last years general election. In most countries people would be demanding change but not here.

A table displaying the number of votes won by each party, divided by the total number of seats they received (Votes per Seat) in 2015 general election

[TABLE=border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0]

[TR=class: mod2notZero]

[/TR]

[TR=class: mod2zero]

[TD]Conservatives[/TD]

[TD]34,244[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Labour[/TD]

[TD]40,290[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]SNP[/TD]

[TD]25,972[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Lib Dem[/TD]

[TD]301,986[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]DUP[/TD]

[TD]23,032[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Sinn Ffein[/TD]

[TD]44,058[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Plaid Cymru[/TD]

[TD]60,564[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]SDLP[/TD]

[TD]33,269[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]UUP[/TD]

[TD]57,467[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Ukip[/TD]

[TD]3,881,129[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Green[/TD]

[TD]1,157,613[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by G4rth

You're perfectly correct imprimerie. The problem is the great British voter appears not to understand or care about the meaning of the phrase an election representative of the electorate.

One has only to look at the results of last years general election. In most countries people would be demanding change but not here.

A table displaying the number of votes won by each party, divided by the total number of seats they received (Votes per Seat) in 2015 general election

[TABLE=border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0]

[/TR]

[TD]Conservatives[/TD]

[TD]34,244[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Labour[/TD]

[TD]40,290[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]SNP[/TD]

[TD]25,972[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Lib Dem[/TD]

[TD]301,986[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]DUP[/TD]

[TD]23,032[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Sinn Ffein[/TD]

[TD]44,058[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Plaid Cymru[/TD]

[TD]60,564[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]SDLP[/TD]

[TD]33,269[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]UUP[/TD]

[TD]57,467[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Ukip[/TD]

[TD]3,881,129[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Green[/TD]

[TD]1,157,613[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by G4rth

and if the result had been the other way?

and if the result had been the other way?