Sign in to follow this  
boallen

AIS apps

Marine Traffic has a paid for service in which there are more bells and whistles on the app if you want it, but for basic ship spotting and IDing then the basic app is all that is necessary. Cannot remember if I paid for mine, it came from Apple's App Store.

What is the best free app/apps for ship location ... looked at marine traffic but it wanted £3.99.

That's about 50p more than a McDonald's breakfast.....

In answering boallen's original question it might help to distinguish between mobile and desktop operating systems. On iPad £3.99 for Marine Traffic might be well worth it as I find the (free) website seriously slow and cumbersome. On Mac i.e. desktop I find that the website works well and is free (thankfully, as the cheapest subscription is $12.50 per month!)

It looks like pricing is the same for Android / Windows environments and I imagine the user experience is at least intended to be similar.

Are we still discussing the best AIS App or the actual price if it's the latter it's ridiculous it's ONLY £3.99, I have both a free AIS and paid for Marind Traffic not once did I think of the cost which is cheap!

Are we still discussing the best AIS App or the actual price if it's the latter it's ridiculous it's ONLY £3.99, I have both a free AIS and paid for Marind Traffic not once did I think of the cost which is cheap!

It's "Marine traffic" ridiculous can you not be bothered to spell anything properly? 😉

Paid the £3.99 for Marine traffic on my mobile and use the trial app on pc. used it for around 4 months now and it does the job. Very useful while I was in Plamanova Majorca in June as our hotel overlooked the bay and I could track every vessel in and out.