Sign in to follow this  
Andy

2017 Schedules Now Available

No Plymouth to St Malo route this winter?

Good news however for the Plymouth to Santander route continuing into December!

Interesting that Spanish sailings will be cut back when ships go to refit (for example, BDS). Also interesting Pont-Aven will only be covering Portsmouth to St Malo during January/February time - and not Spain.

Interesting that Spanish sailings will be cut back when ships go to refit (for example, BDS). Also interesting Pont-Aven will only be covering Portsmouth to St Malo during January/February time - and not Spain.

There is a couple of positioning moves Plymouth st malo but nothing regular as keeping arm full time nearly at Plymouth

There is a couple of positioning moves Plymouth st malo but nothing regular as keeping arm full time nearly at Plymouth

Interesting Armorique is coming to Poole for a second time. Let's hope she does. Her last visit was chopped and changed around somewhat. BF always used to send a substitute ship when Barfleur was out for some reason, e.g. Duc de Normandie, Bretagne as well as Armorique. However more recently they haven't bothered so one wonders what has prompted this return to previous policy.

The fact that Barfleur needs attention to her engines rather tends to confirm my suspicion that there's something not quite right with them. Thus Herbert Ballam needed and not being able to get off the berth etc.

Interesting Armorique is coming to Poole for a second time. Let's hope she does. Her last visit was chopped and changed around somewhat. BF always used to send a substitute ship when Barfleur was out for some reason, e.g. Duc de Normandie, Bretagne as well as Armorique. However more recently they haven't bothered so one wonders what has prompted this return to previous policy.

The fact that Barfleur needs attention to her engines rather tends to confirm my suspicion that there's something not quite right with them. Thus Herbert Ballam needed and not being able to get off the berth etc.

It seems very early for the Plymouth-Roscoff service to end in January and for Armorique to move over to Caen-Portsmouth. I would have thought they would have kept her going for a few extra days after the new year to allow people to get back from their holiday homes etc. I don't know the dates of the school holidays in the UK for next year but I assume they had no choice but to send Normandie off to her refit as soon as they could so all the vessels are back in position for the half-term holidays. Ed

It seems very early for the Plymouth-Roscoff service to end in January and for Armorique to move over to Caen-Portsmouth. I would have thought they would have kept her going for a few extra days after the new year to allow people to get back from their holiday homes etc. I don't know the dates of the school holidays in the UK for next year but I assume they had no choice but to send Normandie off to her refit as soon as they could so all the vessels are back in position for the half-term holidays. Ed

Hawser, Pelican needed the attentions of the Herbert recently - hers must be clapped out too then. Does every ship needing a tug have dodgy engines? And you are wrong on another point, HT, Barf was covered by NEX when she had her scrubbers fitted.

Edited by Khaines

Hawser, Pelican needed the attentions of the Herbert recently - hers must be clapped out too then. Does every ship needing a tug have dodgy engines? And you are wrong on another point, HT, Barf was covered by NEX when she had her scrubbers fitted.

Edited by Khaines

Had a good look at the schedules and has to be said, comparatively devoid of discussion points compared to normal. One observation, presumably as a result of still having most of the fleet around for most of the time through the winter, and therefore not having to try to maintain Plymouth-Roscoff and Portsmouth-St Malo with the same ship, is that Plymouth-St Malo is just about non-existent this year. Just 2 sailings each way, one for Pont Aven and one for Armorique.

Had a good look at the schedules and has to be said, comparatively devoid of discussion points compared to normal. One observation, presumably as a result of still having most of the fleet around for most of the time through the winter, and therefore not having to try to maintain Plymouth-Roscoff and Portsmouth-St Malo with the same ship, is that Plymouth-St Malo is just about non-existent this year. Just 2 sailings each way, one for Pont Aven and one for Armorique.

Another point I forgot to mention is that there is one-off daytime Portsmouth to St Malo sailing close to Christmas. I believe that is the first time in a few years!

Another point I forgot to mention is that there is one-off daytime Portsmouth to St Malo sailing close to Christmas. I believe that is the first time in a few years!

I don't think Barfleur and MN Pelican are the same type of ship. The former is a supposedly highly manouevrable ro-ro vehicle ferry while the latter is a single screw deepsea freighter in the ro-ro mode and likely to be less manoeuvrable. Thus I am not so surprised she would need tug assistance on occasion but as a long time supporter of the Port of Poole recent reports of Barfleur needing tug assistance are rather concerning. Then there was the Sandbanks ferry incident. Nothing of this sort seemed to happen until fairly recently. So one wonders what, if anything, has changed. Could it be the presence of Condor Lib on Ro-Ro 2 is having some effect. One wonders if they are planning to increase the lateral separation between Ro-Ro 2 and 3 as part of the lengthening of the quay at 2 due to start in the autumn after the end of the summer season. After all both berths were designed for smaller ships than have been using them but I understand there are no current plans to do anything to the linkspan at 2.

Thanks for the reminder re NEx. I went on all the others from Poole but not the HSC.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I don't think Barfleur and MN Pelican are the same type of ship. The former is a supposedly highly manouevrable ro-ro vehicle ferry while the latter is a single screw deepsea freighter in the ro-ro mode and likely to be less manoeuvrable. Thus I am not so surprised she would need tug assistance on occasion but as a long time supporter of the Port of Poole recent reports of Barfleur needing tug assistance are rather concerning. Then there was the Sandbanks ferry incident. Nothing of this sort seemed to happen until fairly recently. So one wonders what, if anything, has changed. Could it be the presence of Condor Lib on Ro-Ro 2 is having some effect. One wonders if they are planning to increase the lateral separation between Ro-Ro 2 and 3 as part of the lengthening of the quay at 2 due to start in the autumn after the end of the summer season. After all both berths were designed for smaller ships than have been using them but I understand there are no current plans to do anything to the linkspan at 2.

Thanks for the reminder re NEx. I went on all the others from Poole but not the HSC.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

Hawser, I believe Barfleur's berth was designed specifically for her. As said very recently she has to be very careful she doesn't prang Lib. Be interesting to see how Arm copes in November when there is likely to be iffy weather. I thought Lib's berth was going to be lengthened anyway, in my opinion she needs a bollard closer to the end of her bow. Since she arrived in Poole, Lib hasn't had anything larger than Barfleur behind her, so be interesting to see Arm there in strong winds. Arm is just a beefed up Cotentin sizewise.

Edited by Khaines

Hawser, I believe Barfleur's berth was designed specifically for her. As said very recently she has to be very careful she doesn't prang Lib. Be interesting to see how Arm copes in November when there is likely to be iffy weather. I thought Lib's berth was going to be lengthened anyway, in my opinion she needs a bollard closer to the end of her bow. Since she arrived in Poole, Lib hasn't had anything larger than Barfleur behind her, so be interesting to see Arm there in strong winds. Arm is just a beefed up Cotentin sizewise.

Edited by Khaines

Has Arm ever been to Poole?

Hawser, I believe Barfleur's berth was designed specifically for her.

It wasn't, it was an existing single deck linkspan that was modified with the addition of the upper deck. It was further modified for Cotentin with a piece to make the lower deck wider.

Yes in early 2010.

Hawser, I believe Barfleur's berth was designed specifically for her.

It wasn't, it was an existing single deck linkspan that was modified with the addition of the upper deck. It was further modified for Cotentin with a piece to make the lower deck wider.

Yes in early 2010.

I believe Cotentin and Armorique are half sisters in that they share the same hull design both in shape and dimensions. Obviously Armorique has a bigger superstructure which doubtless accounts for her greater GRT, just short of 30,000grt making her Poole Harbour's biggest ever ship thus far in respect of this dimension. However the three Visentinis were longer and tend to be regarded as Poole's biggest.

I would venture to suggest that the upper element of RoRo 3's linkspan was designed for Barfleur perhaps leading to the belief that the whole berth was. Way back in 1992 when the 157m long Barfleur first arrived I was surprised she fitted the berth. What then of the three Visentinis at 187m long which have since been in?

I believe Cotentin and Armorique are half sisters in that they share the same hull design both in shape and dimensions. Obviously Armorique has a bigger superstructure which doubtless accounts for her greater GRT, just short of 30,000grt making her Poole Harbour's biggest ever ship thus far in respect of this dimension. However the three Visentinis were longer and tend to be regarded as Poole's biggest.

I would venture to suggest that the upper element of RoRo 3's linkspan was designed for Barfleur perhaps leading to the belief that the whole berth was. Way back in 1992 when the 157m long Barfleur first arrived I was surprised she fitted the berth. What then of the three Visentinis at 187m long which have since been in?