Sign in to follow this  
Andy

2017 Schedules Now Available

Re "Plymouth-St Malo is just about non-existent this year. Just 2 sailings each way, one for Pont Aven and one for Armorique."

I can't see these sailings on the timetable -- when are these sailings, please?

Re "Plymouth-St Malo is just about non-existent this year. Just 2 sailings each way, one for Pont Aven and one for Armorique."

I can't see these sailings on the timetable -- when are these sailings, please?

Booked up Armorique this morning - wasn't able to get the daytrip offer unfortunately due to the date being quite far ahead, but no worries, booked her up anyway, be another member of the fleet ticked off for me!

• Like 1

Booked up Armorique this morning - wasn't able to get the daytrip offer unfortunately due to the date being quite far ahead, but no worries, booked her up anyway, be another member of the fleet ticked off for me!

• Like 1

With the £ at 2009/10 levels against the Euro and heading in the wrong direction for British travellers is there any probability that the current timetables for 2017 will be remain unrevised? We all know what happened to Barfleur during the last bout of currency turmoil.

With the £ at 2009/10 levels against the Euro and heading in the wrong direction for British travellers is there any probability that the current timetables for 2017 will be remain unrevised? We all know what happened to Barfleur during the last bout of currency turmoil.

Looking to book next year's ferry crossing Ports - St Malo, sadly we are tied to school holidays so prices are a bit che-ching. In fact next year's prices are more than we have paid the last 2 years (also school hols). My question to you wise Brittany Ferries travellers, is - do prices fluctuate? I mean are they likely to come down at all or will they only go upwards? Trying to work out whether to book now and have the pick of sailings or wait and see if prices will come down. Thanks in advance.

Looking to book next year's ferry crossing Ports - St Malo, sadly we are tied to school holidays so prices are a bit che-ching. In fact next year's prices are more than we have paid the last 2 years (also school hols). My question to you wise Brittany Ferries travellers, is - do prices fluctuate? I mean are they likely to come down at all or will they only go upwards? Trying to work out whether to book now and have the pick of sailings or wait and see if prices will come down. Thanks in advance.

I am told that Bf negotiate their £/euro exchange rates for a 6 month period ahead. So with the fall in the £ against the euro I can only see the prices going up by next year..

I made a booking for 1st September this year back in June and paid the deposit. I have just checked what it would cost had I booked today and it has gone up by 6% so they also change over even shorter periods..

I am told that Bf negotiate their £/euro exchange rates for a 6 month period ahead. So with the fall in the £ against the euro I can only see the prices going up by next year..

I made a booking for 1st September this year back in June and paid the deposit. I have just checked what it would cost had I booked today and it has gone up by 6% so they also change over even shorter periods..

Let's hope she does actually come to Poole and maintain the Cherbourg service. The last time she did she wasn't on the service for as long as was originally announced going off at intervals being required elsewhere apparently.

Let's hope she does actually come to Poole and maintain the Cherbourg service. The last time she did she wasn't on the service for as long as was originally announced going off at intervals being required elsewhere apparently.

Barfleur is packed full at the moment several people are saying it is very difficult/impossible to get a booking, so she is doing very well by the looks of it. She is having something of a boom by the looks of it, so I doubt whether she will be back up the river any time soon. I want to go over to Cherbourg for a drive to Azeville, so maybe it may be possible to book the 9.00 NEX and possibly an overnight Barf back if her overnights are quieter. Barf looks like her old busy self again, she is enjoying a bit of a renaissance, so that is good. I may leave her till September or so, til after the school hols.

Barfleur is packed full at the moment several people are saying it is very difficult/impossible to get a booking, so she is doing very well by the looks of it. She is having something of a boom by the looks of it, so I doubt whether she will be back up the river any time soon. I want to go over to Cherbourg for a drive to Azeville, so maybe it may be possible to book the 9.00 NEX and possibly an overnight Barf back if her overnights are quieter. Barf looks like her old busy self again, she is enjoying a bit of a renaissance, so that is good. I may leave her till September or so, til after the school hols.

I am surprised we are getting her anyway, it will be November and quiet I expect, just before the Christmas crowds start so I would not have been surprised if we weren't covered for a week. Getting Arm is welcome, I am well pleased to be able to try her out

I am surprised we are getting her anyway, it will be November and quiet I expect, just before the Christmas crowds start so I would not have been surprised if we weren't covered for a week. Getting Arm is welcome, I am well pleased to be able to try her out

Guest Guest

I wrote in another thread that I was looking to book Bilbao-Portsmouth return for November-December. Even taking an Economie service one way, and including a cheapie outside cabin, the price came to £488 (plus meals).

So I looked for flights. Toulouse-Birmingham return, inc baggage, £292. No contest, especially when I add on diesel and tolls for the car.

No, it's not at all the same experience, and I love my ferry journeys, and hate airport hassle.

OK, when I go over for a proper family visit for three weeks, it will make sense to take the car, but this is simply to join family for flights from Heathrow. (Yes, flights are available to London, but the family members concerned live in Worcestershire, and we're travelling to Heathrow together as part of the flight deal).

Guest Guest

I wrote in another thread that I was looking to book Bilbao-Portsmouth return for November-December. Even taking an Economie service one way, and including a cheapie outside cabin, the price came to £488 (plus meals).

So I looked for flights. Toulouse-Birmingham return, inc baggage, £292. No contest, especially when I add on diesel and tolls for the car.

No, it's not at all the same experience, and I love my ferry journeys, and hate airport hassle.

OK, when I go over for a proper family visit for three weeks, it will make sense to take the car, but this is simply to join family for flights from Heathrow. (Yes, flights are available to London, but the family members concerned live in Worcestershire, and we're travelling to Heathrow together as part of the flight deal).

This year's sailings Ply-Rosc are an order better than last year when we ere down to 2 PA sailings a week through October, 2 Bretagne sailings a week both on a Friday in November and nothing in December until the 18th. This year we have daily sailings in October and November except for the last 10 days and 4 sailings a week for most of December.

This year we had no sailings at all from the 3rd Jan until 15th March. Next year sailings start again on 6th Feb. A major improvement more in line with a few years ago.

• Like 2

This year's sailings Ply-Rosc are an order better than last year when we ere down to 2 PA sailings a week through October, 2 Bretagne sailings a week both on a Friday in November and nothing in December until the 18th. This year we have daily sailings in October and November except for the last 10 days and 4 sailings a week for most of December.

This year we had no sailings at all from the 3rd Jan until 15th March. Next year sailings start again on 6th Feb. A major improvement more in line with a few years ago.

• Like 2

I can't help feeling that these developments e.

g. the trailer service by MN Pelican to Bilbao, Armorique standing in for Barfleur in November of this year when BF could easily have left the service uncovered, plus other improvements elsewhere suggest the presence of potential competition out there. I've no idea who it could be, Grimaldi possibly but not DFDS or Stena with whom BF seem to have a close relationship. Indeed a post in these forums speculated that a reason for the institution of the Bilbao service could be the concern there was another shipping company out there thinking of doing the same and so BF better get in there quick!

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I can't help feeling that these developments e.

g. the trailer service by MN Pelican to Bilbao, Armorique standing in for Barfleur in November of this year when BF could easily have left the service uncovered, plus other improvements elsewhere suggest the presence of potential competition out there. I've no idea who it could be, Grimaldi possibly but not DFDS or Stena with whom BF seem to have a close relationship. Indeed a post in these forums speculated that a reason for the institution of the Bilbao service could be the concern there was another shipping company out there thinking of doing the same and so BF better get in there quick!

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I doubt the prices will come down between now and say October if you decide to wait. The only thing that will change is you will have less choice of accommodation and might even find your preferred crossing to St Malo has no cabins left and you will need to sleep in reclining chairs. Book now and the price you see is the price you will pay. If it goes up you are the winner. If it goes down you will learn for next time but not feel too aggrieved as you were prepared to pay the price anyhow. You are in the comfortable situation of being able to book 12 months in advance and get the best choice/price. The problem we have is that we often want to travel back to the UK from France at Christmas time and we only get 5 months notice on the schedules so it's very difficult to find a good price. Last year for example the cheapest BF price for a car with 2 adults and 2 kids on the shortest crossing from Cherbourg to Poole was around 400 euros on daytime crossings. In the end I booked with DFDS from Dieppe to Newhaven (same driving time in the UK as the final destination was Petersfield in Hampshire and around the same distance in France with maybe 30 euros of tolls to pay each way) and the crossing came to 128 euros return. So all in a 50% saving and slightly better sailing times. The general standard of the ferry was marginally lower than on Barfleur but you get what you pay for and I knew I was paying for very little. Ed