News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2017 Schedules Now Available

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mont and Normandie are doing one offs to Cherbourg in November this year, why is that?

They always do that a couple of times a year, something to do with maintenance on the linkspan at Ouistreham I think.

Mont and Normandie are doing one offs to Cherbourg in November this year, why is that?

They always do that a couple of times a year, something to do with maintenance on the linkspan at Ouistreham I think.

Also usually immediately prior to/after refits (Normandie refits in Jan 2017) to allow for de-storing etc.

Also usually immediately prior to/after refits (Normandie refits in Jan 2017) to allow for de-storing etc.
I got an email notice 2 days before balance was taken fom my card mind you that was a combined ferry and gite booking so I don't know if that's different.

Durham Lad, I don't recall getting reminders before the second and final payment is due but will see if I can check back. But then I never book packages, only crossings.

Andy, thanks for that. It must be £35 in the UK and therefore 27 € in France, which just by chance corresponds to 30%.

Droopsnout, thanks for your reply. The reason I would prefer alternative payment options is that I sometimes book on the French site and sometimes on the UK site and sometimes pay in euros and sometimes in pounds. And just to make it even more complicated I might use a French card on the UK site and vice versa depending if it is coming out of a business account or if the tickets are for family trips. All very complicated and that's why I would prefer to pay 100% upfront so I can put it through the books in one transaction. The reason I suggested monthly instalments is for those packages which people choose for family holidays booked 12 months in advance, perhaps costing a couple of thousand pounds, and for which people would prefer to spread the payments. Ed

I got an email notice 2 days before balance was taken fom my card mind you that was a combined ferry and gite booking so I don't know if that's different.

Durham Lad, I don't recall getting reminders before the second and final payment is due but will see if I can check back. But then I never book packages, only crossings.

Andy, thanks for that. It must be £35 in the UK and therefore 27 € in France, which just by chance corresponds to 30%.

Droopsnout, thanks for your reply. The reason I would prefer alternative payment options is that I sometimes book on the French site and sometimes on the UK site and sometimes pay in euros and sometimes in pounds. And just to make it even more complicated I might use a French card on the UK site and vice versa depending if it is coming out of a business account or if the tickets are for family trips. All very complicated and that's why I would prefer to pay 100% upfront so I can put it through the books in one transaction. The reason I suggested monthly instalments is for those packages which people choose for family holidays booked 12 months in advance, perhaps costing a couple of thousand pounds, and for which people would prefer to spread the payments. Ed

Thanks, Andy, for the direct link to the Portsmouth/St Malo timetable but it still doesn't work, for me at least. C'est la vie!

Of other interest, I've noted the freight timetables have also been up-dated to autumn 2017 -- but not that for Poole to Bilbao which still ends in November this year. I'm aware (from BFenthusiasts) the charter was for one year. But is it the case the charter is ending or is it that a decision is yet to be made?

Thanks, Andy, for the direct link to the Portsmouth/St Malo timetable but it still doesn't work, for me at least. C'est la vie!

Of other interest, I've noted the freight timetables have also been up-dated to autumn 2017 -- but not that for Poole to Bilbao which still ends in November this year. I'm aware (from BFenthusiasts) the charter was for one year. But is it the case the charter is ending or is it that a decision is yet to be made?

Could it have something to do with the work on RoRo 2 due to start in the autumn -- I believe the materials for it have already begun to arrive? It would be another disappointment for Poole should the service close but then if BF started it to head off another operator could that other operator not reappear?

Could it have something to do with the work on RoRo 2 due to start in the autumn -- I believe the materials for it have already begun to arrive? It would be another disappointment for Poole should the service close but then if BF started it to head off another operator could that other operator not reappear?

​I think its an issue at your end. The link works fine.

For your benefit

2/12 Plym-St M 2200-0730

3/12 St M-Plym 1230-2010

6/2 St M - Plym 1230-2010

8/2 Plym-St M 2045-0815

​I think its an issue at your end. The link works fine.

For your benefit

2/12 Plym-St M 2200-0730

3/12 St M-Plym 1230-2010

6/2 St M - Plym 1230-2010

8/2 Plym-St M 2045-0815

I don't recall getting reminders before the second and final payment is due but will see if I can check back. But then I never book packages, only crossings.

. Ed

My invoice said the final payment would be collected on the 17th July and today I got and email saying - "We'll shortly be taking payment of the final balance" and re-quoting the amount. So it won't come as a surprise. I guess it could possibly send some into overdraft if they had used a debit card.

I don't recall getting reminders before the second and final payment is due but will see if I can check back. But then I never book packages, only crossings.

. Ed

My invoice said the final payment would be collected on the 17th July and today I got and email saying - "We'll shortly be taking payment of the final balance" and re-quoting the amount. So it won't come as a surprise. I guess it could possibly send some into overdraft if they had used a debit card.

I see the Poole-Cherbourg freight timetable is completely unavailable. However it is normally the same as the carpax timetable and this does go on to November 2017.

I see the Poole-Cherbourg freight timetable is completely unavailable. However it is normally the same as the carpax timetable and this does go on to November 2017.

Yes that's certainly the case in France where most people use debit cards rather than credit cards as far as I know. My next crossing is the 9 Sept so I will keep a lookout for the email at the end of July. Ed.

Isn't it an offence in France to bounce a cheque or I guess a debit card ?

Yes that's certainly the case in France where most people use debit cards rather than credit cards as far as I know. My next crossing is the 9 Sept so I will keep a lookout for the email at the end of July. Ed.

Isn't it an offence in France to bounce a cheque or I guess a debit card ?

I was warned about just such a situation when I first moved over here 17 years ago. As such i have always been very careful, plus have negotiated a reasonable overdraft limit just in case an ingoing cheque takes longer to clear than expected. My wife did in face bounce a cheque recently (or 3 in fact) on her account for the kids swimming lessons which were all written and post-dated back in September and then cashed at various intervals. The bank simply allowed the transaction to go through and sent her a letter and text message asking her to make sure sufficient funds arrived on the account within 72 hours or else! (but did not specify the ultimate consequences). So I think the banks are less strict than in the past but maybe someone can enlighten us to their experiences. Ed

I was warned about just such a situation when I first moved over here 17 years ago. As such i have always been very careful, plus have negotiated a reasonable overdraft limit just in case an ingoing cheque takes longer to clear than expected. My wife did in face bounce a cheque recently (or 3 in fact) on her account for the kids swimming lessons which were all written and post-dated back in September and then cashed at various intervals. The bank simply allowed the transaction to go through and sent her a letter and text message asking her to make sure sufficient funds arrived on the account within 72 hours or else! (but did not specify the ultimate consequences). So I think the banks are less strict than in the past but maybe someone can enlighten us to their experiences. Ed