Sign in to follow this  
hf_uk

New BF booking engine design

I am not sure if this has already been talked about, but BF seem to have given their online booking engine a fresh lick of paint and made it much more mobile-friendly. Looks good to me and saves a ton of scrolling left and right all the time on my phone:)

I am not sure if this has already been talked about, but BF seem to have given their online booking engine a fresh lick of paint and made it much more mobile-friendly. Looks good to me and saves a ton of scrolling left and right all the time on my phone:)

I have to be honest I like it. I find it easy to use. The only thing I don't like is the colours used on the page where you choose your cabin. I think they look very old fashioned. Other than that I think it is an improvement.

I have to be honest I like it. I find it easy to use. The only thing I don't like is the colours used on the page where you choose your cabin. I think they look very old fashioned. Other than that I think it is an improvement.

It's alright, and I will get used to it. Had problems this morning in that each time that I completed the Members page, the continue button failed to register. Could be them, could be my Mac but it is unusual for that to happen to me. Shutting down and re booting made no difference but I finally got to continue on about the fifth try.

It's alright, and I will get used to it. Had problems this morning in that each time that I completed the Members page, the continue button failed to register. Could be them, could be my Mac but it is unusual for that to happen to me. Shutting down and re booting made no difference but I finally got to continue on about the fifth try.

I found it easier to use but had a problem with payment. I had a message saying error please try again which I did with success, but then found I ended up with 2 bookings. Contacted BF who said it was a problem at their end and they cancelled one booking and refunded my deposit.

I found it easier to use but had a problem with payment. I had a message saying error please try again which I did with success, but then found I ended up with 2 bookings. Contacted BF who said it was a problem at their end and they cancelled one booking and refunded my deposit.

I tried making a booking this evening and took an instant dislike to the new format as it does not now offer Portsmouth-Caen sailings as an option when looking up Portsmouth-Le Havre sailings and vice versa. This was really useful for me as if my chosen crossing to Caen was either full or very expensive the details of crossings on the alternative route were instantly visible. This no longer happens on the new site. Now I have to look up both routes separately before deciding which to take. Could do better.

I tried making a booking this evening and took an instant dislike to the new format as it does not now offer Portsmouth-Caen sailings as an option when looking up Portsmouth-Le Havre sailings and vice versa. This was really useful for me as if my chosen crossing to Caen was either full or very expensive the details of crossings on the alternative route were instantly visible. This no longer happens on the new site. Now I have to look up both routes separately before deciding which to take. Could do better.

When you use the booking engine and it lists the date and price of the crossings on portsmouth/caen there is a alternative route option which is portsmouth/le havre and if you click on the arrow on right side it drops a box showing the le havre crossing and prices for the same days

When you use the booking engine and it lists the date and price of the crossings on portsmouth/caen there is a alternative route option which is portsmouth/le havre and if you click on the arrow on right side it drops a box showing the le havre crossing and prices for the same days

Thank you Brian. I had completely missed that option.

Web designers must despair of people like me. As the old school IT people used to say: a PICNIC problem (problem in chair not in computer).

• Like 1

Thank you Brian. I had completely missed that option.

Web designers must despair of people like me. As the old school IT people used to say: a PICNIC problem (problem in chair not in computer).

• Like 1

It's ghastly, very much following the current trend of chunky style click here boxes type pages designed to be mobile phone friendly. I have to shrink my screen size my 50% to make it usable. Why not have a slick compact version with drown down menus you could use without scrolling for proper computers? Something that looked a bit like the previous version perhaps.

It's ghastly, very much following the current trend of chunky style click here boxes type pages designed to be mobile phone friendly. I have to shrink my screen size my 50% to make it usable. Why not have a slick compact version with drown down menus you could use without scrolling for proper computers? Something that looked a bit like the previous version perhaps.

The new booking engine may be more mobile friendly, but I still think it is under-engineered to make it really use friendly. I particularly dislike the limited use of session cookies, so if you want to go back a couple of stages you often have to enter all your basic requirements again. It is a nuisance checking all available routes separately. I cannot understand that having too much information can be confusing, but at least at the bottom of the options available for "Route A" there should be an option to explore all of Routes B, C D ... At present there is only an option for route B, so if you want to explore c you have to go back to the beginning and start again. Then there are annoying little things like the callender why have two clicks, one for the month and one for the day, when many websites use callenders, which incidentaly give you the days of the week (this is missing from the BF site, so if you want to travel "next Wednesday" you have to work out the date). And the list of dates does not update to context, eg enter July 31 for your outward date, the default return date is also July, but not updated to anything after July 31. This is probably a casualty of being "mobile friendly"

I really admire the EXpedia travel website - it is selling something much more complex than BF is offering, but it is so much easier to use. BF please take note for the next revision

• Like 2

The new booking engine may be more mobile friendly, but I still think it is under-engineered to make it really use friendly. I particularly dislike the limited use of session cookies, so if you want to go back a couple of stages you often have to enter all your basic requirements again. It is a nuisance checking all available routes separately. I cannot understand that having too much information can be confusing, but at least at the bottom of the options available for "Route A" there should be an option to explore all of Routes B, C D ... At present there is only an option for route B, so if you want to explore c you have to go back to the beginning and start again. Then there are annoying little things like the callender why have two clicks, one for the month and one for the day, when many websites use callenders, which incidentaly give you the days of the week (this is missing from the BF site, so if you want to travel "next Wednesday" you have to work out the date). And the list of dates does not update to context, eg enter July 31 for your outward date, the default return date is also July, but not updated to anything after July 31. This is probably a casualty of being "mobile friendly"

I really admire the EXpedia travel website - it is selling something much more complex than BF is offering, but it is so much easier to use. BF please take note for the next revision

• Like 2

I have been saying this for some time, but you have expressed it better than me! Not only the Expedia site, but most travel and airline sites. The BF site has always been "clunky" (I think that is a technical term...). Surely after all these years they can design something easier? I am speaking, of course, as a mere user: as far as the technical details are concerned, what do I know?

I have been saying this for some time, but you have expressed it better than me! Not only the Expedia site, but most travel and airline sites. The BF site has always been "clunky" (I think that is a technical term...). Surely after all these years they can design something easier? I am speaking, of course, as a mere user: as far as the technical details are concerned, what do I know?

I agree 110%.

It is so frustrating when you get to the "PRICE" page and you want to say change the type of cabin, that you then have to start al over again. Other travel booking sites have had a "back" option for many years. BF are very much way behind the times in this area. As others have said also the new site is far too clunky having to scroll down from "Out" to "Return" journeys. I do not wish to change my browser settings just to make BF more readable.

Edited by colinschandler
typo