Sign in to follow this  
ferrybuffinplym

New ships?

Well, given the number of UK firms seeking office space (etc.) in Eire at the moment, so that they can carry on trading in the EU without tariffs, "passports", etc., BF might want to think about a UK-Eire service.

I don't think there will be a need for extra capacity Brexit is already having an effect on the Irish economy even before it happens. The currency fall is making it impossible for some of our exporters to absorb or increase prices and business is being cancelled.

What will be required is more direct routes from Ireland to the continent as goods that are currently shipped through the uk from the continent will in future be brought direct.

It makes IF decision to buy a new ferry a very timely one..

Guest Guest

I don't think there will be a need for extra capacity Brexit is already having an effect on the Irish economy even before it happens. The currency fall is making it impossible for some of our exporters to absorb or increase prices and business is being cancelled.

What will be required is more direct routes from Ireland to the continent as goods that are currently shipped through the uk from the continent will in future be brought direct.

It makes IF decision to buy a new ferry a very timely one..

Yes, agreed. My original post was a bit tongue in cheek, but I was hinting towards a greater number of office workers who might be travelling between UK and Ireland in order to keep their jobs. But then, as a lot of them are apparently going to be lawyers, I guess they'd fly anyway.

Having got a fairly large car and not being so agile as I would wish, the cramped car lanes on Bretagne are indeed offputting.

I agree that Bretagne has steep stairs but my only experience of the car deck on Pont Aven was much worse than my journeys on Bretagne - 3 rows of us all cramped together having to exit via the passenger seats. Ridiculous. So i'm not sure she's the best example to follow. MSM would be a much better example of a garage to copy.

In other news, is the Pelican still going? Must be the least reported vessel if so.

Pelican maybe "still plodding on relentlessly", but there's still no timetable on the freight site for after mid-November. Presumably BF is plodding on with reviewing the service's viability currently?

Pelican maybe "still plodding on relentlessly", but there's still no timetable on the freight site for after mid-November. Presumably BF is plodding on with reviewing the service's viability currently?

That may be true. Alternatively perhaps BF don't don't feel they have quite the same urgency on long term timetables for an almost exclusively unaccompanied freight service. If it was common practice for the public to book their holidays around the arrival of an unaccompanied cointainer of toilet rolls then perhaps the timetable may have a much higher priority.

Agreed, G4rth. But presumably in reviewing Pelican's operations, BF would wish to consider more than just the almost exclusively unaccompanied freight service option? I had thought I'd read Pelican was chartered for one year, at least in the first instance, or am I incorrect?

I wish they would replace the Armorique its not the same as the Quiberon or the Pont Aven, it has absolutely no character and its about time we had a different one on the Roscoff trip.

I wish they would replace the Armorique its not the same as the Quiberon or the Pont Aven, it has absolutely no character and its about time we had a different one on the Roscoff trip.

Somehow I don't think that's going to be at the top of the priority list.

Just to add to my brief reply a couple of days ago.

BF may well see Armorique (II) as the most successful ship they have ever built. Successful from the point of view of her value and usefulness to them as a company. She is probably the most economical (and therefore profitable) cruise ferry they have ever built, and is certainly the most versatile. She is the only ship that is capable of serving on every route in the network and giving an at least passable performance on that route. Custom built, and in most respects ideal for, the Plymouth-Roscoff route (from the perspective of BF as a company). Has the most comfortable cabins of any ship in the fleet and has enough of them to be able to operate on the long distance routes, has twin level loading to enable her to work on the Portsmouth-Caen shuttle service, is small enough to fit into both Ouistreham and Poole, is a good enough sea-keeper to be able to cross Biscay in comfort, has the speed to do so in good time, and has onboard facilities to be considered a bona fide cruise ferry. Is the most fuel-efficient member of the fleet and has the lowest operating costs. Her only drawbacks are realty the absence of a proper restaurant (which makes her less than ideal for Spain and St Malo) and limited vehicle deck capacity (which makes her only suitable for Caen out of season). But no ferry can be all things to all men and Armorique comes closer than anything else to being most things to most men.

So I think you'll find that she is the very last member of the fleet that they have in mind to replace. Especially as at the current time she remains the newest.

• Like 2

I have booked up Armorique in November when she stands in for Barfleur for a week, not been on her yet, she will be another member of the fleet ticked off. She definitely is impressive, seen pics of her on board and am looking forward to travelling on her.

• Like 1

Probably, but then imagine the outcry on here if we did....😉 We like to make our occasional visitors welcome, but always glad to see our old friend back. While the cat's away job - enjoy her sisters...👍

After initially not liking her I've finally got on message with Armorique and like her a lot despite the lack of restaurant. She has a clean modern feel that certainly the young families on her Sunday a fortnight ago liked, very posh was a a description I heard a couple of times. Just a shame about the annoying muszak while you are waiting on the car decks, kind of reminds you of a chavy shopping center. Looking forward to seeing her in Poole in October.

Edited by d2frs

After initially not liking her I've finally got on message with Armorique and like her a lot despite the lack of restaurant. She has a clean modern feel that certainly the young families on her Sunday a fortnight ago liked, very posh was a a description I heard a couple of times. Just a shame about the annoying muszak while you are waiting on the car decks, kind of reminds you of a chavy shopping center. Looking forward to seeing her in Poole in October.

When I'm travelling with my kids, Armorique is my choice of ferry. Travelling alone when I want a restaurant meal etc she is fairly low down the list,

Just to add to my brief reply a couple of days ago.

BF may well see Armorique (II) as the most successful ship they have ever built. Successful from the point of view of her value and usefulness to them as a company. She is probably the most economical (and therefore profitable) cruise ferry they have ever built, and is certainly the most versatile. She is the only ship that is capable of serving on every route in the network and giving an at least passable performance on that route. Custom built, and in most respects ideal for, the Plymouth-Roscoff route (from the perspective of BF as a company). Has the most comfortable cabins of any ship in the fleet and has enough of them to be able to operate on the long distance routes, has twin level loading to enable her to work on the Portsmouth-Caen shuttle service, is small enough to fit into both Ouistreham and Poole, is a good enough sea-keeper to be able to cross Biscay in comfort, has the speed to do so in good time, and has onboard facilities to be considered a bona fide cruise ferry. Is the most fuel-efficient member of the fleet and has the lowest operating costs. Her only drawbacks are realty the absence of a proper restaurant (which makes her less than ideal for Spain and St Malo) and limited vehicle deck capacity (which makes her only suitable for Caen out of season). But no ferry can be all things to all men and Armorique comes closer than anything else to being most things to most men.

So I think you'll find that she is the very last member of the fleet that they have in mind to replace. Especially as at the current time she remains the newest.

My favourite all rounder is Mont St Michel, for all of the same reasons.

Well I doubt that Armorique is many people's "favourite" from a consumer point of view - she isn't mine, even though I do like her - but I don't think that BF see MSM as an all-rounder. Not really suited to anything longer than Caen / Le Havre / Roscoff. MSM is my third favourite member of the fleet, would choose her to Carn every time, but couldn't see her going to St Malo or Spain.

I must admit I do like Armorique easy to get around nice feeling of space , good searing in the bar and self service plus good cabins , ideal for the 6 hour Roscoff crossing.

• Like 1

I am pretty suprised that people don't like the Armorique, we travel virtually exclusively Ply Rosc and we find her quite ideal. If it's an overnight there is time to eat in Plymouth or Roscoff before embarking the lack of restauraunt is not as big a drag as we expected it to be. Now I have said that.

We love the Thursday night weekend deal they have every so often and use that to cross on the PA whilst eating on ship.

Bretagne remains our overall favourite but much of that is down to her holding such happy memories. If the sea is cutting up a bit rough though, it's Bretagne every time.

I cannot see either the Armorique or Pont being sold off any time soon, the Bretagnes days must however be numbered, and Barfleur for that matter.

Of course, the option none of us have mentioned is simply to sell a ship or two and cut back the number of sailings or routes they cover.....

• Like 1

Well I doubt that Armorique is many people's "favourite" from a consumer point of view - she isn't mine, even though I do like her - but I don't think that BF see MSM as an all-rounder. Not really suited to anything longer than Caen / Le Havre / Roscoff. MSM is my third favourite member of the fleet, would choose her to Carn every time, but couldn't see her going to St Malo or Spain.

Interesting, especially for St Malo as MSM has the restaurant & the greater number of berths to Arm' and possibly better facilities and more berths than the Cap' to Bilbao... As winter or say short term maintenance cover I think both MSM & Armorique are equally capable...

Edited by jonno

Of course, the option none of us have mentioned is simply to sell a ship or two and cut back the number of sailings or routes they cover.....

I would have thought that could well be an option under consideration. The last time Euro/£ exchange rates were at their current levels one route in particular was in serious trouble.

BF is good at seeing the wood for the trees. They're not going to abandon their strategy of maintaining a presence on all routes to deter any newcomer just because of a temporary boip in the exchange rate. Exchange rates go up and down all the time and BF are well used to riding out those fluctuations. But we do get it G4rth, you don't think BF should build any more ships. Must be a limit on the number of different ways you can say that though! ;)

But we do get it G4rth, you don't think BF should build any more ships. Must be a limit on the number of different ways you can say that though! ;)

Get it, you clearly don't, of course BF should build more ships. The company will eventually cease to exist if it doesn't. The question is is now the right time to do it? Maybe for France-Ireland-Spain routes as the risk would be minimal as the all use the Euro. Clearly you are happy to spend BF's money safe in the knowledge that the current situation is a "temporary blip". If I was spending several hundered million on new ships I think I might like something more concrete to go on than a couple of crossed fingers.

• Like 1

We're not spending BF's money in this thread, merely discussing what might happen in light of BF's announcement already made that they are intending to spend their own money (by placing orders for 2 ships before the end of this year).