Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Security exercise held at sea onboard Mont St Michel

Landing requires a ground crew for safety and also the aircraft needs to be secured to the deck - I doubt if ferry crews are trained to carry out this role. Much easier for the pilot to hover where he has full control of the aircraft at all times.

One assumes they would operate the same way to an air ambulance or police helicopter when it lands somewhere out of the way without ground support? At pilots discretion.

The ship will provide a fire team regardless of if the helicopter hovers or lands.

Air ambulances touch down on dry land. Ships move around from side to side and up and down so landing is potentially hazardous and the aircraft needs to be secured to stop it sliding around. I think you will find that naval choppers landing on ships have a link to a ship side controller who will talk the pilot down.

Air ambulances touch down on dry land. Ships move around from side to side and up and down so landing is potentially hazardous and the aircraft needs to be secured to stop it sliding around. I think you will find that naval choppers landing on ships have a link to a ship side controller who will talk the pilot down.

Pride of Hull must have been lucky to have someone onboard qualified to to talk or signal the pilot of the Sea King I saw.

You'll notice ferries with a proper helipad (Pont-Aven, Bretagne, Normandie etc) do indeed have securing points on the deck if required.

Well, obviously it will depend on the conditions and circumstances and you are quite correct that tie down points are indeed fitted to helipads but unless the ship is very stable then I think that winching will always be the preferred option as the rescue helicopters are highly trained in that type of procedure and, as I said, it leaves the pilot in total control.

Sorry if this has been discussed already - but is it the case then that Sea Marshals shall shortly be on ALL BF vessels - even walking around the NEX? That seems to be what the media is saying....

Thanks Gareth. Any ideas when it will commence. I guess this is all still evolving but this is for the long-term I imagine, like with changes to aircraft cockpit access, and not just a short-term knee jerk reaction? And I suppose there will be a mix of covert and overt operatives on each deployment!?

Just a guess (and not sure it would make a difference anyway), did the helicopter land *on* MSM, or were the people lowered? Perhaps the MSM was more suitable for this than other vessels. Have seen a pilot pick up off the Cote D'Albatre before but it was done by winching. I presume helipads have some kind of weight limit.

On the exercise on the Normandie the security team were winched down.