Sign in to follow this  
enyajtrebor

Barfleur capacity

Apologies if this has been covered before, Ive trie seacrhing but cant find the answer

Is Barfleur currently running on her full capacity or is it reduced. I can remember something about this when she returned from Dover a few years back

We are outbound on Saturday next so heres hoping for some improved weather !!

Thank you

She was built to carry over 1200 passengers but is currently reduced to 450 passengers, 249 berths across 67 cabins & 295 lounge seats.

She was built to carry over 1200 passengers but is currently reduced to 450 passengers, 249 berths across 67 cabins & 295 lounge seats.

It has since been increased to 900 passengers I believe. BF website says 900 capacity as well to almost confirm my believe. Originally she was 1212,

It has since been increased to 900 passengers I believe. BF website says 900 capacity as well to almost confirm my believe. Originally she was 1212,

I hope they have increased it to 900, it would show a renewed interest in the Poole route. I wonder why 3 different BF pages offer 3 different figures?

I hope they have increased it to 900, it would show a renewed interest in the Poole route. I wonder why 3 different BF pages offer 3 different figures?

Barfleur was packed to the brim for our return trip from the UK to France at the end of July.The car decks were all completely full and all the ship's facilities were working to maximum capacity.

​I looked at the Barfleur ship page to find the 900, which doesn't match her original nor her return capacity. I was under the impression they'd increased to 900 the 2nd year back.

You won't be disappointed Brigitte.

The "Old Girl" is in great form!

Yes, looking forward to getting back into the swing of it again, either been ill, could not afford it or been school holidays, not been on Libby neither, nor anything, so looking forward to picking up where I left off.

1212? Bloody hell that must have gotten very cosy on board! I've not had chance to gauge how busy she's been this year. My car stayed in France for the summer and Ive been back and forth as a footie this summer so Cherbourg - Poole has been off the agenda as Barfy gets back too late to allow onwards travel by public transport. Certainly the previous two summers I traveled on her she was packed. Perhaps needs a fast craft run as well to help her out. Extra passengers to the route can only be a good thing no matter what ship conveys then.

Bit of a rock and a hard place job, that, having a fastcraft to assist her. Would be a good idea, but cannot see BF sparing NEX, much as she would be appreciated in Poole at the height of the summer. She ran into difficulties when she had the Condor boat with regard to her own passnger numbers, now she hasn't got that extra help she is getting busy enough it seems to warrant one. She is packed, but still not up to her full quota, but then putting passenger numbers up would make her uncomfortable if she is too full.

I guess that unfortunately we just have to lump it at the moment - although if from what I have heard on the grapevine, people reckon Macquarie might be dumping Condor then possibly Libby and Rapide would be up for grabs... And I am serious, yes, Libby. BF would not run her out of season meaning she won't be expected to cope with rough sea, and she won't have the tidal restrictions and manoevering problems she has in the CI, reckon with BF she would be a different ship. Rapide has got a lot more life in her yet. I know this suggestion will get derision, expect it, but if what I have heard is true then possibly there will be two fastcraft up for grabs.

When she was laid up a few years back it was 1 night watchman + a cat. There was a stray cat who got onboard apparently and it took them a very long time to get it off again:)

When she was laid up a few years back it was 1 night watchman + a cat. There was a stray cat who got onboard apparently and it took them a very long time to get it off again:)
Not a rabbit then....😉

From what's been said about her loadings, there's clearly potential for BF to get a bit more than the single round trip out of Barfleur. Problem is, as we've discussed before, two full round trips is problematic because the overnight crossing needs to be too short.

So, if she did mainly 3 trips in the day, with one day having 2, she could increase the number of sailings on offer by almost 50%, and still provide opportunities for day trips in both directions with overnight sailings allowing a good night's sleep. Something like this:

Mon: 0900 C-P; 1500 P-C; 2200 C-P

Tues: 0800 P-C; 2200 C-P (crew change day)

Weds: 0800 P-C; 1700 C-P; 2200 P-C

Thurs: 0900 C-P; 1500 P-C; 2200 C-P

Fri: 0800 P-C; 1700 C-P; 2200 P-C

Sat: 0900 C-P; 1500 P-C; 2200 C-P

Sun: 0800 P-C; 1700 C-P; 2200 P-C

I will try and get some passenger numbers or at least an idea of possible loading's on Saturday. Its been two years since we were last went on Barfleur so it will be good to get another trip done

Coming back on Normandie in two weeks time so quite a comparison

From what's been said about her loadings, there's clearly potential for BF to get a bit more than the single round trip out of Barfleur. Problem is, as we've discussed before, two full round trips is problematic because the overnight crossing needs to be too short.

So, if she did mainly 3 trips in the day, with one day having 2, she could increase the number of sailings on offer by almost 50%, and still provide opportunities for day trips in both directions with overnight sailings allowing a good night's sleep. Something like this:

Mon: 0900 C-P; 1500 P-C; 2200 C-P

Tues: 0800 P-C; 2200 C-P (crew change day)

Weds: 0800 P-C; 1700 C-P; 2200 P-C

Thurs: 0900 C-P; 1500 P-C; 2200 C-P

Fri: 0800 P-C; 1700 C-P; 2200 P-C

Sat: 0900 C-P; 1500 P-C; 2200 C-P

Sun: 0800 P-C; 1700 C-P; 2200 P-C

Gareth, would it work if the afternoon sailings were switched and the crew change on a Thursday? I'm thinking of added congestion on the narrow approach roads to Poole Port in the early afternoon.

Not exactly sure what you mean Jonno, but is it can the afternoon sailings from Poole go later? My thinking with 1500 was that it then gets into Cherbourg at 1900 UK time, which is 2000 French time. Not too late for getting wherever you are going on arrival. If the departure was pushed back to 1600 that means 2100 arriving in France, which just feels a bit uncivilised. Also means the overnight back would probably have to go to 2300 (2230 at a push) French time, whereas 2200 felt more appealing (giving about 9 hours before the ship would need to dock in Poole at 0600).

They already clash don't they? Both Barfleur and Liberation (when she sails - oops, sorry, couldn't resist!) sail from Poole around 0830 every morning don't they?

Running Barfleur on 3 crossing per day will not be worth while. I've known Barfleur to have less than 100 people on board. It may work in the summer, but you can forget that idea in the winter.

Running Barfleur on 3 crossing per day will not be worth while. I've known Barfleur to have less than 100 people on board. It may work in the summer, but you can forget that idea in the winter.

Agreed. It was a summer idea.

Of course it should be summer only. It's the same as with the Bretagne to St Malo. In the winter it's over night only with a daytime layover in port then in the summer it's both ways each day. Ed.

Not exactly sure what you mean Jonno, but is it can the afternoon sailings from Poole go later? My thinking with 1500 was that it then gets into Cherbourg at 1900 UK time, which is 2000 French time. Not too late for getting wherever you are going on arrival. If the departure was pushed back to 1600 that means 2100 arriving in France, which just feels a bit uncivilised. Also means the overnight back would probably have to go to 2300 (2230 at a push) French time, whereas 2200 felt more appealing (giving about 9 hours before the ship would need to dock in Poole at 0600).

I was thinking that an afternoon sailing from Poole may cause too much congestion on the road network leading to the port. The approaches are quite narrow and convoluted, even a small convoy of HGV's can cause bottlenecks especially during dinnertime plus car & caravan drivers unfamiliar with the town can easily find themselves going 'round in circles. The early morning sailing makes this far easier on quieter streets.

I agree that a mid afternoon sailing on a short sea route is appealing and would attract new travellers, I'm just concerned that Poole's road network, in it's current form, would struggle to cope which in the long term could make the port less attractive.

Edited by jonno