Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

New Members Starting Threads

Not sure where the best place to put this was so hope this is the approptiate forum.

So, we've had three threads recently started each by a new user whose account seems to have been created for the purpose of starting the thread and then not seen online in the forum after that day.

One of the threads was not seen immediately as spam and generated a lot of contribution from members until davefromcornwall called it. The second was an attempt to stir up an isn't BF rubbish bandwaggon that we nearly fell for, and the third we are now wise too. Some of us suspect that all three threads are the work of the same person; we shall see if there is a fourth.

Anyway, to the suggestion. Would it be a good idea (and is it even possible) to have the forum set up so that new members must participate in existing threads (say, 10 posts?) before they are able to start their own threads?

Edited by Gareth

I thought Mods had to approve the first 10 posts now, or did that get lost when the Website was updated a while ago, there were several bugs after that,

The fact that the postings got a response surely shows that others were interested enough to think they were worthy of a reply. The point that the origional posters didn't participate further is, I would have thought, totally irrelevent. Spam does occur at times but is dealt with. I don't see how a thread which may, to some, make a valid point can be rejected on no other basis than the origional poster hasn't made further postings on the subject.

• Like 1

That's fair enough, if people are happy with that. Whether the point is valid or whether the question is legitimate will of course always be subjective.

Edited by Gareth

If you go into the Members List you will see any amount of people who join and don't participate at all. Some people are just like that. Many occasions there have been single posts with no further interaction from OP. Maybe a lack of manners, they could have posted to say thanks for the reply, but some just don't I guess. Sometimes we get a flurry at once, don't think anyone is really that concerned - it is only when they are providing links that it could be iffy.

there is nothing wrong with new posts from peeps who may be asking about a dog/cat/car/van/horse/boat get the answer they need and dont need to reply. They are not going to get to 10 posts? The reason I suggested it was a stirrer rather than a contributor is that it "hit all the right buttons". There was no new information that couldn't have been gained from reading the "new ships" threads. Plus the recent activity suggested they hadn't logged in since asking the question!

Thing is, Dave, they don't need to log in to see threads and any replies, unless they are going to post themselves then they don't need to bother logging in. I have googled both usernames along with the word Plymouth in each search, maybe dpeeps here ought to do the same and see if they have posted anywhere else. Not appropriate on this forum to go into my search results, but people usually use the same usernames wherever they post.

It is basic etiquette to come back and say thanks etc but I think there are probably 10-15 or so main contributors here and then the rest are one or two post wonders though.

Well I guess it is annoying when you are seeing the same posts pop up all the time, but I figure its alright if they search the forum first and make sure the question has never been asked before?

But yes, it is annoying when the have only signed up to ask this question, so I suppose maybe one of those '10 posts, before making a thread' ??

I thought Mods had to approve the first 10 posts now, or did that get lost when the Website was updated a while ago, there were several bugs after that,

... and it should still be happening. The only exception was when I rescued the member data from the 'old' forum, everyone had to be moved into the standard group - but new joiners should still be going in to their own. I'll look into this.

Right... so, this should now be fixed... and the way it should work is thus:

- Someone joins BFE and is in the 'New BFE Member' category

- They posts will need to be pre-approved until they either make 5 successful posts or 30 days have passed since they joined. That count of 5 includes creating new threads.

- Once either of those criteria are met, they will be moved to the normal 'BFE Member' category by the system within an hour.

Let's see how this goes and we can adjust as necessary.

• Like 1

I've been here more than 30 days, and have made 5+ posts, yet still my posts need moderator approval.

And, on the Condor Ferries thread, posts made days ago have still not been approved yet.

I've been here more than 30 days, and have made 5+ posts, yet still my posts need moderator approval.

And, on the Condor Ferries thread, posts made days ago have still not been approved yet.

That's because your account was manually placed in the moderated group as it has a striking similarity to an account which is banned. Moderation queue has been reviewed and posts approved (yes, sometimes it does take us a while to get to it I'm afraid), I've also moved your account into normal member status.

That's because your account was manually placed in the moderated group as it has a striking similarity to an account which is banned. Moderation queue has been reviewed and posts approved (yes, sometimes it does take us a while to get to it I'm afraid), I've also moved your account into normal member status.

Thanks for explaining that Jim, my posts have now appeared.

Sadly, a few are essentially duplicates, as I wasn't sure if they were making it to the moderation stage (connection problems/site software issues etc). The only thing I would say is, they don't show as new posts. They are behind stuff which was posted after, and subsequently I'm not sure they are being read or that the message is reaching those who it was intended to reach.

Right... so, this should now be fixed... and the way it should work is thus:

- Someone joins BFE and is in the 'New BFE Member' category

- They posts will need to be pre-approved until they either make 5 successful posts or 30 days have passed since they joined. That count of 5 includes creating new threads.

- Once either of those criteria are met, they will be moved to the normal 'BFE Member' category by the system within an hour.

Let's see how this goes and we can adjust as necessary.

I like that idea :-)

Desperate to do an engine room visit? Book a private experience?

Smells fishy to me.......

Yep. First thought that occurred to me too, as I'm sure it did to Ed. "Tim" was the last one before this and you will detect a tiny hint of sarcasm in our replies to that one. I'm sure it's all the same person. The style always has some common patterns whenever it happens. I nearly posted a reply to the "private experience" reference but decided I shouldn't as there may be children reading! 😉