hi Ryan. I've done a few of these now, including Stockholm-Tallin, Riga-Stockholm, Stockholm-Helsinki, Gdansk-Nynshamn, Hirtsals - Bergen and Trelleborg-Sassnitz. Leaving Stockholm in the early evening as the sun goes down is just wonderful if you get the right weather, and both Tallin and Riga have great old towns to explore (although Tallin is probably more picturesque). The good thing about Tallin is you can then link through to Helsinki very easily, as Tallink run several services a day and it takes just 3 hours or so.Gdansk is absolutely fascinating with a wonderful maritime museum, but the overnight Polferries service to Sweden can't compare on quality with Viking or Silja Tallink. And make sure you visit to Vasa museum if you go to Stockholm - a bit like the Mary Rose but much better preserved. Also, if in Stockholm you fancy seeing the evening rush hour when the big boats come through then head for the shoreline at Gashaga at the eastern end of Lidingo island where the ferries seem just feet away as they rumble through - the Gashaga hotel is a very pleasant overnight base to do just that.

Anyway, I'm off on a day trip up the Kiel Canal and am trying Color Line's very expensive Kiel-Oslo overnight cruise ferry next week, so will report back if interested in the latter. Hope this helps !

• Like 1
hi Ryan. I've done a few of these now, including Stockholm-Tallin, Riga-Stockholm, Stockholm-Helsinki, Gdansk-Nynshamn, Hirtsals - Bergen and Trelleborg-Sassnitz. Leaving Stockholm in the early evening as the sun goes down is just wonderful if you get the right weather, and both Tallin and Riga have great old towns to explore (although Tallin is probably more picturesque). The good thing about Tallin is you can then link through to Helsinki very easily, as Tallink run several services a day and it takes just 3 hours or so.Gdansk is absolutely fascinating with a wonderful maritime museum, but the overnight Polferries service to Sweden can't compare on quality with Viking or Silja Tallink. And make sure you visit to Vasa museum if you go to Stockholm - a bit like the Mary Rose but much better preserved. Also, if in Stockholm you fancy seeing the evening rush hour when the big boats come through then head for the shoreline at Gashaga at the eastern end of Lidingo island where the ferries seem just feet away as they rumble through - the Gashaga hotel is a very pleasant overnight base to do just that.

Anyway, I'm off on a day trip up the Kiel Canal and am trying Color Line's very expensive Kiel-Oslo overnight cruise ferry next week, so will report back if interested in the latter. Hope this helps !

Kiel to Oslo is great! They ships are not just ferries, they are cruise ships with a car deck! You will have so much fun ;-)

In terms of Ryans question.... I (myself) prefer a more Ro-Pax experience. So I really enjoyed Kiel to Klaipeda, and Klaipeda to Karlshamn. The experiance is rather good considering the size of the ships. But for cruise ferries? Take a look at Talink and Silja Line. They are meant to be good.

Enjoy!

-DFP

Wonderful, thanks a lot - I envy those trips you've done Pegpilot! I'm currently looking at staying a night in Stockholm and then sailing with Viking Line to Helsinki and back, on either Mariella or Gabriella, seems reasonably good value.

Mariella is probably a little better than Gabriella out of the Viking Line Helsinki pair - those four Croatian-built sisters are slightly pale copies of the original. Although Mariella was somewhat unfortunately refurbished six or seven years ago which expunged quite a bit of her remaining original decor she is still the definitive classic Baltic ferry.