Sign in to follow this  
jonno

Brittany Ferries record numbers.

I don't dispute that they want the market for themselves. And if one route is subsidising another and it's viable to continue like that then so be it. But come the day when the ferry being run at a loss (at certain times of the year) starts costing big money in terms of maintenance etc then it will have to go and BF will have to revaluate their priorities. Even if that vessel is a much loved one. There is little room for sentimentality in big business and a lot of people will be equally sad to see Bretagne leave (when she does) but it's the bottom line which matters. Ed.

I don't dispute that they want the market for themselves. And if one route is subsidising another and it's viable to continue like that then so be it. But come the day when the ferry being run at a loss (at certain times of the year) starts costing big money in terms of maintenance etc then it will have to go and BF will have to revaluate their priorities. Even if that vessel is a much loved one. There is little room for sentimentality in big business and a lot of people will be equally sad to see Bretagne leave (when she does) but it's the bottom line which matters. Ed.

Leaving Poole would leave space for another ferry company (like Condor) to develop it's activities.

It would be ideal for them to use Poole to operate to St Malo and Cherbourg with a conventional ferry service.

Does BF want to take the risk?

They tried working with Condor for a time but put Barfleur back to keep a presence and an eye on potential opposition.

Leaving Poole would leave space for another ferry company (like Condor) to develop it's activities.

It would be ideal for them to use Poole to operate to St Malo and Cherbourg with a conventional ferry service.

Does BF want to take the risk?

They tried working with Condor for a time but put Barfleur back to keep a presence and an eye on potential opposition.

But all they have to do is bring the Cot back and take the bread if not the butter from any competitor.

Don't think Cotentin is an option in the immediate future but then again it's all pretty academic at the moment while Barfleur has her niche. Market conditions, as well as the logistics of Poole and Cherbourg, may be very different when the time comes for her to go.

Don't think Cotentin is an option in the immediate future but then again it's all pretty academic at the moment while Barfleur has her niche. Market conditions, as well as the logistics of Poole and Cherbourg, may be very different when the time comes for her to go.

Certainly not for Poole Cherbourg but I would have thought that using her for freight to Spain would be another matter. Current financial conditions may possibly alter the current balance in passenger/freight ratio requirements. It may well be the increased capacity of Cotentin would allow savings by the release of Pelican and possibly a small decrease in the number of midweek Ro-Ro pasenger sailings.

Oh, absolutely G4rth, I'm sure BF would replace Pelican with Cotentin like a shot if they could. I was more thinking that, as far as I know, the ship is unavailable to them because of the terms of the contract with Stena.

The charter income from Stena is presumably well in excess of the charter costs of the Pelican though whilst running costs of Cotentin would be significantly greater, not least in crewing. Pelican offers a very cost effective way of transporting unaccompanied freight which is perhaps all BF want from that service for now.

The charter income from Stena is presumably well in excess of the charter costs of the Pelican though whilst running costs of Cotentin would be significantly greater, not least in crewing. Pelican offers a very cost effective way of transporting unaccompanied freight which is perhaps all BF want from that service for now.

I'm sure you are correct regarding just a straight Cotentin Pelican swap. Although the figures may look different if Cotentins extra capacity enabled a reduction in other UK Spain crossings.

I would think it is safe to say that no other company is going to try to enter the western Channel market for some time. Unless I am 100% wrong about what the rabid right are up to as regards Brexit and the trashing of the UK economy.

• Like 1

Well said, Colin.

I have mentioned the return of Cotentin myself, and have been told several times that she is not in future plans for the fleet. I think for the time being we will have to work with what we have got, and I have a feeling that BF might forget about replacing Bretagne as a result of Brexit (a postive?!!) will they spend money on new vessels in these uncertain times or will they eke out a few more years on the present old girls until things stabilise.