Sign in to follow this  
cvabishop

Bretagne - new miniature model

A friend brought the model of Bretagne from this company, and I have to say, I have never seen such sloppy work in my life. The funnel is fine although the stripes are wrong, and the whole thing looks like it's been painted by a 3 year old. There is no way I would of paid £41 for this!

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Without wanting to cause offence to anyone who produced this model, paying £41 for this constitutes one of the biggest rip off's off all time.

£5 would have been too much!

I've seen the 3-d printed ones on board and they are much more realistic. A bit of Humbrol and a steady hand would produce more convincing results. Plus you get a key-ring attachment and a little drawer in the back to keep things in (but I haven't found anything small enough to actually put in one yet). Ed

7 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Why has the striping on the funnel been 'criss crossed'? 

Very very basic error there....

Because they are using straight lines printed on transfer paper and haven't taken into account the curvature of the funnel. If you want to see a bad model then take a look at the Incat 74 Snaefell by the same manufacturer.....

If you want quality 1/1250 models then you are looking at £100+ new but some like the Barfleur and Pont-Aven made by Carat have etched deck railings and other detailing parts so a lot of effort has gone in to them.

These photos of the 'Normandie' are from the same people, Mountford Models. Again, the paint is sloppy, and why is there a 'Step' in the Car Deck?

17392253_1491494234194458_903776447_n.jpg

17361113_1491494064194475_1882669632_n.jpg

17361061_1491493970861151_1868307555_n.jpg

17352753_1491493487527866_1034006628_n.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver

There is now a post-scrubber Mont St Michel model available from the same manufacturer.  It looks to be to the same standard as the Bretagne and Normandie models.

22 hours ago, Timmy said:

There is now a post-scrubber Mont St Michel model available from the same manufacturer.  It looks to be to the same standard as the Bretagne and Normandie models.

Thank you for sparing us the pictures Timmy! ;)

If they were speciality cakes or something like that they would be quite impressive!  They look like you should be able to put a knife through them and find a nice juicy fruit cake inside! :)

Edited by Gareth

This is a bit harsh; they are kinda cute. Definately got a character of their own! You can tell someone has really tried, and anyone who purchased one will still know it as the ship they love!

On 23/11/2018 at 21:20, Tumnus2010 said:

And they wanted £30 for that?? Wow, it's I guess supposed to be Pont? But it's pretty terrible

£30 or £40 ain't so bad.

I remember the Pont Aven one in Antics used to be £200!

DFDS used to do models of their ships for about £5... hollow die-cast and all white. I have the Prince and Princess of Scandinavia still somewhere!

1:1250 models are usually pretty expensive and usually you get what you pay for but quality can be inconsistent, even with the upmarket manufacturers so you need to be very careful what you are buying. Sometimes you have to compromise if the model is of a full size ship you particularly like which is why I bought the Bretagne model.