Andy

Temporary Closure At Portsmouth Wightlink Terminal

Portsmouth Car Ferry Terminal Closure

On 1, 2 and 3 November 2016 our Portsmouth Car Ferry Terminal will be closed. Sailings from Fishbourne will be diverted to the Portsmouth International Port (Cross Channel Ferry Terminal).

Only booked vehicles will be accepted during this time and foot passengers will only be carried on our catamarans from Portsmouth Harbour-Ryde Pier Head route. We will be operating an additional overnight foot passenger service from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde Pier Head.

http://www.wightlink.co.uk/go/service-status/#changes

I wonder (but doubt they will) whether they have a chance on the double linkspan at the PIP to use St Clare's upper deck as a straight drive on?

I'd be surprised to see the IoW ferries on anything apart from the smaller berth 1 but you never know. Berth 4 is too busy so it would need to be berth 3. But berth 3 is simply huge. If they configured the upper ramp to St Clare's upper deck (is that even possible?) then would there be enough headroom for freight using the lower ramp? So sticking to berth 1 would be the most likely I'd have thought.

I'd be surprised to see the IoW ferries on anything apart from the smaller berth 1 but you never know. Berth 4 is too busy so it would need to be berth 3. But berth 3 is simply huge. If they configured the upper ramp to St Clare's upper deck (is that even possible?) then would there be enough headroom for freight using the lower ramp? So sticking to berth 1 would be the most likely I'd have thought.

Can confirm they were actually using berth 3 both today and yesterday. I too wondered though if they could use the double deck loading - would be interesting to find out.

Would love to have seen the Clare in between the Bretagne and Cap this morning!

Well they are up at PIP again this week for 3 days. The new terminal layout is coming on a treat although a little chaotic for busy times especially when lots of freight and coaches as they have to park outside in Gunwharf Road and last Friday they ran out of space on the road.

Parking in and around Gunwharf Road and Old Portsmouth I have heard is to be reduced to 1 hour free from the current 2, KA permit holders exempt. People have complained they cannot park near their house as everyone using Gunwharf Quays parks there to avoid the high car park charges.

15 hours ago, adicat said:

Bit dodgy if a car loses control and goes through railings as they are not fixed. Plenty of left over unprotected linkspan.

Lose control driving down there ? If that's the case they shouldn't be on the road. You might as well say it's dodgy driving along Poole quay where there's no barriers or anywhere else near the water.

but then barriers at top of wightlinks linkspans, necessary? You may as well say if someone drives down there if there were no barriers when no vessel in they should not be on the road as plenty of time to realise nothing at the end. In this instance, sudden loss of control would be more of a risk. Driver has a sudden "episode" that ends up with the car in the drink.

Edited by adicat

Muns,

Footies aren't carried when the vessels sail to PIP. Additional catamaran sailings are provided during the night - often advertised as being operated by charter vessels.

Den

On 29/04/2017 at 07:51, captjack said:

Lose control driving down there ? If that's the case they shouldn't be on the road. You might as well say it's dodgy driving along Poole quay where there's no barriers or anywhere else near the water.

On 04/05/2017 at 06:18, captjack said:

Again, shouldn't be driving.  You can have an episode driving down the Motorway at 70. Why is this a problem At 10 to 20 mph.

Well, not a particularly nice attitude to a potential problem. I've been recently diagnosed with heart problem which could put me at a greater risk of a stroke than normal. It was discovered after a hospital visit totally unconnected to my heart. I had no symptoms, I'm lucky, I've found out I had a problem of which I was totally unaware and will be treated for it. There must be probably thousands and thousands of people driving around with ailments that could cause problems and of which they have no knowledge. Let us all hope that you're not one of them. A relatively small outlay is surely worth possibly saving several lives.

10 hours ago, captjack said:

I'm not aware of anybody driving off a linkspan or a slipway for floating bridges because of a medical problem

Perhaps you don't consider a mental health problem as a medical problem then. I've lived in Poole for the last 42 years and in that time a number of people have driven off of the slipways for the Sandbanks ferry, sadly a lot of them have died.

So, anyway.....back to Wightlink's Portsmouth Terminal!.... ;)

(And feel free to discuss Mental Health in the Open House Chatter section).

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:10, den herraghty said:

Muns,

Footies aren't carried when the vessels sail to PIP. Additional catamaran sailings are provided during the night - often advertised as being operated by charter vessels.

Den

Thanks Den, I was not aware of that fact.

Edited by muns

5 hours ago, G4rth said:

Perhaps you don't consider a mental health problem as a medical problem then. I've lived in Poole for the last 42 years and in that time a number of people have driven off of the slipways for the Sandbanks ferry, sadly a lot of them have died.

The same has happened on the King Harry ferry on the Fal, the last time I think the driver it the accelerator by mistake, but the free standing fencing and cones wouldn't stop a car in these cases.

6 hours ago, G4rth said:

Different thing completely, anyway bored with the conversation, you have your views, I have mine.

I'm surprised the linkspan used by the Wightlink ferries, when diverged to PIP, is not equipped with a closely spaced row of metal bollards. They could be similar to those used to protect public or government buildings and pivot up into position as required, either individually to block a certain section of the ramp or synchronised to protect the entire sea-end from any vehicles suffering from mechanical failure or driver error,  intentional or otherwise. Ed  

To satisfy health and safety regulations, but you are right. If it's not going to be a regular service from PIP then it will be impossible to justify the cost until the day when the inevitable accident occurs and someone sues the port for negligence. Ed.