prices 2017

Just come back from a wonderful short BF hotel break in SW Brittany. Loved the area so looked at booking a Gite/cottage late May 2017 to go back for a week. However looking at ferry ticket prices they seem to be around £700 return for overnight plus a cabin out to St Malo back from Ouistreham. If we add a cottage to this its just to much its nearly double what we would pay for accommodation. I have to say I am a little shocked, maybe our BF days are coming to an end. Do BF enthusisasts know of better ways to get the best ferry prices? Most accommodation is Sat to Sat so mid weekntravel is not straight forward

£700 wow.

I have a quote of £378 return for daytime crossings for car + Caravan going out in August from Plymouth to Roscoff. Mind you the Caravan Club will sell me the same crossings for £280 and throw in 7 of their camp site vouchers - which I can sell on for £70 - so net cost to me for the return ferry comes down to £210.

Blimey! I've got a May crossing Pmth/Ouistreham for £241 return with Club Voyage. It adds less than an hour to our onward drive to the Vendee but worth it. Early departure from Pompey, still there for dinner. And it saves the cost of an overnight cabin. I don't pay as much as your quote for crossings to Spain with a caravan.

As with all bookings though, the earlier you can make them the better, price-wise.

Hello all. Thanks for your input. I have revisited, I think I may be clashing partly with Bank holiday. I have re looked at going Caen both ways and the price drops over £120. The issue of day crossing does not really work for us due to our location and travel issues. The other big impact is a Friday night crossing outwards. I guess BF will charge more for that. Unfortunately most holiday accommodation is Saturday to Saturday. BF dont have any inclusive self catering where we want to go which is another great way of saving money. So the best I have it got it down to is about £480 If we can avoid the Bank holiday weekend and g Caen both ways. Which still seems pricey for 2 adults and a VW Golf before the high season, maybe I am just out of touch with prices. One final point. I note mention of Club Voyage. But having looked at the deal I reckon we would have to travel several times a year to make a net cost saving, or again am I missing something obvious?

Hi Redwards. You're right about having to do more than one crossing to make CV worthwhile, although we joined the Spanish faction and saved more than the membership and joining fees with just 1 return Spanish crossing and 1 outwards to Spain, return from Caen. After year 1 of course the savings are greater. Don't forget the breakfast and meal allowances too, if you're a glutton like we are they mount up too. Now we're doing those journeys plus 4 or 5 French crossings the net savings are many hundreds.

Terry

Edited by TerryDorset
Typos
Newhaven Dieppe is from only £130 if you travel out Friday the 26th overnight, return a week later on the Friday. Cabins extra or slum it in a seat...

A very good alternative option if you don't mind the extra driving on both sides. It's going to be about 4 hours in the car just to get to Rennes (I'm not sure where the Redward's gite is, but I'm guessing somewhere near Vannes or Quiberon) and will cost 60 euros more in fuel and road tolls each way over the St Malo/Caen option. I suspect it will all depend on where they are starting from in the UK but it might also be worth doing a price check on Poole-Cherbourg or Portsmouth-Cherbourg with the NEX as the Saturday timings are not bad. Ed

Reading all these posts about pricing makes me realise that you guys on the mainland don't know you're living .... Cork/Roscoff return for us 1st July 2017 ... euro 1350 !!!

Wow that's not cheap. Can I ask what all that money actually gets you, apart from to France obviously? Is it for two adults and two children plus a car and standard cabin or something more sophisticated? Ed.

Wow that's not cheap. Can I ask what all that money actually gets you, apart from to France obviously? Is it for two adults and two children plus a car and standard cabin or something more sophisticated? Ed.

2 adults and 3 children in a 4 berth outside ... 2 kids still share a bunk ... car with roofbox, thats it ..... its like euro 549 each way and euro 145 each way for the cabins .. probably because of the length of the journey and probably teh fact that there isnt a lot of competition from Cork and they can bump up the price.

As you say -a captive audience with no other ferries from France to Cork. Only alternative is Cherbourg to Rosslare but involves extra driving especially if your destination is near Cork. However I am amazed that Irish ferries can go from Cherbourg meeting your same criteria for over 500 euro less even though it,s a longer sea route.

As you say -a captive audience with no other ferries from France to Cork. Only alternative is Cherbourg to Rosslare but involves extra driving especially if your destination is near Cork. However I am amazed that Irish ferries can go from Cherbourg meeting your same criteria for over 500 euro less even though it,s a longer sea route.

Irish Ferries Price Out 30th June 2017 Back 15th July 2017 2 Adults 3 children Vehicle with Roofbox 3star 4 berth cabin €1633 Route Rosslare -Roscoff

Is actually dearer than Brittany Ferries....

Thanks for the reply Boallen. It does seem a lot for just 14 hours at sea. I assume you are in the Cork area so not willing to travel to Rosslare as Nigelinfrance suggested. Where are you trying to get to in France after you arrive in Roscoff? There also seems to be no BF travel club for those in Ireland, perhaps as they can only offer crossings for half the year. Joining the French club would be a possibility but you only get 10% off the crossings so the net saving would less than 100 euros assuming you do one trip per year. Ed.