Grimaldi lines; mv Roma

Terrible...I was on her sister ship "Barcelona" in June.

Nearly as bad as SNCM!

These two ships look really nice from the exterior but inside everything just seems cheap and freighter-like. Not surprising really, seeing that most of the Grimaldi fleet are freight ships.

Food is cr@p even in their waiter-service restaurant. Cheap-quality frozen food. The offerings in their self-service cafeteria are Soviet army style.

The outside decks become paddling pools after a shower of rain - so pack those wellies. You might need to pack ear-plugs as well because the engines on these sisters are about as refined as a thirty year old Bendix washing machine.

On the plus side, the outdoor cafe-bar on the top deck is quite pleasant as it the Grimaldi Lines terminal in Barcelona.

Edited by zuludelta

The ships could be impressive purely because of their scale - but the build quality is poor and the outfit of most areas is cheap. The design is unsubtle and the whole operation very un-BF like.

I haven't been on either of these two since they were still relatively new but out of four crossings on different Grimaldi ships in the past 18 months, three showed a consistent pattern of poor maintenance, lots of rust and crappy food. The fourth was on the Cruise Olbia which the company haven't had chance to bring down to scratch yet.

BTW, don't pre-book your meals on their online reservations portal. Restaurant staff don't seem to recognise any meal vouchers which have been bought online. I had to get the reception desk onboard to phone up to the restaurant to prove I had actually pre-paid online!

GRIMaldi Lines do live up their name...

BTW, don't pre-book your meals on their online reservations portal. Restaurant staff don't seem to recognise any meal vouchers which have been bought online. I had to get the reception desk onboard to phone up to the restaurant to prove I had actually pre-paid online!

GRIMaldi Lines do live up their name...

Had a similar thing - we pre-booked the "business meal" package option. Once they eventually managed to work out what it was, they insisted on only letting us have the cheapest of the main course options at the self service - everything else was "forbidden" - none of this was spelled out at the booking stage and it would have been cheaper to buy on board.

• 2 months later...

gd day,

Sorry for late reply, i was experimenting login problems.

I risked to book copule of weeks ago.

Terrible pitching (it was bit rough) + really bad service/meals even running at half pax capacity.

I hate flying but next time i'll do it