Sign in to follow this  
TerryDorset

Car Alarms

So that's a Ford Focus with bikes and a barbecue. What colour did you say it was? But seriously you might be right about leaving it unlocked. If you walk away from the vehicle and simply press the unlock button the lights will probably flash giving anybody watching the impression it has just locked. I can't see the crew wandering around during the crossing and trying all the cars just to steal the one euro in each glovebox which people keep for the supermarket trolleys. Ed.

I can lock my Focus it was the Megane that was a nightmare alarm wise and suspension and electrics and a load of other things but that's a different thread.

(It's a BF Holidays euro and a Le clerc euro)

My solution for noisy car alarms disturbing my sleep: Turn on the shower at about half full flow; angle it at the shower curtain, then sit back and relax. Instead of car sirens which remind me of the big city, I just hear the sound of an imaginary waterfall which transports me to somewhere altogether more peaceful. I am asleep in no time at all and the sound of the waterfall makes me oblivious to the car alarms. Not so good for the ship's water supply, but I sleep happy.

My old Renault (2008 scenic) I didn't bother locking as I didn't know how to disable the alarm. It didn't have conventional manual door key holes.

Vauxhall and Saab it didn't activate when locking using the manual key hole.

Now have a 206 SW and a 1 series, I don't know how to disengage the alarm on the 1, and don't think the 206 has an alarm!

Edited by richwarwicker

My solution for noisy car alarms disturbing my sleep: Turn on the shower at about half full flow; angle it at the shower curtain, then sit back and relax. Instead of car sirens which remind me of the big city, I just hear the sound of an imaginary waterfall which transports me to somewhere altogether more peaceful. I am asleep in no time at all and the sound of the waterfall makes me oblivious to the car alarms. Not so good for the ship's water supply, but I sleep happy.

Now we know why the showers on Barfleur are only providing lukewarm water (see 'Future of Ecomomie' thread). Ed

Not one IOW ferry leaves without the alarm going off from some cars onboard. Usually when the hard a port to go out the harbour. BMWs have very sensitive alarms and I think Audis are pretty regular offenders as well.

Not one IOW ferry leaves without the alarm going off from some cars onboard. Usually when the hard a port to go out the harbour. BMWs have very sensitive alarms and I think Audis are pretty regular offenders as well.

That's hardly surprising when you consider that they are among the most stolen vehicles in the UK.

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/2016/jun/25/hi-tech-thieves-keyless-car-crime-electronic-security%253F0p19G%253De&ved=0ahUKEwiJ8-Hlw7TQAhVL0hoKHa1yDPwQFggxMAM&usg=AFQjCNFSJ7h-Vhl-7VZvvylkxfOrKmsREg&sig2=KAwz_TH0kEFwbp8IEJQtlg

Ed.

Skoda are the same as the rest of the VAG cars, they have a button on a drivers side interior pillar which deactivates the motion sensors. Two pushes of the keyfob switch deactivates the alarm completely. Our van has the same set up as Solo, which is the opposite, so I spend a lot of the time turning the car alarm off anyway or not putting it on when using the van.

I wonder how many people leave their cars in neutral and the handbrake on too.

I wonder how many people leave their cars in neutral and the handbrake on too.

I understand why leaving the handbrake on is a good idea but what's wrong with leaving the car in gear? Handbrakes on rear discs are not always as effective as one might like.

I understand why leaving the handbrake on is a good idea but what's wrong with leaving the car in gear? Handbrakes on rear discs are not always as effective as one might like.

What are you talking about?

Passenger vehicle ferry instruction... "please leave your vehicle in gear, handbrake and alarm off."

Passenger vehicle ferry instruction... "please leave your vehicle in gear, handbrake and alarm off."

I am pretty sure the vehicle must be in gear/ or P engaged and handbrake on.

Well I got that back to front.:) It would seem, to me at least, slightly more logical to leave the handbrake on and also the car in gear. I must confess that instructions, to me, tend to be a last port of call rather than a must read item.

I usually find that getting 5h1tf4c3d in the restaurant on Bretagne provides a cure for most car alarm disturbance issues. Agree that ARM has probably the best cabins though I do sleep like a log in the cabins on desk 8 on Barfy as well. Normandie is the worst by a long way.

I usually find that getting 5h1tf4c3d in the restaurant on Bretagne provides a cure for most car alarm disturbance issues. Agree that ARM has probably the best cabins though I do sleep like a log in the cabins on desk 8 on Barfy as well. Normandie is the worst by a long way.

Okay, I'll ask. What's 5h1tf4c3d?

Okay, I'll ask. What's 5h1tf4c3d?

I think it's the onboard WiFi code unless I'm missing something! On DFDS it's R4tAr5eD. Ed.

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

As instructed on the back of the rearview mirror card, handbrake must be on.

WOW, Sorry chaps I stand corrected, I've only started using the handbrake since I've switched to a DSG... I used to leave them in reverse gear. Being the anorak that I am, I've just checked and apparently caravan handbrakes should be applied too.

Being the anorak that I am, I've just checked and apparently caravan handbrakes should be applied too.

Yep, I do that. And unplug the 13 pin connector, otherwise it confuses the ATC.

Pont Aven last weekend - a deck hand was explaining to each driver exactly how to turn off interior motion sensor & lift/jack alarm (2 separate buttons on my car). Impressive knowledge.

Pont Aven last weekend - a deck hand was explaining to each driver exactly how to turn off interior motion sensor & lift/jack alarm (2 separate buttons on my car). Impressive knowledge.

Impressive indeed given that there are so many possible permutations from all the manufacturers. Either he/she has had specific training or has just picked it up from years of experience. I suppose the other alternative for those who find it too fiddly, or can't be sure it has actually worked, is to ask your local garage mechanic which fuse governs the locking and alarm systems and simply pull it out before manually locking all the doors.

Ed

​I've just had a look on the 1 series (2007) and there is no clear way of disengaging the alarm. There is no dash button, There are 3 buttons on the fob not marked what they do.

​I've just had a look on the 1 series (2007) and there is no clear way of disengaging the alarm. There is no dash button, There are 3 buttons on the fob not marked what they do.

Pressing the lock button on the fob twice rather than once should disengage the tilt and motion sensors. The only feedback you seem to get is from the red light on the rear view mirror which stays solid for a while. Edited by hhvferry

Go on! Try them. What's the worst that can happen? Ed.

I'd guess one of the buttons is a boot/tailgate release. If lock and unlock are the same button, the third could be windows?