Sign in to follow this  
BJSLIV

SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News

Re The TV News report mentioned earlier. In effect the report says that wef !st January Brittany Ferries are imposing new work rotas that require the engineering / technical staff to work an extra 4 hours per week, which they say is equivalent to 9/10 days extra work per year, with only a small offset of 4 extra days holiday. The unions are going to court to delay the introduction pending further talks. Negotiations have been going on for 6 months.

I hope this doesn't mean a new round of strikes is on the horizon.

As her sailing to Spain has been cancelled BF are running the Cap to Cherbourg tonight. At the moment there are apparently 75 cars booked on her and no lorries.

I thought she might head across to Cherbourg. The primary reason for this is, of course, for a crew change as she will be missing her Roscoff call tomorrow. The fact that they are taking traffic on her to compensate for the cancellation of tonight's Roscoff sailing from Plymouth is an added bonus.

• Like 1

Well onboard Cap now. She's rather nice! At the risk of offending the fans of PA, on first impression I'd say the Cap was the better ship..... I was last on at 23:10 and they shu the doors pretty promptly behind me. Couldn't see any freight on board but a number if cars and camper vans. There were a few Spanish registered cars who presumably couldn't wait and are going to do the long drag from Cherbourg south. We cast off about 23:30 in what must be the slowest departure from Portsmouth ever. We crawled off the berth. And are only just approaching the spinnaker tower. Surprisingly The main restaurant is open though embarrassingly I'm the only person in there now but the staff as ever are wonderful two of whom recognise me from the Bretagne.

Edited by d2frs

Well onboard Cap now. She's rather nice! At the risk of offending the fans of PA, on first impression I'd say the Cap was the better ship..... I was last on at 23:10 and they shu the doors pretty promptly behind me. Couldn't see any freight on board but a number if cars and camper vans. There were a few Spanish registered cars who presumably couldn't wait and are going to do the long drag from Cherbourg south. We cast off about 23:30 in what must be the slowest departure from Portsmouth ever. We crawled off the berth. And are only just approaching the spinnaker tower. Surprisingly The main restaurant is open though embarrassingly I'm the only person in there now but the staff as ever are wonderful two of whom recognise me from the Bretagne.

You're right about Cap Finistere, it's a much under rated ship. Perfect for an out of season trip...

I've booked another day trip for tomorrow, put in a quick call to BF to see if there was any danger of tomorrow's sailing being cancelled and was told that everything back to normal..............

One rather fears if Barfleur was a car first registered in 1992 one would be thinking that the vehicle was a candidate for the car breakers. It's remarkable how much does go progressively wrong on a car of this age until it gets beyond economic repair. Enthusiasts do keep classic and historic vehicles going but they tend to be used only on special occasions. Is it the same with ships? Perhaps it is easier to keep them going as working entities rather than reserved for special occasions, eg shows etc.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I can't imagine those years when she was out of action wasting away on the Cawn canal did her any good. Not good for ships and their machinery to remain idle for so long. Wonder if they are now reaping the consequences of those years.

She has been impeccable since her return, this is only recent and I think it is a coincidence since she had the scrubbers done. She has never been like this, she isn't happy with something obviously. She wasn't laid up that long really, her stints up the river were winter layovers. Normandie Express sits idle for months on end from late autumn to late spring the following year, every year, doesn't seem to do her any harm. If we were talking many years of lay up, that would be different, not sure this is the cause in her case.

I always thought NEX was taken out of the water - but she isn't.

I thought she spent well over a year there around 2010 time. When she was first withdrawn from the Cherbourg route she was laid up for a long time before the Deal Seaways charter.

I think that there's an issue related to her scrubbers being fitted and her current issues wouldn't be surprised if she goes of service for several weeks before the high season to get it looked at and fixed properly.

I don't think the problem is the scrubbers themselves but more to do with the generating sets on board, the may be de-syncronising due to the greater power needed as A, the fuel burns at a lower temperature and B, the catalyst wash system requires power too.

I wouldn't be too surprised if she's still on her 1st generating sets. As Gareth mentioned, being tied to a quay up a canal for a significant length of time and also being up for sale tends to lead to omissions when fellow fleet members are having machinery replaced. BF have probably tried to reconfigure her generators short term due to the pressure of needing her back on station.

Problem is, she wont be going anywhere soon to have the problem solved permanently with both the Arm' and the Pont' out of the water.

I say stop with the make do and mend, spend a week having a more thorough job done, and use the 'Tat on the route until sorted...

She had a LOT done to her when she had those scrubbers, weren't her engines rebuilt, remember photos on here, looked like she had a lot dismantled. I think she gets the easiest life out the fleet, she's got a cushy job so she's hardly overworked.

Edited by Khaines

Currently on Barfleur - we've left the Poole fog behind and now out at sea with great visibility. Yesterday's problem was the generators - there is a trailer with two sets of generators on the outside deck currently in operation ....quite loud actually.

• Like 1

Barf is in Cherbourg - any idea what is wrong with her, same as last?

I wonder if they will take her out of service in the near future, obviously she still has issues that aren't completely sorted, and more than likely she'll carry on doing so. Need to take her out of service for a while. It is now coming towards the end of January, if they can keep her sorted temporarily till, say, April, then bring out NEX early. She could just do Poole-Cherbourg for a month before taking up her normal duties.

Barfleur has an issue with her Generator, I believe they are waiting on another part. I'm sure they will sort it soon.

One thing I noticed yesterday when boarding for the return sailing to Poole, at least one of the generators is working as there was exhaust smoke coming from one of the pipes well before the main engines were fired up.

Two very quiet sailings yesterday - another great day out though.

That's normal - ships have generators running all the time, including when in port. They still need electricity.