Sign in to follow this  
BJSLIV

SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News

The damage to the prop / prop shaft is almost certainly to have been the result of hitting something in the water. It was clearly a sudden event and not anything to do with gradual wear.

How can you be so certain?

Over the past eighteen months,during travels on the Pont, I have been surprised at the amount of stern vibration when travelling at cruising speed. Is this not indicative of wear somewhere?

Progressive wear could lead to a sudden part failure I suppose. But not on a ferry which has just spent 3 months in dry dock undergoing a full overhaul including extensive changes to its propulsion system. It would seem unlikely. Ed

And not by a modern ferry owned by BF, who do tend to look after their ships pretty well. Any wear and tear of this nature would be taken care of pre-emptively well before a failure at sea.

(I nearly added "after all, we are not talking about Condor here" but I thought better of it! :) )

I am also inclined to discount the fishing net theory. If you knew one propeller was fouled up would you take the risk of continuing the crossing in the knowledge that those nets might get sucked into the second at any moment. I think you would stop and request a tow back to port rather than potentially lose all manoeuvrability. I may well be proved wrong on that but look forward to finding out. Ed

Might be an internal issue with the shaft, there is a rod inside that controls the controllable pitch propellers and they do occasionally break. They can only replaced in dry dock. If I was a betting man I'd go for that! They aren't something that can be checked regularly either but when they do break it’s a lot of fuss and bother just getting the things out!

Alas until BF issue a statement or someone talks to a friendly engineer we'll never know.

• Like 1

The weekend Roscoff-Cork-Roscoff rotation is now listed as cancelled on the updates page. Looks like this is not going to be a quick fix, whatever the problem is.

Edit: The 0915 Roscoff-Plymouth sailing on Sunday 15th is still taking bookings at the moment.

Edited by Gareth

Just seen on a Facebook post that she will be out of service for 3 weeks.

how 100% true that is im not sure but if true dont you think BF will have to move another ship onto the Spain route to cover? if so what ship as cant see them not having another ship to spain unless they can get CF out of drydock fast?

Yes, CF is due back in service tomorrow in any case. If the 3 weeks thing is accurate, and if they do arrange to cover some of Pont's sailings, keep an eye on whether they send Armorique to Cork. Remember the discussion from a while back, Cork is the only BF port Armorique has not served. So if Armorique gets to Cork out of this incident then she will become the only BF ferry ever to have served all 11 BF ports.

Right now, PA still scheduled to do Roscoff Plymouth on Sunday 15th, departing 09:15, hopefully this will be her first sailing after prop shaft repair in Brest???

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fe.../timetable#rtn

then scheduled to go Santander in the afternoon:

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fe...nder/timetable

hope all back to normal then... i'm supposed to be on her next Thursday :confused:

Edited by dojidave
more info

Roscoff cork sailing cancelled, that's really an issue what alternatives are there to that that don't involve massive issues for BF customers?

Or gifting customers to a competitor .

Edited by neilcvx

Does Anybody know how one can find out the likely hood of the Pont Aven sailing on Sunday? I have tried ringing the booking department but they do not know either. Only I fly to UK tomorrow and returning by car on Sunday via Pont Aven. Unless I know before i depart tomorrow i could be stranded!! Surely somebody must know by now the severity of the damage to give us passengers a clue, the nearer the sailing date the less time it leaves folk to do alternative arrangements

Roscoff cork sailing cancelled, that's really an issue what alternatives are there to that that don't involve massive issues for BF customers?

Maybe the long term reason for Oscar Wilde to use BF's port during the summer months? She's due to depart Roscoff on Friday & Sunday of this week.

• Like 1

This cancelled Cork crossing would probably have been full too. Back at the end of last year they had a special offer on for an overnight cruise each way plus 5 hours to wander around the city with bus transfers included. If I remember correctly this weekend was the last available date as we have another long weekend in France coming up. I had thought about booking a place but something else cropped up so I let it go. I guess they could not move Armorique onto the run due to lack of capacity compared to PA plus the fact that with the long weekend the Plymouth route would also be in high demand. I guess that Cork is not the priority compared to Spain and even there they are going to have a lot of unhappy (non-)travellers this weekend. Ed

All of this weekends Pont-Aven sailings have now been cancelled, including Sunday's sailings from Roscoff/Plymouth and Plymouth/Santander.

All of this weekends Pont-Aven sailings have now been cancelled, including Sunday's sailings from Roscoff/Plymouth and Plymouth/Santander.

BF's Spanish website is showing both the sailing tomorrow and Sunday as "crucero completo". Can they shuffle the pack and send CF back and maybe bring Etretat back on the Bilbao route in the short term?

Edited by jonno

I suspect that they know pretty well how long the problem will take but are peeling off the sailings one by one to avoid total meltdown in the re-booking dept.

I was on Sunday's sailing from Plymouth to Santander and find myself lucky to be rescheduled on the next sailing on Sunday 22nd (Pont Aven) If they know that there is a major problem, should they still take bookings? I can understand small issues being treated in this way, but a major incident like this, I feel somebody should come clean and paint the whole picture. On this cancellation alone I have lost approx £400 including flights (from Portugal to UK) and hotels.

I think this situation highlights one of the major deficiencies in the BF fleet, one which is normally not considered as such and rather as a positive characteristic when compared to the competition. Namely that they have no two identical ships anywhere which can back each other up when such events occur, by offering exactly the same passenger capacity and accommodation, and allowing a reshuffle of the fleet to prioritise those lines which are full while cutting back or merging services on the less popular routes. Ed.