Sign in to follow this  
BJSLIV

SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News

I looked through the posts before I posted it, if it's already been said then it's been removed.

Been mentioned in 3 different posts.

Must have missed them. Anyway, I need to get my post removed as Brittany Ferries have requested for it not too be published until Monday (which is why it's not on the Sailing Updates yet). They do not have the resources this weekend to deal with the customer calls. Probably far too late now.

I understand their position but it's pretty hard to keep things like that under wraps in a digital age, also they are mentioning the 26th freely on their Twitter feed.

Edited by neilcvx

I understand their position but it's pretty hard to keep things like that under wraps in a digital age, also they are mentioning the 26th freely on their Twitter feed.

Yeah, I noticed that too, I don't understand it.

There have been no official announcements - they are made on the sailing updates page. But you have to be pretty naive not to infer anything official into the removal of sailings from the website timetables.

Plus they (BF presumably) spoke to LE TELEGRAMME news website in France which was linked to on here and it clearly stated last night that PA would be away until the 26th. If it was someone at the shipyard (rather than BF) then too bad, the news got out. In terms of not having the resources to deal with it, they have an entire crew sitting around twidleing their fingers on full salaries and I'm sure some of those 180-odd people are able to answer phones and use the booking system. Given that Brest and Roscoff are a short drive apart, busing a few of them over to head office can't be too complicated. Ed

It looks like you were right about the cause, Timmy. I hope you put a few quid on it at the time.

Sadly Ladbrokes wouldn't let me put a bet on ;) Though the actual fault still isn't clear the translated article from Le Telegramme mentions the propeller hub, if that needs parts manufactured or the whole lot needs replacing then that could be a very expensive job. When Pride of Canterbury had one of hers knocked off I understand they spent quite a lot of time looking for it because of the value.

You say they occasionally break. I assume that there is no fixed life-span for the parts so that's why making checks is difficult. But given the hassle this has caused is there not a given interval for their automatic replacement. Surely the manufacturers provide a warranty for the parts which would be a good guide as to how long they expect them to last, dependant on the amount of use they will receive and the stresses imposed on them etc. The PA is now around 12 years old. Do we know if this part has already been replaced in the past? If so, they would have a good idea of the frequency required and could have replaced the 2 rods (one for each prop) while she was in dry dock in Poland because even if it is an expensive procedure it must be more economic to do so when the vessel is already being stripped down and overhauled than when in regular service with all the compensation costs that entails. Ed

I don't know the expected lifespan of the parts. I know of one ship during it's 30 year life suffered from a broken control rod twice on one shaft but had no problems on the other.

I think on this forum we may over estimate the amount of work that is actually carried out during refit periods. Often the only attention props will get in a two week dry dock is a polish and a function test with the Master and Chief Engineer in the dock bottom watching while the bridge and/or engine room change the pitch settings.

Thanks for the info Timmy. We'll have to wait to see which of those potential causes turns out to be the reason for the problem (or something else entirely). If it's the propeller hub, what scale of impact would be required to damage it sufficiently to require replacement? Gareth has pointed out the PA deviated from its intended track within a couple of hours of leaving Cork. How did the Pride of Canterbury come to lose hers? And one final question: given that each vessel in the fleet is essentially unique, what sort of spare parts to BF keep for each ship in order to reduce the time off service when such a problem occurs? Thanks, Ed

Be easier if ONLY admin posted official BF announcements as has always been the case on here, then things don't get muddled.

As of yet, BF haven't officially announced that Pont-Aven is out of service until May 26th, they only replied to someone's Tweet mentioning that particular date.

Ed - Pride of Canterbury's incident was caused by a collision with an underwater charted wreck by going too far north whilst circling off the Downs awaiting clearance to enter Dover Harbour. Got the MAIB report into that one somewhere...!

As of yet, BF haven't officially announced that Pont-Aven is out of service until May 26th, they only replied to someone's Tweet mentioning that particular date.

They have done more than that Tony. For the third time of posting this particular point....they have removed all of Pont Aven's sailings before 26 May from their online timetables. Those sailings no longer exist. Officially.

It's in black and white in a national newspaper and it's mentioned at least twice on their official Twitter feed that the Pont is "due" to re enter service on the 26th that's an official announcement enough for me whether it's updated on their sailing updates page or mentioned on here is neither here nor there.

Extra, Extra, hot off the press, read all about it: Brittany Ferries vessel out of service until 26th May. You heard it here first!!

This is turning into Pont Aven-gate. Who leaked what, to who and when? I demand an official inquiry, or at the very least a high-level resignation or two. Ed

• Like 1

Extra, Extra, hot off the press, read all about it: Brittany Ferries vessel out of service until 26th May. You heard it here first!!

This is turning into Pont Aven-gate. Who leaked what, to who and when? I demand an official inquiry, or at the very least a high-level resignation or two. Ed

I made that mistake yesterday, the May 26th date was in the press yesterday morning. However, no official statement from Brittany Ferries.

No, the 26th May date has been in the public domain for several days now, at least 24 hours before you posted Tony,, and BF have effectively confirmed it officially through the removal of sailings from their published timetables. I don't know what all this fuss is about trying to make out BF are trying to keep it under wraps.

So as not to pester the staff I was going to leave contacting BF about rescheduling my crossing on PA's 19/5 cancellation until tomorrow, but yesterday afternoon I got a call from a very obliging lady who quickly sorted me out with an amended crossing in June.

At first she stated my newspaper offer would cost more as the amended sailing was out of the offer window, but when I told her it was a BFE offer, she quickly revised that statement and offered me the same deal at the same price... respect to BF, and even more respect to Jim and everyone else at BFE :cool:

• Like 1

Likewise - we are booked to return from Santander on 1st June and just wondering what the arrangements are likely to be at that point.

Well BF are being very clear on Twitter that everything will be back to normal on the 27 May. Whatever the exact problem is (and nobody has had a definitive answer yet) they will presumably do some shakedown tests on her repositioning trip back to Roscoff before leaving for Cork that evening. Assuming nothing untoward happens, your trips in June should be OK. Ed.

My first sailing was for today sailing on the Pont Aven to Santander after flying into Bristol three days prior, I was then re scheduled to the 22nd after moving my flights at a further cost. Thanks to BFEnthusiasts - I was forwarned re this booking for the 22nd, having now being cancelled, and was able to beat the rush before the emails are sent out tomorrow. I have now been given the 29th May with even further added costs to my flight....The kind gentleman at the booking office was not able to guarantee that this sailing would not be cancelled, his only concern was that the awaited repair part for the Pont Aven was coming by road and was causing concern?!! Oh! BOUY!!!!

Oh BUOY indeed as there is a road hauliers strike starting Monday at 10pm which could cause significant delays for road freight. Let's hope whatever they are bringing in gets to Brest before the strike starts. Ed.

Bretagne delayed tonight by around 30-45 minutes, due to a technical problem. listening on the Marine Radio it sounds like an engine issue.

*Update: Now departing at 21:00

Edited by TonyMWeaver
Update Bretagne sailing

Ok, a little thought for BF to ponder. Armorique's weekend schedules currently entail overnight Friday Plymouth-Roscoff, arrive Roscoff Sat morning. Sit in Roscoff until mid-afternoon and then cross to Plymouth late afternoon, overnight on Sat back to Roscoff arriving Sunday morning and then sit in Roscoff again until mid-afternoon.

So, suggestion:

Bring forward the Saturday arrival in Roscoff from Friday night's sailing from Plymouth an hour to 0700. Then sail at 0830 on Saturday morning to Cork. At full speed she should be able to make it into Cork for about 2100, then 2 hour turnaround leaving Cork at 2300. This should be able to arrive in Roscoff by about 1300 on Sunday enabling her to pick up the scheduled 1500 to Plymouth. Even if the arrival slips a bit needing the Roscoff departure to be delayed until 1600, this often happens anyway and she should be able to make Plymouth on schedule.

End result: There is still a Roscoff-Cork sailing getting into Cork on Saturday, albeit a day crossing leaving Roscoff at breakfast time on Saturday. There is still a Saturday departure from Cork getting into Roscoff on Sunday. And Armorique only misses one round trip on Plymouth-Roscoff, which will be easier for BF to manage than a cancelled Cork sailing.