Sign in to follow this  
BJSLIV

SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News

Don't think so - even if Bretagne is still on the berth when Normandie gets in, there is no Etretat in port tonight so can just use the other berth.

No, the sea will take a while to settle down after this lot.

Etretat's sailings both ways today and tomorrow now cancelled - including a mysterious "0830 Portsmouth-Le Havre" tomorrow which as far as I can see was never advertised as existing prior to its cancellation!

Fascinating reading the various posts about Epsilon and Stena Flavia - bet it can't be much fun on Epsilon, and that north Devon/Cornwall coast is very inhospitable. No harbour of refuge if they need one. I think Macc2010's right - wasn't the smartest decision for either of these ships to sail from Cherbourg yesterday.

You're right about north Devon. It may have been wiser to stay in Cherbourg rather than waste the (perhaps) same amount of time going in circles and risking damages to cargo.

According to the Irish Ferries website sailing updates, Epsilon is taking shelter "off the west coast of Wales". Hmmmm. Maybe they are lost! Update says arrival in Dublin is expected at around 10am tomorrow morning.

According to the Irish Ferries website sailing updates, Epsilon is taking shelter "off the west coast of Wales". Hmmmm. Maybe they are lost! Update says arrival in Dublin is expected at around 10am tomorrow morning.

Looks like she sheltered off Westward Ho! Wave heights off Devon & Cornwall yesterday were described as 'phenomenal', over 14m... Not pleasant.

Looks like she sheltered off Westward Ho! Wave heights off Devon & Cornwall yesterday were described as 'phenomenal', over 14m... Not pleasant.

Yep, that was where she went. Not exactly the west coast of Wales....which would have been a wild place in any case!

My other half was on the Normandie on Monday afternoon during the storm and it was very lively, the roughest crossing he had experienced in over 20 years. There were very few passengers and cars on board, not surprisingly. The crossing was very rough and the chairs in the restaurant were moving about and it was hard to keep a plate on the table and eat as there was so much movement. The poor dog was in the car and there was no access to him during the crossing because of the weather, on top of which it took longer because of the conditions, though on arrival he was fast asleep. Disembarkation was very fast, only about 15 minutes from docking so that was good. But the Normandie seemed to manage really well given the awful conditions and indeed the Caen crossing, I think, was the only one operating on Monday.

Adverse weather has affected a number of sailings this weekend to Spain, and changes to the Le Havre schedule. http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

A typical wet and windy bank holiday weekend it is then!

Wishing everyone a Happy Easter! Don't eat too much chocolate! ;)

Looking at Magic Seaweed Biscay looks terrible for Sunday and horrendous for Monday - shame for those whose travel is disrupted but no way would I want to be on Biscay this weekend.

Adverse weather has affected a number of sailings this weekend to Spain, and changes to the Le Havre schedule. http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

Happy Easter to you Andy and all at BFE.

This winter has definately been one of the worst for weather on the channel for many a year.

Let's hope the weather settles down soon.

Yes, Happy Easter to all from me too.

It is just worth clarifying that the changes to the Le Havre schedules are nothing to do with the weather - they were in the schedules since they were published. Not quite sure of the reasoning behind them, but to an extent they make sense as they enable an additional overnight sailing northbound. (At the expense of 3 day sailings, one southbound and two northbound, but clearly the market wants overnight crossings). Why they are making those changes now, going into the summer schedules, I'm not quite sure, but it was always the plan and not a response to weather.

It's a slight change to the Le Havre departure , making a "normal" afternoon exit rather than the timetabled Friday evening departure.

25/03/16 Le Havre to Portsmouth 22h00 (Baie de Seine) - We are sorry to advise that forecasted heavy seas have disrupted our timetables this weekend. This sailing from LE HAVRE on Friday will now leave at the earlier time of 17h15, with latest check-in 16h30. The ship will arrive in PORTSMOUTH at 21h45.

I don't think I have ever seen BF's Sailings Update page with so many cancellations and diversions....pretty disastrous Easter Weekend for BF, none of which is their fault of course....combination of bad weather and Pont Aven's delayed return..........although her sailings would also have fallen foul of the weather this weekend. A bit puzzled about B******r's ( hopefully nobody will get upset if the name is not mentioned in full ) sailings being cancelled on Monday though, forecasted conditions don't seem too bad for Monday.

I don't think I have ever seen BF's Sailings Update page with so many cancellations and diversions....pretty disastrous Easter Weekend for BF, none of which is their fault of course....combination of bad weather and Pont Aven's delayed return..........although her sailings would also have fallen foul of the weather this weekend. A bit puzzled about B******r's ( hopefully nobody will get upset if the name is not mentioned in full ) sailings being cancelled on Monday though, forecasted conditions don't seem too bad for Monday.

I wonder if BF has become (even) more cautious with their weather cancellations since the Espilon incident? You can understand why they would not want to take chances, but let's face it, this is a Spring storm, not the sort of real nasty you get in the depths of Autumn and Winter. The Sailing Updates page makes it look like far more of a big deal than it probably is.

I wonder if BF has become (even) more cautious with their weather cancellations since the Espilon incident? You can understand why they would not want to take chances, but let's face it, this is a Spring storm, not the sort of real nasty you get in the depths of Autumn and Winter. The Sailing Updates page makes it look like far more of a big deal than it probably is.

​It's not to bad in the channel but up to 30foot waves in the middle of Biscay, doesn't explain Barflour being cancelled on Monday.

The worst of the wind currently looks like hitting overnight Sunday to Monday, and may mean conditions in the morning are very uncertain. Sometimes they seem to decide that advance warning is better than last minute cancellation?

Decisions are taken by BF which are determined by a number of factors, some of which to which we don't have access. So trying to second guess what these are is not always very productive and simply speculative in ignorance of all the facts. I'm sure that the company will wish to avoid inconvenience to passengers as much as they possibly can.

On a different theme, I see Bretagne took a route that almost took her via Ouistreham on her way to Cherbourg last night! I also see that CF has popped over to Cherbourg - presumably to deal with the crew change that would have happened today at Roscoff. Slightly surprised therefore that they sent Bretagne over there too, rather than just transferring Bretagne's traffic across to CF. but I guess matching up pre-booked cabin accommodation would have been tricky.