SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around 800 tonnes extra weight as I and others have mentioned previously.

I've no idea what has caused the current delay but as far as I'm aware Pont Aven is still running on marine diesel and the team of Polish engineers will be on board until at least the end of this month. Talking to a crew member from the Cap yesterday there is too much acidic residue in the system causing holes and water leaks so definitely not functioning as planned. On the MSM last Thursday she was emitting smoke from the original funnels, whereas when she first returned to service after having scrubbers fitted it was the new central funnel doing the work, so I can only assume she's currently burning diesel too.

Chris

I can't see the scrubbers causing so much extra weight that it would slow her down, this is the 3rd visit to Portsmouth since getting the scrubbers and has not been delayed before. I was told it is engine or gearbox issues that are causing the problem today but these have been fixed. Pont-Aven is now in Portsmouth and is expected to make the time up en route to Santander.

I never take anything on wiki as gospel anyway, if I wanted details on a ship's specs I would go to the company site. Wouldn't get in too much of a flap about any irregularities on a wiki page, there are millions of them about.

• Like 1

Just had a text message from BF saying:

We are sorry to advise that due to a technical problem the Pont Aven's arrival in to Plymouth has been delayed. We are therefore unable to offer early boarding this evening. Latest check in remains at 20h00.

- Hopefully there still remains plenty of time to enjoy "La Flora"

Well done BF for updating the relevant customers, was going to leave soon, now I can relax a little before the drive down from Gloucester (no mention on Twitter/BF website about PA's issues)

Yes, no doubt a knock-on from the late arrival into Portsmouth on Tuesday. Always thought the suggestion that she might be able to make up 4 hours on passage to Santander was a tad optimistic. Whenever Pont Aven ends up running late to and from Spain, it will always be this Plymouth-Roscoff sailing where she will make up the lost time. No matter how late leaving Plymouth, she will almost always get to Roscoff on time on Friday mornings. (And then enjoy the day off!)

Oh-oh. Warning bells sounding. Following on from 4 hour delay into Portsmouth on Tuesday, late departure from Plymouth on Thursday, and now this, all due to "technical problems", whilst reports of workmen on deck working on the scrubber installation. The vibes are not good....how reliable is Pont Aven going to be this summer? Time will tell, but first impressions are that these scrubbers are causing more problems than they solved on quite a few of the fleet.

She normally has to go at pretty much full pelt to get across between Cork and Roscoff in the 13 hours scheduled for the crossing. So yes, 14-15 knots would definitely be below par. I see the Santander-Portsmouth sailing on Monday is no longer listed as cancelled, so looks like they are expecting to be able to get her back into service in time for that.

She normally has to go at pretty much full pelt to get across between Cork and Roscoff in the 13 hours scheduled for the crossing. So yes, 14-15 knots would definitely be below par. I see the Santander-Portsmouth sailing on Monday is no longer listed as cancelled, so looks like they are expecting to be able to get her back into service in time for that.

Perhaps they will run her down to Spain empty from Brest and use the crossing to fix the problem or ask the yard engineers down there to work on her. Ed

• Andy changed the title to SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News