News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News

She normally has to go at pretty much full pelt to get across between Cork and Roscoff in the 13 hours scheduled for the crossing. So yes, 14-15 knots would definitely be below par. I see the Santander-Portsmouth sailing on Monday is no longer listed as cancelled, so looks like they are expecting to be able to get her back into service in time for that.

Mondays sailing is still showing as cancelled.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On www.brest.maville.com they state that one of the propeller is out of action. Pont Aven is to stay in Brest for a few days according to the article.

According to an updated article yesterday afternoon, they are waiting for spare parts for the propeller to arrive. PA is likely to remain in Brest until Thursday. Ed.

Still alongside at the roro berth so clearly in no hurry to get her into the drydock. No point until new prop available (or whatever parts are needed) but yes it's clearly going to be more than a day or two before she is back in service.

All sailings cancelled now until at least Friday. As I was on the Thursday night crossing, need to decide whether to cancel or transfer my daytrip booking.

I know it appears to be unrelated to scrubbers. However there is a lot of extra weight over the stern and the ballast has been accordingly adjusted so she rides lower in the water throughout. The structure was never designed for these kinds of changes and it is essentially uncharted/untested territory to make these kinds of large modifications. Is it possible that the prop-shaft issues could be a side-affect of the new dynamics? Incidentally - where did the fishing net idea come from?

I know it appears to be unrelated to scrubbers. However there is a lot of extra weight over the stern and the ballast has been accordingly adjusted so she rides lower in the water throughout. The structure was never designed for these kinds of changes and it is essentially uncharted/untested territory to make these kinds of large modifications. Is it possible that the prop-shaft issues could be a side-affect of the new dynamics? Incidentally - where did the fishing net idea come from?

The damage to the prop / prop shaft is almost certainly to have been the result of hitting something in the water. It was clearly a sudden event and not anything to do with gradual wear.

Looks like The sailing from Roscoff to Cork on Friday and back again has also been cancelled as these sailings are no longer on the Timetable page but nothing about them on the sailing page yet.

Edited by Macc2010

The damage to the prop / prop shaft is almost certainly to have been the result of hitting something in the water. It was clearly a sudden event and not anything to do with gradual wear.

Your screengrab yesterday suggested they deviated from the normal track relatively soon after leaving Cork. If they had been very worried about the ability of the ship to get back to France they would have gone back into port. So I wonder what was floating around in the local waters which could have caused the problem. Someone suggested fishing nets which would be logical but would they really cause that much damage? Could divers not just remove any tangled material? Is a collision with a semi submerged container, or a whale, perhaps more likely? This weekend also saw a very high tidal range in Northern France and I assume it was the same all around the eastern Atlantic seaboard. Did PA take her normal route out from Cork and if not could she have made contact with a rock outcrop as a combination of sitting lower in the water and the tide being very low? A lot of questions, I know, but I would be interested to know the cause as I guess many would be. Ed

I am sure that if there had been any concerns about the safety of the ship they would have turned back to Cork, Ed. In the circumstances what they needed was somewhere they could get the ship to where she could be looked at and repaired, and if that landed the passengers somewhere near where they were intending to go then even better. Brest fitted the bill perfectly, so a bit of no-brainer to make for there.

An interesting side issue is that it seems to be easy for BF to divert ships to Brest when they need to, which means that they must have access to customs and immigration personnel in Brest. I wonder where they come from....or maybe they are drafted down from Roscoff on those occasions. But it can't be that simple because Armorique was arriving at Roscoff from Plymouth at the same time as Pont Aven was getting into Brest and the Roscoff personnel would have been needed in Roscoff. So does Brest have its own customs and immigration staff?

Looks like The sailing from Roscoff to Cork on Friday and back again has also been cancelled as these sailings are no longer on the Timetable page but nothing about them on the sailing page yet.

Good spot Macc. I suspect this is a precautionary not taking any more bookings in case the sailings have to be cancelled so they minimise the number of customers they will have to re-route if it becomes necessary. Pre-emptive damage limitation just in case it comes to it, but the sailing itself not yet cancelled for those pre-booked. That's my guess.

I think they divert to Brest due to its relatively easy access in case of manoeuvring problems, with tugs available if needed. As a major port with military installations nearby I guess there are always customs officers available (to check yachts as well as commercial shipping) and the normal police can probably handle the immigration procedures. I have seen such officers on duty at Cherbourg early in the morning at times.

I suggested the whale option as a cause of the damage as there seem to be a lot of them around and beached just recently. One was found dead just off Brest yesterday in fact. I'm not suggesting they dragged it all the way across but if the price of sushi suddenly plummets in Finistere we'll know why. Ed.

When Barfleur clipped the chain ferry chains when leaving Poole, she carried on to Cherbourg where divers examined her hull. People said then why did she not return to port and carried on out to sea. Remember quite a kerfuffle about that, but she was ok.

• Andy changed the title to SAILING UPDATES: 2016 Latest News