Wightlink Service Between Southampton and Portsmouth?

Yes, a conventional ship couldn't do it in 45 minutes. Would it run from the ferryport or the station at Portsmouth? Station would make sense with its connection to the bus station.

Something like a Wight Ryder could do the job I would think - with reliable engines! The route would usually be in sheltered water so it could have its attractions.

Yes, a conventional ship would take at least 90 minutes to make this passage - for two reasons, one the slower speed and the other the longer and more convoluted route. A ship would have to go all the way out of the Portsmouth approach channel to the forts, then up the Solent all the way around the Bramble Bank and into the Thorn Channel before entering Southampton Water. A fast ferry could take two shortcuts - the Swashway from just outside Portsmouth harbour directly across towards Fishbourne (like the ferries), and then up through the shallow North Channel to the east of the Bramble Bank taking it more or less on a straight line directly into Southampton Water.

Being a footie who has had to get the train from Southampton - Portsmouth it is an hour's journey. The train station isn't exactly close to the terminal, so that would add on another bus or taxi. So not sure if this would be any quicker. More pleasant to ferry it though!!

Is this in the world of fantasy? I'm struggling to think of anywhere in the world where there is a direct road and rail service already in place and then a boat service comes along which has no distance saving advantage and gains market share. Maybe some of the ferries round Sydney Harbour come close to this??

Yes, a conventional ship would take at least 90 minutes to make this passage - for two reasons, one the slower speed and the other the longer and more convoluted route. A ship would have to go all the way out of the Portsmouth approach channel to the forts, then up the Solent all the way around the Bramble Bank and into the Thorn Channel before entering Southampton Water. A fast ferry could take two shortcuts - the Swashway from just outside Portsmouth harbour directly across towards Fishbourne (like the ferries), and then up through the shallow North Channel to the east of the Bramble Bank taking it more or less on a straight line directly into Southampton Water.

Actually a ferry could use the North Channel all the time, with their draft of about 2.5 there would be plenty of water and other than low water Portsmouth, could go across the Swashway.

I would like to know where there getting the boats from to run the service ?, perhaps Wightlink are going to shut Lym-Yar and use the W's !!

No chance of such a service! No one would use it! Geography is against it. There just about could be something in it if it was a straight run up/down Southampton Water but it isn't. Ever been across Cowes Roads in rough weather in a pax ferry? I have and would do it only if there was no alternative. But Ports-Soton enjoys good transport links with the railway, M27 motorway, A27, so there are plenty of alternatives with the usual facilities along the corridor for car users. The only thing that would work would be the odd special excursion but for regular travellers who know the area well -- no way!

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I agree it is almost certainly a non starter, if only because most people dislike travelling by water but the actual distance is about the same city centre to city centre and a fast ferry might well beat a road user on average speed. No need to go anywhere near Cowes Roads though, just hug the coast all the way round like the yachts do. Of course Red Funnel cross Cowes Roads all the time and they seem to manage OK.

A seasonal service from Poole would be a good idea using an HSC. Not sure how long it would take but could leave the island early morning to get to Poole to arrive at around 10.am. Turn round and go back to the island and take daytrippers to the island for a good few hours, then return to Poole to pick up trippers there.

Can't see it working out at all. The only place I can think of where there is a ferry along the coast (not connected to islands) that seems to be successful is around the Bay of Naples from Naples, Sorrento and to the towns on the Amalfi coast where there are quite a few routes, especially in summer. I can see how it works there given the standard of the railway and roads (and the standard of driving) as well as the scenery. The same is certainly not true of the surface between Portsmouth and Southampton (nor the scenery). I can't see how such a service could pay unless traffic conditions become much worse except perhaps if there is a prolonged rail strike across all the train companies that operate on this route (there are at least 3 only 1 of which currently has a strike).