Gareth

BF Refits 2017

I thought this was a BF refit topic.....

I daresay this is what this thread is all about but the Stena ferry is mentioned here. So what is to be done? Start another thread? The point is Stena Nordica is not a Cherbourg regular. So what is she doing there? Maybe as with BF substituting for the usual ship which is away on annual refit. If something else then quite possibly a new thread is called for.

Funnily enough I was walking our 2 dogs just by the war memorial on Wednesday morning (she was 30 mins late leaving) and I thought exactly the same - but that's what a full season on the Bay of Biscay does to a ship....

I've got to say Normandie looks sparkling on the outside; will be on her in ten days time so if there aren't any reports about the interior by then I'll take the camera with me.

Chris

I daresay this is what this thread is all about but the Stena ferry is mentioned here. So what is to be done? Start another thread? The point is Stena Nordica is not a Cherbourg regular. So what is she doing there? Maybe as with BF substituting for the usual ship which is away on annual refit. If something else then quite possibly a new thread is called for.

Yes HT she is. Horizon has replaced Lagan and then Mersey at Liverpool until the 16th.

Bretagne re-enters service from St Malo tomorrow evening to take back over from Pont Aven as the full-time ship. Pont Aven resumes sailings to Santander tomorrow morning. Her schedules for this final phase of the winter refit programme are to provide 2 weekly sailings from Portsmouth to Spain during CF's absence, plus weekend (Sun/Mon) support for Bretagne to St Malo.

Not strictly related to refit season, but I understand that a new feature for one of the existing vessels is likely to be announced in the next few days that will be added whilst it is in service.

Are we allowed to speculate what it might be and which vessel it concerns? Ed.

If it's being installed whilst in service, I can only presume it's a rope hanging off the back for wakeboarding :P

You'd think it must be one of the ships that has not been off-service this year - otherwise surely they'd have fitted it (whatever it is) whilst off-service (?).

Which would mean, probably, one of Pont Aven, Armorique or MSM. (Or Etretat but I can't imagine they would use her for first installation of a new feature?).

Is Barfleur finally getting a swimming pool?

I believe Barfleur is getting a new feature and it's something, IMHO, she should have had installed a while ago!

This shocks me - https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/831795419608932352/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

So just adding new paint gives the entire vessel around a 5% performance boost? That is increadible. Surely all ship owners round the world would be doing this as soon as possible!?

It's pretty common that merely sanding down and applying a new coat paint improves speed while the new antifoul is still smooth, clean and fresh. Must happen every time any ship comes out of drydock with a new coat of paint. Hardly news-worthy therefore, and the effect wears off as the surface deteriorates through the year. Maybe with this new paint the "wearing off" effect will be slower as the surface stays clean and smooth for longer?

Is Armorique having an a la carte?

Good shout Jonno. That would be fabulous news if that's what it is. But could they install something that major whilst the vessel was in service, and in any case why would they want to if the business model for her current catering arrangements work so well?

Then again, it must be a feature needed by one particular ship that Jim is talking about, rather than something generic that could be rolled out to any ship. And a restaurant for Armorique would be a good contender for something in that category.

Then again, it must be a feature needed by one particular ship that Jim is talking about, rather than something generic that could be rolled out to any ship.

It could be rolled out to all the other ships if they have the available space or space reallocated for the purpose, it was mooted for two other ships in the past (late 00's) but came to nothing.

It could be rolled out to all the other ships if they have the available space or space reallocated for the purpose, it was mooted for two other ships in the past (late 00's) but came to nothing.

Where I was coming from was that if this is something that could be rolled out to any ship, then surely the ship they'd have chosen first would have been one that is being refitted this winter. The fact that it is going onto a ship while it is still in service implies it must be for a ship that has not had a refit and that it is that ship that needs it.

The fact that it is going onto a ship while it is still in service implies it must be for a ship that has not had a refit and that it is that ship that needs it.

Or that a decision had not been made when the vessel was out of service or that the design was not ready? But we'll all get to find out soon.