Gareth

BF Refits 2017

It's going to be a pretty small area. From what I can recall it's not a very large space and there didn't seem to be any windows but they may have been walled off for the games zone. I guess they felt they needed to do something to bring her up to standard and justify the price they charge. Ed.

I think they are going to turn Pont Aven's funnel into a rock-climbing wall and then install a death-slide for people to get back down. Ed.

Best idea of the year so far!

I've been told that it's going to replace the gaming area.

Correct which itself is the former a la carte restaurant. Games Planet is moving to the old Kiosk.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/cruise-ferries/barfleur/accommodation/reserved-club-class-seat

I think this is an excellent idea and a better attempt at a premium seating area than the Club seating area on Normandie Express.

'Tis indeed Club Seating on the Barfleur - it's nice to see something new being tried out, and will provide a welcome space on busier sailings. It'll be interesting to see the capacity of the area and if it's replicated on other ships... PA for example has a similar setup with the Commodore Lounge but only accessible to those staying in the cabins. Bretagne has/had a Commodore Lounge too but seem to recall it was very rarely used.

According to the booking engine, a Club seat costs £18... interesting that one of the features advertised is WiFi, which is free to all passengers anyway. The papers and hot drinks are a welcome touch, caffeine fiends should remember though - the red Nespresso capsules are the decaf ones. ;)

• Like 1

One of the issues with Bretagne's Commodore Lounge is that it is hard to find and isn't called the Commodore Lounge on board. Can't remember what it is called, something like the Private Room (?) or something, and it's tucked away in a a corner somewhere. We have used it a couple of times but never seen anyone else in there and never stayed long.

When she is in service according to Jim, so the windows of opportunity are limited! 😀

With more than 4 hours layover in Cherbourg most days they should have more than enough time to stick a bit of plywood to the walls and bolt some chairs to the floor. Add in 20 minutes to set up the Nespresso machine, 2 weeks for the capsules to be delivered, a couple of months for people to notice it exists on the booking engine and a decade for the WIFI to be up to a reasonable speed and it should all be ready just before she is sent of to the scrapyard. Ed

• Like 1

She overnights in Poole so possibly work could be done then as well, she has from, say from arrival in Poole at night till people start boarding in the morning. During her overnight crossings she sits in Cherbourg till 10.30 at night, so her overnight days are the best.

Why wait to do it in port? Apart from stocks/equipment/workforce being brought on board it will be done throughout the crossing? Crikey even the QE2 continued to have ceilings and floors ripped up with massive leakings as she crossed the Atlantic after her disastrous refit back in the 80's I think? Much to the annoyance of her guests and the press, but then that was a massive amount of works from an unfinished project and really should not have set sail.. Work at sea is all part of 'ship life' is it not? I had a cabin behind the carpenter's workshop on the QM2 and they were constantly busy repairing and building new odds and sods for the ship!

Official Press Release:

Barfleur Club Lounge to launch on Poole to Cherbourg ferry service this summer

Brittany Ferries will launch a new, exclusive lounge on Barfleur, its cruise-ferry operating from Poole to Cherbourg this summer. It will open from 1 July 2017, and customers can book a reclining seat now for £18 during the daytime and £25 for overnight sailings.

The new 20-seat Barfleur Club Lounge promises a more premium travel experience. Accessed by boarding card, it will include USB charging points, newspapers, complimentary tea, coffee and cold drinks, as well as a sleep kit for overnight crossings.

The company says the Barfleur Club Lounge is further evidence of ongoing investment in its fleet and route network.

“We’re excited to launch this premium service on crossings between Poole and Cherbourg in response to demand from our passengers,” said Gareth Bewley, customer services manager. “They will soon be able to relax in a luxurious, reclining seat within an exclusive lounge and enjoy complimentary services throughout the sailing. Wi-fi, nespresso coffee and newspapers are just some of the things that will come as standard for travellers.”

Aside from high-speed services operating from Portsmouth, the Poole to Cherbourg ferry route is the fastest way to get from the UK to France on the western Channel. Barfleur, which celebrates its 25th year of operation in 2017, sails within Napoleon’s majestic harbour walls just over four hours after leaving Poole.

I think it's an excellent idea and shows that BF are trying to think out of the box in what is still an uncertain market, and proves to me that Barfleur should be around for many years to come. It's not cheap though and I agree with crechbleiz, as a couple I would rather pay £31 for a really relaxed 4 berth outside day cabin than £36 for 2 Club seats.

The work is bound to be carried out whether at sea or in port without affecting the customer experience in any way. I would imagine the exclusive wifi will be considerably faster than throughout the rest of the ship, but that's not difficult. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a 5 star cabin on Oscar Wilde last year where the dedicated connection was actually half decent, compared to snails pace for travelling Joe Public.....

Chris

With the crowd on this one £31 for a outside cabin is far more relaxing able to get my head down for a nap after getting up at silly o/clock to get to the ferry. Nice and relaxed for the drive through France

• Like 1

Great money spinner almost money for old rope , not much investment for a decent return personally I don't see why like Stena,P&O and so many other ferry operators they didn't do it years ago.

Great money spinner almost money for old rope , not much investment for a decent return personally I don't see why like Stena,P&O and so many other ferry operators they didn't do it years ago.

Seems to be a big trend in the hospitality space at the moment. Add a nespresso machine and charge an extra £20. I believe Travelodge now do the same thing.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

Seems to be a big trend in the hospitality space at the moment. Add a nespresso machine and change an extra £20. I believe Travelodge now do the same thing.

You're not comparing Barfleur with a Travelodge are you?! Don't know what the Poole brigade will make of that! :)

And what does that make Etretat? ;)

Back to Pont Aven's return to the Santander route. She has just got back to Portsmouth at the end of her first round trip. (Nice little rest tonight before heading back to Spain tomorrow).

What is of note is that in both directions on the round trip just completed, she routed outside Ushant. Anyone know why?

How noisy are Nespresso machines? I wouldn't want to be given a seat too near if there is a constant stream of people walking past followed by discussions as to which option to choose (with the appropriate - no longer amusing - celebrity impersonation) and then have to listen to the machine coughing and spitting. Plus what option is there for us who don't drink coffee? Is there going to be a minibar and a kettle or will we have to go out to the bar and show our passes to get the drinks?

If Barfleur is the nautical equivalent of Travelodge then Etretat must be somewhere between a French Formule 1hotel and a cardboard box under a bridge. And having 'experienced' the former, I think I'd rather take my chances with the latter next time. Although, having said that, I did travel on Etretat when she was with LD Lines and found her perfectly acceptable for the price but I'm not sure I'd be as charitable if I took her now given the considerable price difference. Ed.