They must have meant a cruise ferry, yes, given the photo used to illustrate the event. Plus the 22 Sept was a Thursday and PA would have been in dock (if my memory of her summer timetable is correct) before leaving for Roscoff at around 8pm.

In addition, they do say they plan to run other visits in the future, so if you really are keen then I suggest you register your interest with them now and perhaps they can put you on their mailing list. Ed.

Edited by Cabin-boy

So it looks like this event was not something that was "offered" by BF and was not open to the general public. It was organised by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers for its members. In that respect it was a private experience. And, as Ed has said, it was scheduled for when PA was alongside in Plymouth, two Thursdays in succession, so engines not running. I guess the H&S issues surrounding that scenario are rather different from being on a ship under power at sea.

No similar events are listed in the IMECHE schedule of upcoming events.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember a few years ago Waverley was, or so I read somewhere, was the subject of elf and safety meddling. It seems elf and safety bods wanted her engine room boxed in and away from public access. Which for her would be very damaging financially because she is the only sea going paddler in the world and the only way to experience that massive engine in operation is to take a trip on her. Her engine is her centrepiece and main attraction, so blocking it off would be really bad news. Luckily this never happened!!