New paid article on the guardian website today (although doesn't appear to be prominent anywhere) - https://www.theguardian.com/brittany-ferries-summer-holidays/2017/jan/16/eight-reasons-to-choose-a-ferry-instead-of-a-flight?CMP=twt_gu

It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure if many people would have found it, not to mention the fact that an article on the worlds most beautiful airports appeared on the same day. Perhaps it could be a good way of reaching out to a different market. I'd imagine the guardian hits a different demographic to existing customers (and perhaps ones with a new found desire to visit the continent ;))

• Like 1

"After showing Brittany Ferries boarding staff the tickets and passports – which doesn’t usually involve getting out of your car – simply drive on board."

I don't think this is exactly a fair representation of the boarding process by any means. Last summer, we were held in the security shed at Portsmouth for around 15-20 minutes and were not allowed to leave until the cars in front of us had been checked, despite the fact that we had been cleared. At the time, we had no idea how long we were likely to be held there. On another trip last year, we had a long wait in the pre-boarding lanes while freight was loaded on, and in Le Havre we had to get out of the car for a French police security check - France is in a state of emergency, after all. It sounds as though BF are not aware of the actual boarding process as experienced by their customers these days. "Simply drive on board" - really?

We've been directed into the security shed a number of times at Portsmouth (we must look very dodgy) but it's never taken more than about five minutes. Treat it all with good humour and it is very quick. Compared with the miserable sods at airports the security guys are a joy and delight. But get stroppy and I have no doubt they would get the full tool kit and the rubber gloves out.