Sign in to follow this  
ac_freeman

For non-regular readers of Ships Monthly - Barfleur feature in next month's edition

March edition of Ships Monthly ( yes, really ) arrived in the post today - just to let any of you, who may not read this edition, know that there is a full page spread which mentions that next month will carry a feature celebrating Barfleur's 25th anniversary.....Barfleur fans may want to get hold of a copy when it comes out.

I just had to re-read the thread again, just popped into Smith's as normal and went to the shipping magazine section and thumbed through the March issue - no Barfleur, re-reading the post it is in NEXT month's issue.... I don't buy the magazine every time now, I will thumb through briefly and if anything interesting I will buy. I don't stand there reading from cover to cover like some do, but these magazines you don't get much change from a fiver, so it is costly every month. I only buy in special circumstances.

I just had to re-read the thread again, just popped into Smith's as normal and went to the shipping magazine section and thumbed through the March issue - no Barfleur, re-reading the post it is in NEXT month's issue.... I don't buy the magazine every time now, I will thumb through briefly and if anything interesting I will buy. I don't stand there reading from cover to cover like some do, but these magazines you don't get much change from a fiver, so it is costly every month. I only buy in special circumstances.

Yes, sorry - having re-read my post I can see where there may have been confusion.....the full page spread in March is to announce what will appear in next month's edition, if you had thumbed through right the way to the last page you would have seen the spread that I mentioned, probably to the disgust of the shop owner though :)........I saw recently that a bookshop owner somewhere in Yorkshire charges customers 50p to browse........

Yes, sorry - having re-read my post I can see where there may have been confusion.....the full page spread in March is to announce what will appear in next month's edition, if you had thumbed through right the way to the last page you would have seen the spread that I mentioned, probably to the disgust of the shop owner though :)........I saw recently that a bookshop owner somewhere in Yorkshire charges customers 50p to browse........

I seen it now...😄

Had a second thumb through, Smith's not started charging yet....😉

Thanks for the heads up. Used to be a regular reader, but the price has gone up so much in recent years.

Indeed it did Andy but this month's edition is £4.30. However, the size of the magazine has shrunk!

Price up, quality down. Over the years there has been pretty much an inverse relation beteeen the two. Used to be a great read back in the early 80s when it used to cost something around 70 or 80p! Back in the days when they used to get their facts right and did their research properly. Before it became all about pictures.

Some of those visits might well have been for winter layovers or during the periods when she was chartered out to other companies and for when she needed converting to fit the berths in Dover and Calais. I doubt she has carried paying BF pssengers to each of the ports mentionned. Ed

There is a picture of her as Deal Seaways in the issue, quite a large one, I know many people don't like to look at her as DS, so be warned! I know quite a few people don't like looking at photos of her during that time. I don't mind - had fond memories of seeing her in Dover, glad we got her back though that is the main thing. I would like to go to Calais again, but a bit too iffy there at the moment. Calais was a lot better than it is painted once in the town centre - I found it no diifferent to any other large town.

The article mentions that she's visited every bf port bar Bilbao...is this really the case?

Yes. Apart from regular visits to Poole, Cherbourg, Portsmouth and Caen, she has also done Poole&Plymouth/Roscoff and Poole&Portsmouth/Santander plus one visit to Cork from Cherbourg (on charter to an Irish haulier) - all of these have been commercial crossings. She has visited Le Havre for lay-up. The reason she visited St Malo escapes me right now, but I'm certain she did. That just leaves Bilbao.

The article mentions that she's visited every bf port bar Bilbao...is this really the case?

I think this is nonsense. The only BF routes I believe she has served on (other than her home route) are Portsmouth-Caen and Plymouth-Roscoff. She also had Portsmouth-Cherbourg in her schedules for a year or two. But she has never (as far as I am aware) served Le Havre, St Malo, Cork, Santander or Bilbao.

As Ed says, she might have been to Le Havre for lay-up, and she went to Santander for her scrubbers. But that's hardly what the article meant.

Contrast that with Armorique, which has served every BF port commercially apart from Cork.

I think this is nonsense. The only BF routes I believe she has served on (other than her home route) are Portsmouth-Caen and Plymouth-Roscoff. She also had Portsmouth-Cherbourg in her schedules for a year or two. But she has never (as far as I am aware) served Le Havre, St Malo, Cork, Santander or Bilbao.

As Ed says, she might have been to Le Havre for lay-up, and she went to Santander for her scrubbers. But that's hardly what the article meant.

Contrast that with Armorique, which has served every BF port commercially apart from Cork.

Please read my comments in post #16 - I wrote the article and my facts are solid.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

I believe Barfleur used to do a 28 hour weekend trip to Santander during the winters of about 1997/1998.

Now I know why my parents never took us to Spain for holidays as kids. My mum used to spend the entire crossing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg on the outer decks (around 5 hours) to get some fresh air while the rest of us were stuffing our faces with chips in the restaurant. We then took her a ham and cheese sandwich to eat just as we approached the outer breakwater and the movement had stopped. A trip to Spain would have required pitching our tent out on deck for the night and I think someone would have noticed. Ed.

I do have some recollection of these but have a feeling they might have been freight only. They ran from Poole I think (?) and BF has never run a passenger service from Poole to Spain.

Barfleur also ran a one-off commercial sailing from Portsmouth down to Santander when she went for her scrubbers, but again freight only. Don't think BF would carry passengers in her across Biscay.

Edited by Gareth

I do have some recollection of these but have a feeling they might have been freight only. They ran from Poole I think (?) and BF has never run a passenger service from Poole to Spain.

Barfleur also ran a one-off commercial sailing from Portsmouth down to Santander when she went for her scrubbers, but again freight only. Don't think BF would carry passengers in her across Biscay.

​Barfleur ran as winter Spanish ship from Poole to Santander in 1997/98, with passenger capacity limited to 200 due to available berths. If I recall correctly she sailed from Poole on a Friday night and arrived back Monday afternoon.

I definitely recall Barfleur doing a run to Santander at weekends sometime ago now!!!

At the risk of going off topic there does seem to be a tendency to underestimate Poole.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion
Completing message.

I have just returned from a trip on Bretagne and she is as great as ever. Does anyone know why the mid section on deck 8 (La Gerbe De Locrovan Cafe and reclining seat areas) , looks so different from the rest of the ship, more modern and open plan. Was it subject to a big modernisation at some point and if so what was there before.

Edited by robbie

How long did a crossing take her to Spain back then? After watching her and the Pont in tandem going to Santander and she lagging miles behind, took her ages. She had the restaurant in those days as well.