Sign in to follow this  
ac_freeman

For non-regular readers of Ships Monthly - Barfleur feature in next month's edition

I have just returned from a trip on Bretagne and she is as great as ever. Does anyone know why the mid section on deck 8 (La Gerbe De Locrovan Cafe and reclining seat areas) , looks so different from the rest of the ship, more modern and open plan. Was it subject to a big modernisation at some point and if so what was there before.

Yes, it was very elegant before with fluted illuminated columns and a really nice place to relax. And then they ruined it! See below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n270067[/ATTACH]

Yes, it was very elegant before with fluted illuminated columns and a really nice place to relax. And then they ruined it! See below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n270067[/ATTACH]

Wow that looks so much nicer. They really did ruin it. Thanks for sharing that!

Here's a couple more photos - I have never forgiven BF! It was a great place to get a drink from the adjacent bar and sit and have a quiet read or chat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n270077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n270078[/ATTACH]

Here's a couple more photos - I have never forgiven BF! It was a great place to get a drink from the adjacent bar and sit and have a quiet read or chat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n270077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n270078[/ATTACH]

Thanks for sharing these. It's cetainly a big change!

How long did a crossing take her to Spain back then? After watching her and the Pont in tandem going to Santander and she lagging miles behind, took her ages. She had the restaurant in those days as well.

I seem to remember the Portsmouth trip "in tandem" with Pont Aven took at least 6 hours longer than Pont Aven, so must have been a good 30 hours, maybe more. She didn't have the restaurant for that trip (it was only about 16 months ago). The earlier trips from Poole, I'm guessing must have taken at least as long as Cotentin used to take, possibly more as Cotentin probably has a faster hull. (Barfleur may also have had to take a more inshore route, like Normandie did recently, rather than the straight line route between Santander and Ushant). Racking my brains, I have a feeling Cotentin used to take about 26 hours (or was it 28?). On that basis I think Barfleur must have done it in somewhere between 28 and 30 hours.

Barfleur's scheduled Poole-Santander crossing time was 28 hours departing Poole on Fridays at 1830 though I've seen mention of a 2345 departure as well returning on Sundays at 1200.