Andy

SAILING UPDATES: 2017 Latest News

Today's Barfleur Poole/Cherbourg/Poole sailing has now also been cancelled due to adverse weather. 

12 hours ago, Andy said:

Sundays 1715 Baie de Seine Bilbao/Portsmouth sailing has been postponed until 2200 (departing from Santander) on Monday due to bad weather. 

As a result Tuesday's 1045 Portsmouth/Le Havre and 2200 Le Havre/Portsmouth sailings have also been cancelled. 

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

No doubt I'll get a call from BF in the morning to rearrange my travel plans :/ 

Without the weekly crew change at Le Havre, this delayed sailing from Santander must almost certainly be routed to call at Roscoff on the way to Portsmouth I'd have thought.  (And a 2200 departure implies 2 nights aboard in any case, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see BDS put into Roscoff some time late Tuesday afternoon).  Arrival in Portsmouth is presumably scheduled for 0600 on Wednesday (?)

Edited by Gareth

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Without the weekly crew change at Le Havre, this delayed sailing from Santander must almost certainly be routed to call at Roscoff on the way to Portsmouth I'd have thought.  (And a 2200 departure implies 2 nights aboard in any case, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see BDS put into Roscoff some time late Tuesday afternoon).  Arrival in Portsmouth is presumably scheduled for 0600 on Wednesday (?)

I don't think BDS has ever called into Roscoff before (though I'm not 100% certain of this). Previous missed crew changes have involved calling into Cherbourg. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't think BDS has ever called into Roscoff before (though I'm not 100% certain of this). Previous missed crew changes have involved calling into Cherbourg. 

True - and Cherbourg is a lot closer to Le Havre than Roscoff.  But if it is Cherbourg then I reckon the timings would get her there late evening.  Not the most sociable time for a crew change but then again, if the alternative is the long drive to Roscoff then I agree, the stop-off could be at Cherbourg instead.

Maybe a crew-change would be easier in the late evening once the dinner service is over and people are heading back to their cabins for bed. Switching mid-afternoon would be a real pain for the catering team. Ed

According to AIS she is heading directly to Portsmouth.  Which is a bit odd - unless the crew change has already happened in Santander, which would be very unusual.

The move across to Santander was also a bit strange - anyone know why they did that, rather than just running delayed from Bilbao?

How far in advance did they know there was going to be the problem? And would they have had time to get the reserve crew on to PA in Plymouth on Sunday to meet up with BDS in Spain if she switched ports?  Ed. 

The Pont isn't currently operating from Plymouth.Potentially the move to Santander was due to Staff/Docker/Pilot availability or willingness to work the short notice evening.

Yes I see. She hasn't started her summer schedule yet. Maybe from Portsmouth on Friday then but the timings are probably not right. Ed. 

23 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes I see. She hasn't started her summer schedule yet. Maybe from Portsmouth on Friday then but the timings are probably not right. Ed. 

The BDS leaves on Saturday, so the crew would be there before the ship.  I think more the question is why go from Bilbao to Santander?

I can only imagine that she must have had this week's crew change today at Portsmouth.  We've established that Santander was logistically impossible, and it is inconceivable that the crew change would be cancelled.  So the crew must have travelled to Portsmouth from Caen or Le Havre.

40 minutes ago, Shefford said:

Port now re-opened and PA will be sailing in 15 minutes. 

Thanks for the updates. Hope you have a good crossing to St Malo! :)

Baie Seine

Due to essential maintenance work on the Baie de Seine, the following sailings have been affected. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Portsmouth to Bilbao Tuesday 11 April 08:45 - This sailing will now depart on Monday 10 April 23:59. Latest check-in 23:15. Arrival into Bilbao will be on Wednesday 08:00. If this sailing is not suitable please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Bilbao to Portsmouth Wednesday 12 April 17:15 - This sailing will be delayed. Boarding will now commence at 20:00 and the ship doors will close at 22:00. The ship is expected to sail at 02:00 on Thursday 13 April. Arrival into Portsmouth will be on Friday 06:00.

Portsmouth to Bilbao Tuesday 18 April 08:45 - This sailing will now depart on Monday 17 April 23:59. Latest check-in 23:15. Arrival into Bilbao will be on Wednesday 08:00. If this sailing is not suitable please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Bilbao to Portsmouth Wednesday 19 April 17:15 - This sailing will be delayed. Boarding will now commence at 20:00 and the ship doors will close at 22:00. The ship is expected to sail at 02:00 on Thursday 20 April. Arrival into Portsmouth will be on Friday 06:00.

Portsmouth to Le Havre Thursday 13 April 23:00 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. Please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Portsmouth to Le Havre Thursday 20 April 23:00 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. Please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

(Note that there is a replacement sailing from Portsmouth/Le Havre at 08:00 on the 14th and 21st April.)

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

Ouch -  Was looking at the 14th April crossing to Le Havre, and it was already looking pretty packed (only the premier cabin was showing), as is the Caen sailing the same day - not the best time to need essential maintenance!

So, the clear purpose of these rejigged schedules is to give the ship an extended period of time in Bilbao on both Wednesdays.  Arrival at 0800 both weeks, and then sailing at about 0200 the following morning.

Two Wednesdays, specifically in Bilbao, planned several weeks ahead.

Can't be anything massively urgent or they wouldn't wait the best part of 3 weeks, and whatever it is can clearly be split into 2 sessions, doesn't need an extended single block of time.

Why Bilbao?  Why not contrive to extend her stays already built into her schedules at Portsmouth or Le Havre?  Curious.  I wondered whether they might be planning to send her round to Astanders, but (a) not enough time, (b) I think she might be too long, and (c) if that was the plan then surely they would have diverted her sailings to Santander.

So it's Bilbao for another reason.  For what reason would an extended stay in Bilbao, 2 weeks in succession, 3 weeks from now, be required?

So glad I booked my crossing for the 13th april Ply-Ros on PA. I bet remaining spaces are going to be few and far between on the other crossings to France.

Baie De Seine is not too long for Astander shipyard Gareth. She had for refit in November and December 2016 at Astander. Cap Finistère is 204 metres in length & BDS is 199.4 meters in length according to BF.     

On 3/7/2017 at 09:22, Gareth said:

According to AIS she is heading directly to Portsmouth.  Which is a bit odd - unless the crew change has already happened in Santander, which would be very unusual.

The move across to Santander was also a bit strange - anyone know why they did that, rather than just running delayed from Bilbao?

Not necessarily, I have a couple of friends who crew on Baie de Seine. A crew change in Santander does happen. One of these friends lives near Rennes and has travelled to Santander to join the ship before.

And I've seen a Spanish registered coach unloading passengers directly outside the BF staff car park in Roscoff - CF crew following a period of rough weather when she was storm bound.

Chris

On 3/7/2017 at 09:22, Gareth said:

I traveled on the Baie de Seine earlier this week and did ask this question. On this occasion the crew change took place in Portsmouth, with them having traveled across overnight on the Normandie. The reason for the hop across to Santander was due to berth availability.