Andy

SAILING UPDATES: 2017 Latest News

On Wed Mar 22 2017 at 20:53, Andy said:
Baie Seine

Due to essential maintenance work on the Baie de Seine, the following sailings have been affected. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Portsmouth to Bilbao Tuesday 11 April 08:45 - This sailing will now depart on Monday 10 April 23:59. Latest check-in 23:15. Arrival into Bilbao will be on Wednesday 08:00. If this sailing is not suitable please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Bilbao to Portsmouth Wednesday 12 April 17:15 - This sailing will be delayed. Boarding will now commence at 20:00 and the ship doors will close at 22:00. The ship is expected to sail at 02:00 on Thursday 13 April. Arrival into Portsmouth will be on Friday 06:00.

Portsmouth to Bilbao Tuesday 18 April 08:45 - This sailing will now depart on Monday 17 April 23:59. Latest check-in 23:15. Arrival into Bilbao will be on Wednesday 08:00. If this sailing is not suitable please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Bilbao to Portsmouth Wednesday 19 April 17:15 - This sailing will be delayed. Boarding will now commence at 20:00 and the ship doors will close at 22:00. The ship is expected to sail at 02:00 on Thursday 20 April. Arrival into Portsmouth will be on Friday 06:00.

Portsmouth to Le Havre Thursday 13 April 23:00 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. Please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Portsmouth to Le Havre Thursday 20 April 23:00 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. Please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

(Note that there is a replacement sailing from Portsmouth/Le Havre at 08:00 on the 14th and 21st April.)

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

The reason for the timetable changes and cancellations with 'Baie de Seine', is because of a technical issue with one of her Stabilisers that requires essential maintenance.

Am currently onboard the Etretat in Portsmouth waiting for us to depart.  No firms info given onboard other than there is a 'technical problem'. 

Guess I will either wake up with a view of France or Portsmouth one way or another! 

There seems to be a problem with the linkspan in Ouistreham (Caen), foot passengers were able to disembark 'Normandie' this morning., however vehicles were stuck on board.

'Normandie' is now heading to Cherbourg where vehicles can leave the ship. All sailings for 'Normandie' today have been cancelled.

'Mont St Michel' is also being diverted to Cherbourg.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Good spot Tony.  MSM appears to have been about an hour (bit more) into her sailing from Portsmouth this morning before the diversion happened.  She changed course at about 0925. 

Curious that they're still choosing to use Cherbourg for this diversion rather than Le Havre.  MSM's sailing I can perhaps understand more, as her departure from Caen this afternoon would probably have interfered with loading Etretat.  But seems to me that it would have been much quicker for Normandie to have diverted to Le Havre this morning to unload her vehicles.  She could even have been on her way again to Portsmouth relatively efficiently.  Unless, of course, there is a problem with Normandie too.  I wonder if Normandie has collided with the linkspan and damaged both the linkspan and herself?  That would explain getting her to Cherbourg and taking her off-service.

Edited by Gareth

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

Is the other linkspan unsuitable?

Yes, completely.  Normandie and MSM are far too big to fit the old berth.

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Good spot Tony.  MSM appear to have been about an hour (bit more) into her sailing from Portsmouth this morning before the diversion happened.  She changed course at about 0925. 

Curious that they're still choosing to use Cherbourg for this diversion rather than Le Havre.  MSM's sailing I can perhaps understand more, as her departure from Caen this afternoon would probably have interfered with loading Etretat.  But seems to me that it would have been much quicker for Normandie to have diverted to Le Havre this morning to unload her vehicles.  She could even have been on her way again to Portsmouth relatively efficiently.  Unless, of course, there is a problem with Normandie too.  I wonder if Normandie has collided with the linkspan and damaged both the linkspan and herself?  That would explain getting her to Cherbourg and taking her off-service.

'Normandie' was already docked in Ouistreham when they realised there was a problem, made sense to let the foot passengers off. Nothing wrong with the ship itself, just the linkspan. 'Mont St Michel' was around 90 minutes out (around 50-60 minutes to the NAB Tower).

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Clearly, us British must be expert moaners. Brittany Ferries already getting stick for something that's quite obviously not their fault. People saying there were no announcements, rubbish! People wanting their free meals and drinks, they don't realise that in this case they are entitled to 50% in the self-service and cafe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Clearly, us British must be expert moaners. Brittany Ferries already getting stick for something that's quite obviously not their fault. People saying there were no announcements, rubbish! People wanting their free meals and drinks, they don't realise that in this case they are entitled to 50% in the self-service and cafe.

Do have a link to that discount? I couldn't see it in the terms and conditions.

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Good spot Tony.  MSM appears to have been about an hour (bit more) into her sailing from Portsmouth this morning before the diversion happened.  She changed course at about 0925. 

Maybe something to do with berth compatability.  If so, they'll need to do something before Normandie switches there on entry into service of the new ship whenever that will be.

BF Website update:

Portsmouth to Caen/Ouistreham - Caen/Ouistreham to Portsmouth

Due to a technical problem with the link-span in the port of Ouistreham (Caen), the following sailings have been affected. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Caen to Portsmouth Tuesday 4 April 08:30 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. Please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Portsmouth to Caen Tuesday 4 April 14:45 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. Please contact us on +44 (0)1752 648 637 for advice and alternatives.

Caen to Portsmouth Tuesday 4 April 16:30 - This sailing has been DIVERTED and will now depart from CHERBOURG at 17:00. Latest check in 16:15. 

Caen to Portsmouth Tuesday 4 April 23:00 - This sailing has been DIVERTED and will now depart from CHERBOURG at 23:00. Latest check in 22:15.

49 minutes ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Maybe something to do with berth compatability.  If so, they'll need to do something before Normandie switches there on entry into service of the new ship whenever that will be.

No, Normandie has used the berth at Le Havre before.  There was a period a few years ago when the Caen service switched over to Le Havre for a while.  Can't remember why - it was either to do with industrial action at Caen, or to do with berth or harbour maintenance.  But both Normandie and MSM operated to Le Havre for a period several days - might even have been a week, can't remember exactly.  They used the Le Havre berth stern-in.

33 minutes ago, Gareth said:

No, Normandie has used the berth at Le Havre before.  There was a period a few years ago when the Caen service switched over to Le Havre for a while.  Can't remember why - it was either to do with industrial action at Caen, or to do with berth or harbour maintenance.  But both Normandie and MSM operated to Le Havre for a period several days - might even have been a week, can't remember exactly.  They used the Le Havre berth stern-in.

Surprising then they divert to Cherbourg rather than Le Havre.  The latter is closer  (indeed on a clear day LH can be seen from the beach at Ouistreham) and perhaps would not be seen as such a great diversion by those heading south and east.  Otherwise if heading west e.g. down the A84 for which Cherbourg would be more convenient.  Of course BF could be trying to keep the Cherbourgeois happy!

But if Normandy was planning to offload at the bow this morning then that would have been difficult in Le Havre as it seems they have only ever done it stern-in. So maybe there was no real choice but to head for Cherbourg. Ed.

28 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But if Normandy was planning to offload at the bow this morning then that would have been difficult in Le Havre as it seems they have only ever done it stern-in. So maybe there was no real choice but to head for Cherbourg. Ed.

Maybe not compatible with the berth bow in!!!  Reminds me of the Transmanche ship -- but she had to go stern in because of the limitations of Newhaven but wasn't really compatible with the LH linkspan that way round.  One does wonder what they are thinking of doing if/when Normandie does pitch up on the LH service if this the case -- go bow in at Portsmouth?  Should have gone to Poole-Cherbourg!

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

When they ran to Le Havre a few years ago, both Normandie and MSM went bow-in at Portsmouth. No problem there, so Normandie will be fine when she switches to the Le Havre route.

59 minutes ago, Gareth said:

When they ran to Le Havre a few years ago, both Normandie and MSM went bow-in at Portsmouth. No problem there, so Normandie will be fine when she switches to the Le Havre route.

Not a totally satisfactory state of affairs I would venture to suggest but I suppose BF know what they're doing.  Vessels on past services in this position, I.e. not being entirely compatible with the linkspan berth, in this part of the Channel no longer operate.  It may be all right for a short deployment but one does wonder about something more long term.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion
Clarification

We have no reason at the moment to believe that there is any incompatibility. As I have posted in previous threads, stern first is BF's preferred berthing mode in Le Havre.  Ed's point this morning about needing to unload through the bow hence Cherbourg was an interesting angle, and he may be right, but equally there may be other reasons for going to Cherbourg rather than Le Havre.

I didn't have time to check it on Marine Traffic but normally you can see which way round the vessel is I believe. We'll find out for sure when she gets back to Portsmouth this evening. If she's stern-in then that supports the theory of choosing Cherbourg over Le Havre. Ed. 

Don't follow you at all there Ed. She's bound to be stern in at Portsmouth tomorrow because she's coming from Cherbourg. Not sure why you think that is going to tell us anything?

Perhaps the availability of shore-side staff, immigration officers etc to receive ferries at relatively short notice has a bearing on choice of port to divert to.

13 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Don't follow you at all there Ed. She's bound to be stern in at Portsmouth tomorrow because she's coming from Cherbourg. Not sure why you think that is going to tell us anything?

I just meant that it would suggest she berthed bow-in in Cherbourg and would have done the same in Ouistreham and so could not have gone to Le Havre. Angel's theory above might well be more realistic given that Oscar Wilde and Barfleur were already there. Ed. 

Both 'Mont St Michel' and 'Normandie' would have unloaded/loaded from the bow in Cherbourg today so 'Mont St Michel' will berth stern in at Portsmouth this evening as she normally does. 'Normandie' is also bow in at Cherbourg now, the same as she would in Ouistreham. 

More diversions , this evenings 22:45 from Portsmouth is diverting to Cherbourg

Tomorrow's 14:00 from Ouistreham is now leaving from Cherbourg.

Nothing regarding tomorrow's 08:15 from Portsmouth yet!