ORCA Display at Portsmouth International Port

Magnificent marine animals move into Portsmouth International Port

With life size Orca whales floating above their heads and a fifty foot Blue Whale to meet, it was a magical morning for a class of local school children at Portsmouth International Port.

The inflatable models are part of the Marine Wildlife Festival opened today by TV wildlife presenter Nigel Marven. The display celebrates the diversity of marine life in the seas that surround the South Coast and on ferry routes to France and Spain from Portsmouth International Port.

Thirty children from Cottage Grove Primary School were lucky to get a special lesson from Nigel Marven, who, as well as presenting much loved wildlife programmes, is a patron of local marine charity ORCA. Education officers from ORCA were also on hand to help guide the eight and nine year olds around the display that has over fifteen impressive life sized models of whales, dolphins, porpoises, sharks and turtles.

The Marine Wildlife Festival is the first special event held at Portsmouth International Port since the arrival of new Port Director Mike Sellers. Mike, accompanied by Portsmouth Lord Mayor Councillor David Fuller, joined the primary school children for the official opening of the three day event.

Mike Sellers said, “With the help of our customers, Portsmouth International Port has developed a reputation as a gateway to whale watching adventures with ferries heading to Spain from Portsmouth crossing through the Bay of Biscay, one of the most important habitats on the planet for whales, dolphins and porpoises. This incredible exhibition helps show passengers and locals exactly what is living in our seas and, perhaps most importantly, what we all must do to protect them.”

Hundreds more school children will be arriving at the modern passenger terminal for “Whale Workshops” over the next few days. The experts from ORCA will be teaching them more about the wide variety of creatures living in waters not far from their homes.

Anna Bunney, ORCA Education Co-ordinator, said, “We know from our work onboard Brittany Ferries services from Portsmouth to Spain and France that passengers love spotting these magnificent animals in the wild. This exhibition really is the next best thing, and gives us a chance to highlight how lucky we are to be surrounded by such a rich variety of cetaceans and other creatures.”

The display is open to anyone visiting the Port during normal operating hours from 7-9 February.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n269731[/ATTACH]

If PIP and Cllr Fuller really cared about our friends in the world animal kingdom they would be doing something about the lack of of humane facilities for pets at the PIP. I have it in writing that they have no such plans, even though one of my correspondents agreed with my point about facilities being required.

Pet owners are forced to turn up early and then waved through to the quayside where dog walking is strictly prohibited with now multi language neon signs advising of this fact. Maybe Mr Sellers and Cllr Fuller, should take a visit to the Folkestone and Coquelles facilities of Eurotunnel, perhaps even Mr Bevens could tag along too, they cod then see how customers of the canine kind are provided for by a competitor organisation, Dog exercise facilities are provided landside and "tunnelside", and don't forget the trip is only 35mins. Dogs are customers too, owners have to pay a fee to travel with them both to and from the UK, well at least in the case of BF they do, when actually no formal customs formalities exist into Europe.

I would like to know what the RSPCA would think of this.

• Like 1
This really is a great display, my friends visited earlier and had a whale of a time.They porpoisely arrived early for their ferry to have a good look round!

I think they orca leave the display up for a bit longer. It would be a shame to turtlely remove it. Maybe moving the models upstairs would be the best fin they could do. Ed.

If PIP and Cllr Fuller really cared about our friends in the world animal kingdom they would be doing something about the lack of of humane facilities for pets at the PIP. I have it in writing that they have no such plans, even though one of my correspondents agreed with my point about facilities being required.

Pet owners are forced to turn up early and then waved through to the quayside where dog walking is strictly prohibited with now multi language neon signs advising of this fact. Maybe Mr Sellers and Cllr Fuller, should take a visit to the Folkestone and Coquelles facilities of Eurotunnel, perhaps even Mr Bevens could tag along too, they cod then see how customers of the canine kind are provided for by a competitor organisation, Dog exercise facilities are provided landside and "tunnelside", and don't forget the trip is only 35mins. Dogs are customers too, owners have to pay a fee to travel with them both to and from the UK, well at least in the case of BF they do, when actually no formal customs formalities exist into Europe.

I would like to know what the RSPCA would think of this.

I'd suggest live animals are a sensitive issue at the PIP. Celtic Link Ferries' Cherbourg-Ports service foundered over the issue of live animals, i.e. pigs, sheep etc, for slaughter, a trade the PIP didn't want.

I'd suggest live animals are a sensitive issue at the PIP. Celtic Link Ferries' Cherbourg-Ports service foundered over the issue of live animals, i.e. pigs, sheep etc, for slaughter, a trade the PIP didn't want.

I presume this is why I see lorryloads of livestock in Cherbourg. Pitiful sight seeing their heads poking out of the bars all baa-ing and moo-ing. Cattlewise - often wondered if they were veal calves as they look quite young.

I didn't know Celtic Link sailed to Portsmouth. I always thought they came to be after taking over the P&O Irish Sea route to Cherbourg from Rosslare gaining their livestock licence as Celtic Link was owned by a group of Irish farmers.

I didn't know Celtic Link sailed to Portsmouth. I always thought they came to be after taking over the P&O Irish Sea route to Cherbourg from Rosslare gaining their livestock licence as Celtic Link was owned by a group of Irish farmers.

It was a very short-lived operation during an equally short-lived tie up with LD. After LD gave up on their Rosslare - Le Havre route (in about 2009 I think it was), they decided to try to use Norman Voyager on a similar type of operation to her Le Havre roster but out of Cherbourg instead. So, basically, operating Norman Voyager from Cherbourg to both Portsmouth and Rosslare. The way they did this was to charter Norman Voyager to Celtic Link. Celtic Link basically operated the service, and LD marketed it as well. Celtic Link provided their Diplomat to the operation as well, with the result that both ships were involved in running a Rosslare to Cherbourg service and a Portsmouth - Cherbourg service. One ship did Portsmouth during the week, and then they swapped for the weekend but I can't remember which way round it was.

The whole operation (and tie up with LD) came to an abrupt halt when they fell out with Portsmouth Harbour for some reason. Something to do with deficences on Norman Voyager but can't remember exactly what. I have a feeling Norman Voyager was impounded in Portsmouth for a while in connection with this. Anyway, whatever the details, it ended up with the Celtic Link tie-up with LD falling apart and the Portsmouth-Cherbourg leg ceasng to operate.

Nice to know the vessel at the heart of that little incident is now trading in BF colours (for the time being)!

As always Hawser I think you are probably right. And PIP Official's lack of comment on my post along with the communications I have, confirms your view.

When Mr Bevens spouts forth in his monthly newsletter about how many pets have been carried, and how pet friendly BF are . The PIP management must cringe!.

It was a very short-lived operation during an equally short-lived tie up with LD. After LD gave up on their Rosslare - Le Havre route (in about 2009 I think it was), they decided to try to use Norman Voyager on a similar type of operation to her Le Havre roster but out of Cherbourg instead. So, basically, operating Norman Voyager from Cherbourg to both Portsmouth and Rosslare. The way they did this was to charter Norman Voyager to Celtic Link. Celtic Link basically operated the service, and LD marketed it as well. Celtic Link provided their Diplomat to the operation as well, with the result that both ships were involved in running a Rosslare to Cherbourg service and a Portsmouth - Cherbourg service. One ship did Portsmouth during the week, and then they swapped for the weekend but I can't remember which way round it was.

The whole operation (and tie up with LD) came to an abrupt halt when they fell out with Portsmouth Harbour for some reason. Something to do with deficences on Norman Voyager but can't remember exactly what. I have a feeling Norman Voyager was impounded in Portsmouth for a while in connection with this. Anyway, whatever the details, it ended up with the Celtic Link tie-up with LD falling apart and the Portsmouth-Cherbourg leg ceasng to operate.

Nice to know the vessel at the heart of that little incident is now trading in BF colours (for the time being)!

Mmmm... it's a shame Visentini sounds like a canal side Venetian restaurant, it conjures so many pleasant images, oh dear!

It was a very short-lived effort dogged by all sorts of controversy which ended with Porstmouth City Council and the company having to come to some financial arrangement over various issues a few years later including a substantial claim for loss of business by Celtic Link. The carriage of livestock was an issue but there were others i seem to remember. Their vessel was also I think impounded at Cherbourg for one reason or another and it was also detained at Portsmouth by the MCA over safety deficiencies.

I think some of these histories of Celtic Link Ferries are a bit confused. I thought this operator was formed by Irish agricultural interests to take over the Rosslare-Cherbourg link when P&O withdrew from the Western Channel. They took over the ferry as well. I think this vessel was replaced by Norman Voyager, now Etretat I believe, from LD and then by Celtic Horizon, now Stena Horizon.

Celtic Link made two attempts at a Cherbourg-Ports service, the ferry crossing between its Irish rotations. The first was with a ferry they named Celtic Mist. Unfortunately this ship was in such an appalling state of neglect that she wasn't allowed to operate. The second was with Norman Voyager where I believe the CFP (Continental Ferry Port as the PIP was then called) management were not happy with the live animal exports upon which Celtic Link heavily depended to be profitable as being inconsistent with a strongly pax port. In the event Celtic Link resorted to at least one very questionable stratagem to maintain the service and so the ways parted and the operation ended.

I agree it's very hard to recall the exact sequence of LD's "development" of its brief foray into the English Channel, given that the dfferent phases lasted months, not years, and sometimes only weeks. Norman Voyager entered service in 2008, and when she entered service she was based at Le Havre and ran twice a week to Rosslare and three times a week to Portsmouth (opposite Norman Spirit). At that time the Rosslare - Le Havre servce did indeed run in competition with Celtic Link (which ran to Cherbourg, using Diplomat, having evolved from the previous P&O Rosslare-Cherbourg route).

LD abandoned their Rosslare-Le Havre route in 2009 and joined up with Celtic Link to use both Norman Voyager and Diplomat to run Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Rosslare-Cherbourg. The mechanics of how that happened were that Norman Voyager was chartered to Celtic Link, which operated both vessels, and both servces were also marketed by LD. The Portsmouth-Cherbourg route ran once a day, evening departure from Cherbourg to Portsmouth and overnight from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. One ship did the Portsmouth run on Fri, Sat and Sun, switching to Rosslare in the week, while the other ship ran to Rosslare at the weekend and did Portsmouth Mon-Thurs. Can't remember which way round it was. During that operation Norman Voyager was detained in Portsmouth after the crew failed a safety drill. I believe that LD also fell out big time with Cherbourg, not sure why exactly but something to do with money. My understanding was that this resulted in a total breakdown of relationship between LD and Cherbourg such that LD were never able to consider sailing to there again. Needless to say, the tie-up with Celtic Link did not survive these incidents, but they did acqure the attraction if the Vinsentinis, hence their next step being the acquisition of Celtic Horizon.