quincy

Poole Harbour Developmement

2 minutes ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Indeed!  But is it multi-purpose or is it dedicated to just the one ferry i.e. Barfleur?  If the latter, what happens if Barfleur goes or is replaced by another ship?

There was no mention of Barfleur going or being replaced. The BF MD seemed quite happy with things as they are for the foreseeable future. I suppose so long as Barfleur remains the regular Poole ferry then it doesn't matter one iota if it's fixed or not. If at some time in the future Barfleur is changed for some other vessel then it wouldn't be too much of a job to relocate the ramps or even fit them with wheels so probably a non issue.

42 minutes ago, G4rth said:

There was no mention of Barfleur going or being replaced. The BF MD seemed quite happy with things as they are for the foreseeable future. I suppose so long as Barfleur remains the regular Poole ferry then it doesn't matter one iota if it's fixed or not. If at some time in the future Barfleur is changed for some other vessel then it wouldn't be too much of a job to relocate the ramps or even fit them with wheels so probably a non issue.

Let's hope so!

I look forward to seeing this facility when finished.  

I think you will find the final decisions concerning the operations of BF are taken by the company's supervisory board in Paris presided over M. Jean-Michel Roue.  I don't know what input, if any, executives on this side of the Channel have into this.  It's right to say one of Mr Napton's predecessors, Ian Carruthers, was a member of the subordinate management board so one would suppose he had some input into corporate strategy.

9 hours ago, G4rth said:

Stuff like passenger gangways are rarely totally obsolete by a change of ship!  Just a matter of moving a bit, adding a bit, taking a bit away...Sometimes it's even just a question of cutting a new door in the ship or cutting a bit of outside deck to make it work.

Definitely not an issue to me.

1 hour ago, RickOShea said:

Stuff like passenger gangways are rarely totally obsolete by a change of ship!  Just a matter of moving a bit, adding a bit, taking a bit away...Sometimes it's even just a question of cutting a new door in the ship or cutting a bit of outside deck to make it work.

Definitely not an issue to me.

Once again, let's hope so!

1 hour ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

I hear rumours that South Quay is not finished and won't be for some months.  Thus no bigger ships for some months either!

Well if a useable quay is some months away it will be interesting to see what they do with the 20 cruise ships already booked for this year.

2 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Well if a useable quay is some months away it will be interesting to see what they do with the 20 cruise ships already booked for this year.

Rumours go on to suggest they are the very small ones that Poole has easily accommodated in the past because South Quay isn't finished and so not available for the larger ones they were hoping for.

9 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Time will tell.

Indeed it will!  Obviously it will eventually be finished and then Poole Harbour will see the larger ships.  It's just it won't be happening quite as soon as was planned -- just in case someone, e.g. me, was thinking of visiting in the hope of seeing one!

Can they not just bring the passengers to the quayside by tender? If so, how do the immigration officers process the visitors? Ed

Tendering usually entails anchoring which requires the ship to be able to swing with the tide. I doubt if there would be room for this at Poole. If buoys were used then two would be needed and very well secured, it can be tricky to moor between two buoys. All too much of a faff. Cruise companies much prefer to go alongside wherever possible, it is much safer given the often advanced age of their customers.

I doubt if immigration clearance would be needed, the usual practice is for the ship to count them all out and count them all back. Any missing are reported to the shore authorities. Intended immigrants don't tend to take cruises.

Doesn't it rather depend on what is meant by "not finished". A quay with no means to secure a hawser would be more serious than a quay without, say, signage. Both would be incomplete one would be usable but the other not.

22 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I doubt if immigration clearance would be needed, the usual practice is for the ship to count them all out and count them all back. Any missing are reported to the shore authorities. Intended immigrants don't tend to take cruises.

I'm sure you are right about that. I'm just a little surprised, plus the risk of someone bringing something ashore that they perhaps shouldn't. Ed

While walking round the terminal, this morning, noticed these yellow boxy things on the linkspan, maybe I have just forgotton or just never noticed them before, but pretty sure they are recent.  What exactly do they do?  Also a yellow cab just beside the lifted part.

A286FF30-5CE7-4A05-91AE-653FB6F2C984.png

Edited by Khaines

21 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Tendering usually entails anchoring which requires the ship to be able to swing with the tide. I doubt if there would be room for this at Poole. If buoys were used then two would be needed and very well secured, it can be tricky to moor between two buoys. All too much of a faff. Cruise companies much prefer to go alongside wherever possible, it is much safer given the often advanced age of their customers.

PHC did have plans along these lines for a cruise ship anchorage off the ferry terminal within the Harbour utilising two bouys.  It was envisaged such a ship, maybe 35,000 GT, could be there to act as a hotel for the 2012 Olympic sailing regatta at Portland.  But the whole idea foundered on objections from the Poole Yacht Club because the anchorage would be right in the way of their own yacht races!

Today's Sunday Times Travel Section has a full page advertisment by Cruise & Maritime Voyages for four cruises from Poole in March and April 2019. They range from nine to thirteen days induration and the ship is the Astoria.

14 hours ago, Khaines said:

While walking round the terminal, this morning, noticed these yellow boxy things on the linkspan, maybe I have just forgotton or just never noticed them before, but pretty sure they are recent.  What exactly do they do?  Also a yellow cab just beside the lifted part.

A286FF30-5CE7-4A05-91AE-653FB6F2C984.png

I believe the yellow boxy things are body heat detectors designed to detect unauthorised persons in vehicles leaving the ship, obviously illegal immigrants.  They have them at Portsmouth as well.

The cab is where the linkspan is driven from I.e. where the controls are located.  The lower element of the linkspan especially has to be adjusted to take account of the characteristics of ships and of the tides.  Currently there are just the two using it, Barfleur and MN Pelican, though Armorique will take the place of the former for a few weeks next month.  If you take a good look at linkspans everywhere in every ferry port they all have cabs or at least a point from which they are controlled.

Thanks, HT.  Talking of yellow things, I see they now have the railway blocked off - I thought the occasional train still used that.  Because I have not been walking round there for so long have been noticing things I may not have before while having a good old mooch.

I suppose I never noticed the yellow cab before!

AE71D72E-30CD-469C-B508-64B999BF2149.jpeg

61EEA22B-407B-4718-AAF2-2FA5B884788B.jpeg

Edited by Khaines

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Thanks, HT.  Talking of yellow things, I see they now have the railway blocked off - I thought the occasional train still used that.  Because I have not been walking round there for so long have been noticing things I may not have before while having a good old mooch.

How extraordinary!  I wonder what has prompted this.  The railway line into the docks area has been there for years with no barrier and now this appears.  Is it movable?  It seems it's designed to prevent something going up the railway line into the port area.  But what?  Especially when the railway line was supposed to have come back into use because the Government wanted it apparently.  It's sometimes difficult to figure out what gives at Poole.

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

The railway as far as the level crossing is managed by Railtrack, beyond is the responsibility of PHC. Although stone trains from Somerset, as far as I know, still use the Hamworthy goods branch, they never proceed onto PHC metals.

21 hours ago, G4rth said:

Doesn't it rather depend on what is meant by "not finished". A quay with no means to secure a hawser would be more serious than a quay without, say, signage. Both would be incomplete one would be usable but the other not.

Quite. South Quay has already been used for layover by Whitchampion and Arrow, as the quay edge and mooring bollards are all in place. It's just the actual final surface levelling and top layer that isn't quite finished. Astoria isn't booked until late August / September so plenty of time to get things ready for it, as for the smaller cruise ships well they have been using other berths at the port for years so no worries there then!

It looks like it can be moved without much difficulty by a forklift or telescopic-handler if required. It seems to be resting on the rails themselves so can't be that heavy as they won't want to damage or buckle them. I would suspect it is to avoid people accidently driving onto the tracks by mistaking the instructions given by a GPS device as so often seems to happen. Ed. 

7 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

I believe the yellow boxy things are body heat detectors designed to detect unauthorised persons in vehicles leaving the ship, obviously illegal immigrants.  They have them at Portsmouth as well.

They are radiation detectors, all the ports have them somewhere though not necessarily on the linkspans.  An activation will result in a hold on all traffic while Border Force and Customs investigate.  They are sensitive enough to be activated if someone in a vehicle has had Radiotherapy.

• Like 1