quincy

Poole Harbour Developmement

1 hour ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

How extraordinary!  I wonder what has prompted this.  The railway line into the docks area has been there for years with no barrier and now this appears.  Is it movable?  It seems it's designed to prevent something going up the railway line into the port area.  But what?  Especially when the railway line was supposed to have come back into use because the Government wanted it apparently.  It's sometimes difficult to figure out what gives at Poole.

I am not sure abour moveable, looks like they are sitting on some sort of mechanism that means they could be, not sure, had a good look at them, they have only recently turned up.

Thanks for the foregoing.

PHC would, I believe, like to have containers arriving and departing by rail, as would HM Government apparently.  However I don't know how they would propose to move the containers between the ship on presumably South Quay and the railway line.  They are not next door.  I suppose a path would have to be developed between the berth and the railway line for the terminal container transporters.  But I am not sure where they would find space to load and unload the container trains.  While Poole Port has plenty of space it's not alongside the present railway line and what there is by the railway line may not be under the control of PHC.  A possible location could be the line beyond the barrier in the photos. Thus the whole business of moving containers by rail at Poole may not be as straightforward as many would hope and maybe it's not too soon for PHC to start to try to work out how they would hope to achieve it.  Should container traffic be secured for South Quay it seems very likely that containers will arrive and depart by road for some time after the trade starts.

8 minutes ago, scarlton said:

I enquired about the gangway last week. It is not moveable. As has been said, it seems rather shortsitghted from PHC.

Thanks for the confirmation scarlton.  Agreed - incomprehensibly short-sighted.

21 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, that looks pretty conclusive quincy!  Doesn't quite look finished, does it?! :D

"Pretty conclusive"? To the open minded of course the explanation might be very different. Someone builds quay, shock horror someone uses quay to unload shipment of sand. Things might not necessarily be as they seem although, equaly, with the absense of facts, you may be right.

7 minutes ago, G4rth said:

"Pretty conclusive"? To the open minded of course the explanation might be very different. Someone builds quay, shock horror someone uses quay to unload shipment of sand. Things might not necessarily be as they seem although, equaly, with the absense of facts, you may be right.

Ah, but it’s not just the sand, is it G4rth?  The workmen and the work trucks add to the picture.  Although, equally, you may also be right, if handling solid bulk was part of the planned use of the Quay.  Can’t quite see how that is compatible with handling cruise ships, but in the absence of any cruise ships yet maybe they have thought of another use for the Quay. 😉

44 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ah, but it’s not just the sand, is it G4rth?  The workmen and the work trucks add to the picture.  Although, equally, you may also be right, if handling solid bulk was part of the planned use of the Quay.  Can’t quite see how that is compatible with handling cruise ships, but in the absence of any cruise ships yet maybe they have thought of another use for the Quay. 😉

At Falmouth docks they handle bulk cargo and cruise ships on the same berth, so they must be able to clean up enough after handling cargo.

Could be there to mix with ballast which is compacted prior to the tarmac & paving. If so a February/March opening is still very much on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Could be there to mix with ballast which is compacted prior to the tarmac & paving. If so a February/March opening is still very much on.

Definitely something to do with ongoing works on thr new quay.

I was on the water on Sunday  in Poole Harbour and took a series of picures to show RoRo 1 and 2 and the new South Quay deveopment.

It does appear to be a long way from completion with huge piles of infill material to be moved before tarmac can be laid.

This  is the link to my  photo album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/swiftly/albums/72157693089790455

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2018 at 11:22, Gareth said:

Yes, that looks pretty conclusive quincy!  Doesn't quite look finished, does it?! :D

So.....right first time eh G4rth?  As I said, pretty conclusive.

10 hours ago, Gareth said:

So.....right first time eh G4rth?  As I said, pretty conclusive.

The press has reported it's open. They may be wrong and you may be right. However, personally, I would have thought "pretty conclusive" might involve something more than a photo's from well below the level of the quay. For "pretty conclusive" I would want to see a picture that actually looked down on the quay surface. But then I do rather like solid information rather than speculation. 

Maybe it's open for further deliveries of sand and construction materials and for ships wishing to moor up for bunkering etc, but not to offload containers or disembark any passengers. Ed. 

On 3/15/2017 at 14:46, Hawser Trunnion said:

I see the maximum length for ships accessing Poole Harbour is now 220m and the cost of the project has risen to £10 millions.  Accordingly I do wonder what the reaction would be to a rival operator(s) wanting to establish ferry services from the port.  As I have previously suggested this South Quay project has the potential to change the character of the Port of Poole.

Here's an idea... 

When the e-flexer arrives, but Cap on Poole - Spain permanently, put Pont on Plymouth - Spain permanently, Put E-Flexer on Portsmouth - Spain permanently, and bin Pelican and the whole economie brand also?