Macc2010

Why do so many people hate the Armorique?

​But how many more? Enough to have an A La Carte restaurant seven days a week? As I said in the previous post the Thursday crossing is better time wise for many, with a proper nights sleep, unless you spend to long in the bar.

I don't have the stats in front of me but 30% approximately depending on the time of year.

I'm surprised BF give out such commercially sensitive material so freely.

They don't, it's an approximate figure. I don't think an accurate figure would be available to any of us. However the figure I've given is accurate enough to give a vague idea for an enthusiast, not for any commercial interests.

They don't, it's an approximate figure. I don't think an accurate figure would be available to any of us. However the figure I've given is accurate enough to give a vague idea for an enthusiast, not for any commercial interests.

How is the figure arrived at?

How is the figure arrived at?

Now that I can't tell you. However, it's accurate enough for our purposes. I of course understand if anyone disregards it due to it's lack of source. But it is credible.

Question...

Is the Thursday night crossing extended due to the A La Carte being open or is it due to most passengers having to book a cabin?

When i was on her while she was at Portsmouth she had Sky Sports showing in the bar area but have not seen Sky Sports on other ships in the fleet.

So do they show Sky Sports on the ships?

Also have to the say people are right about the Air con on her she was on the chilly side during the night but to me that seems to be a thing on most Passenger ships for some reason.

Question...

Is the Thursday night crossing extended due to the A La Carte being open or is it due to most passengers having to book a cabin?

So they can market it as a "gourmet cruise " with early boarding a nice long weekend out Thursday back Sunday .

When i was on her while she was at Portsmouth she had Sky Sports showing in the bar area but have not seen Sky Sports on other ships in the fleet.

So do they show Sky Sports on the ships?

Also have to the say people are right about the Air con on her she was on the chilly side during the night but to me that seems to be a thing on most Passenger ships for some reason.

Regarding Sky Sports - probably not all the time, but possibly there was a sporting event going on at the time of some particular interest so they had it on. Like France in the World Cup they might?

So they can market it as a "gourmet cruise " with early boarding a nice long weekend out Thursday back Sunday .

Yes, the early departure on Thursdays is related to the availability of the restaurant and early boarding, as Neil says, and the opportunity to make the voyage in style. Clearly therefore, whilst they could quite easily arrange for Armorique to sail to this schedule most of the time (by leaving Roscoff a couple of hours earlier eatlier in the day), there would be little point in doing so as 12 hours aboard Armorique would be very tedious.

I am sure that Pont Aven's loadngs are artificially inflated by the fact that many people choosing to cross Plymouth-Roscoff will deliberately choose the Thursday sailing (we do). But I'm not sure that, if a Pont Aven - style sailing were to run every day, it would result in the present Thursday loadings being replicated each day. Would probably just spread the existing custom more evenly across the week.

I have got to have my brief say, I travel on the Arm. 6-8 times each year and always have found her very comfortable for what she is, a means of getting from Roscoff to Plymouth. She is just a regular ferry service, a bit like a National Express coach from Plymouth to Birmingham. They both cost about the same and as a passenger I know which I would rather spend my 6 hours on!!

Edited by nigelinfrance

When I'm going for a 2 week holiday in France I'm quite happy to get on a ferry and get of it asap whilst having a pleasant time on board I don't want to spend £35 a head on a meal and I'm sure most families feel a similar way.

The thread seems to be turning into a bit of a discussion about what individual members of the forum think of the ship (good and bad). Might be wrong, but I didn't think that was the intended purpose of the thread. I thought that the original question was about what the reasons are for her having a bad reputation (assuming that this is actually the case, which it might not be) among the general travelling public.

That's why I thought Chris would be able to provide a good insight - not for his personal views, but for his exposure to the opinions of large numbers of people on the matter through his business.

If the question was actually aimed at the views of forum members then I think the premise of the question is entirely invalid. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 members of the forum that have expressed views that could be considered consistent with "hating Armorique".

Reasons people "hate" Armorique

1.lack of waiter serviced restaurant.

2. Modern design.

3. Children being near the dining area.

4. Air conditioning turned down too low.

5. Reserved seating area noisy.

6. Chips.

7. Plastic tables and chairs.

I think that's the major ones all covered although I'm sure there's more.

Yes, the early departure on Thursdays is related to the availability of the restaurant and early boarding, as Neil says, and the opportunity to make the voyage in style. Clearly therefore, whilst they could quite easily arrange for Armorique to sail to this schedule most of the time (by leaving Roscoff a couple of hours earlier eatlier in the day), there would be little point in doing so as 12 hours aboard Armorique would be very tedious.

I am sure that Pont Aven's loadngs are artificially inflated by the fact that many people choosing to cross Plymouth-Roscoff will deliberately choose the Thursday sailing (we do). But I'm not sure that, if a Pont Aven - style sailing were to run every day, it would result in the present Thursday loadings being replicated each day. Would probably just spread the existing custom more evenly across the week.

It should be pointed out that Pont Aven's Thursday night loadings are artificially high because BF really push it with either the Gourmet Cruise (24 hours) or long weekend offer, currently £158 for a car and 2 including a cabin on the outward leg, about half the full fare rate. This obviously appeals to those who don't have to turn up for work on Fridays, have plenty of disposable income (or pension) and consider a visit to the main restaurant as de rigueur. From my experience at work these are the customers who really can't stand Armorique, which is why the Sunday morning 09h15 sailing is so popular.

I'm not advocating a Pont Aven style sailing on a 7/7 basis, there isn't in my view sufficient year round demand to justify the added expense and running costs, but that's where I disagree with you Gareth when you compared the Roscoff and Caen routes. Yes similar crossing times, yes a similar schedule but Caen has more customers on board because they need to be, whether that's work, holiday or visiting a second home and are happy to pay the full fare, rather than being tempted by a promotional offer. With Portsmouth being closer to London, and Caen handily placed for Paris, the ski slopes, central and south-east France, it's not by chance the route is so popular, with a clientele more likely to use a waiter service option if available.

I've said this before but I will be very surprised if MSM 2 doesn't have such an option, so much so I'll do a Lineker and work in my underpants for the day if I'm wrong!

Chris

Has anyone mentioned the Saturday overnighter from Plymouth on Armorique?

I actually like that one because it doesn't arrive in Roscoff until 0900 UK time (1000 French time). So no really early morning wake up music like the timing on the awful overnighter into Caen, and time for more than one snatched coffee. But then I do fit Chris's description as one of the leisured class of the clientele!

Edited by wortley

Reasons people "hate" Armorique

1.lack of waiter serviced restaurant.

2. Modern design.

3. Children being near the dining area.

4. Air conditioning turned down too low.

5. Reserved seating area noisy.

6. Chips.

7. Plastic tables and chairs.

I think that's the major ones all covered although I'm sure there's more.

Add to that a soulless bar and poorly desiged sundecks aft.

Has anyone mentioned the Saturday overnighter from Plymouth on Armorique?

I actually like that one because it doesn't arrive in Roscoff until 0900 UK time (1000 French time). So no really early morning wake up music like the timing on the awful overnighter into Caen, and time for more than one snatched coffee. But then I do fit Chris's description as one of the leisured class of the clientele!

The Sunday morning Armorique arrival is generally the quietest of the week, with often less than 50 cars on board.

And if you find the current Caen overnight schedule hard going consider yourselves lucky - it used to be 23h15 ex Portsmouth arriving at 06h30 the next morning local time. Mind you nothing beats the Stena Normandy summer schedule into Cherbourg in the mid 90's, 23h59 ex Southampton arrived at 05h00 with a wake up call at 3 in the morning ships time, and they charged full cabin rates too.....!

Chris

Add to that a soulless bar and poorly desiged sundecks aft.

I like the bar, but then I like the ship so that's not a surprise.

Slight tangent, but quick question about the Sunday morning 0915. I presume La Flora is open for breakfast on that crossing but not lunch. Is that correct?

I like the bar, but then I like the ship so that's not a surprise.

Each to their own I guess

• Like 1

The thread seems to be turning into a bit of a discussion about what individual members of the forum think of the ship (good and bad). Might be wrong, but I didn't think that was the intended purpose of the thread. I thought that the original question was about what the reasons are for her having a bad reputation (assuming that this is actually the case, which it might not be) among the general travelling public.

That's why I thought Chris would be able to provide a good insight - not for his personal views, but for his exposure to the opinions of large numbers of people on the matter through his business.

If the question was actually aimed at the views of forum members then I think the premise of the question is entirely invalid. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 members of the forum that have expressed views that could be considered consistent with "hating Armorique".

No it was aimed at everyone not just on here but also people who do not know about us.

The reason i started the thread was that i overheard some people when i was on her the other week having a good old moan about her.

Thing is Macc2010, Armorique is in the same sphere as Barfleur when it comes to disapproval. Barfleur and Arm have got roughly the same facilities and lack the the same facilities too, but there are differences. Arm, she has cinemas, larger cabins and in general facilities on her are larger than Barfleur. Barf has a dedicated bar section while Arm's is in the middle of the passageway.

No ship in the fleet escapes a mauling on here, though, and there are many members here each with their own opinion. Barfleur and Etretat are the usual targets, I think the only members of the fleet who are sort of exempt are NEX and Pelican. I would say simply because she hasn't got a waitered restaurant, her decor and bar placement are her peccadilloes on here.

Edited by Khaines
Removed wording