The ferry Expert

How long will the Bretagne stay in service?

Will be 2020 at the earliest before Bretagne leaves the fleet. The longer BF takes to place an order to replace her (directly or indirectly), the longer she will remain in the fleet.

The only way she would leave before 2020 is if BF got a decent 2nd hand replacement and that doesn't look on the cards I think she might even last beyond 2020 but then BF do surprise us sometimes.

With a vessel that is apart from Winter ideal for the route, there is little need to be in a hurry to change her. Its steady as you go type of route. Lovely vessel so as long as she is economically viable then keep going. Its the Caen vessels that are the bread and butter and Spain so they need attention. Barfleur and Bretagne in the boat (ha ha) really, fit for purpose so keep maintained as part time vessels, easy timings on routes so can last longer. Invest on main routes. Simples!!!

She's not ideal for the route in July and August especially when BF must miss out on a fortune because her cabins are sold out by March at the latest not to mention her loading issues which could be fixed with a newer ship oh and her running/repair costs compared to a newer ship , a nice ship yes, ideal for the route ? Part of the year maybe.

Back in 2014 bf said that a new ferry would enter service in spring 2017 which would replace the PA on the Spanish routes! The PA would be on the Portsmouth-St Malo service and the Bretagne would be sold or scraped!

If you look up Pegasis in this forum you will find plenty of discussion of that historical topic. There was no suggestion from BF that Bretagne would be scrapped however.

There has been a mention that she could possibly be scrapped, because of her age, I heard this, not only from some crew members on Bretagne and another vessel but also from a member of the office staff. It's also been put on Wikipedia that this is a possibility. I don't believe anyone would say such a thing if it hasn't been mentioned.

There has been a mention that she could possibly be scrapped, because of her age, I heard this, not only from some crew members on Bretagne and another vessel but also from a member of the office staff. It's also been put on Wikipedia that this is a possibility. I don't believe anyone would say such a thing if it hasn't been mentioned.

There has been plenty of speculation, Tony, including in this forum and including by me. But if you read the OP more carefully, the suggestion in it was that BF has stated this officially and I am not aware that this has been the case.

Blimey..give the guy a break. What happened to being a friendly forum?

Give the guy a break - he can't help it, he's a Scot! :)

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 1

With a vessel that is apart from Winter ideal for the route, there is little need to be in a hurry to change her. Its steady as you go type of route. Lovely vessel so as long as she is economically viable then keep going. Its the Caen vessels that are the bread and butter and Spain so they need attention. Barfleur and Bretagne in the boat (ha ha) really, fit for purpose so keep maintained as part time vessels, easy timings on routes so can last longer. Invest on main routes. Simples!!!

How is Portsmouth-St Malo not a main route?

Bretagne carries just as many passengers to France a year as MSM or Normandie and more than Spain.

How is Portsmouth-St Malo not a main route?

Bretagne carries just as many passengers to France a year as MSM or Normandie and more than Spain.

I now tend to agree with the business analysis which holds that BF have only two principal services viz. Ports-Ouistreham/Northern Spain. The rest are to a greater or lesser extent token with a view to discouraging competition. Bretagne will remain in service for as long as she is seaworthy and offers a competitive service on Ports-St Malo to keep out the others.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

I now tend to agree with the business analysis which holds that BF have only two principal services viz. Ports-Ouistreham/Northern Spain. The rest are to a greater or lesser extent token with a view to discouraging competition. Bretagne will remain in service for as long as she is seaworthy and offers a competitive service on Ports-St Malo to keep out the others.

It's certainly disappointingly true that BF's offering on just about every route apart from Caen is very token (with very little choice of sailing time). But I think it is nonsense to suggest that BF's motives for operating most of its route network is to keep the competition out. There has never been any suggestion of any competition on their routes to Brittany since the company started!

Edited by Gareth

To say St Malo is a token service is taking it a bit far, without classifying people I think it is aimed at a different customer, one who wants a relaxed crossing with a meal and later arrival time. The fact they are running more night crossings from St Malo during the winter shows they know where the market is, it's just there's not enough to run two ships all year providing night crossings both ways. I think it's more the Jam on top of Ports/Caen.

I agree. Also, the fact that the plan is to relocate Pont Aven to the St Malo route when it becomes possible to release her from Spanish service shows just how important the St Malo route is to BF in its network.

Edited by Gareth

I disagree with this somewhat. For example - Plymouth-Roscoff is the longest served route on the Western channel. It carries hundreds of thousands of passengers a year to a small fishing village in North Western Brittany, and gives a huge boost to tourism and local industry in the region. I doubt Roscoff would have much of a tourism industry if not for the route. It is served by the newest vessel in the fleet, and has an almost year round service, with upto 2 return sailings daily. I would not call this a token offering. I doubt many other operators would want to run this route. It serves the people of the South West of England, and South Wales very well. I can't see what much more of an offering Roscoff would want, or benefit from?

It's certainly disappointingly true that BF's offering on just about every route apart from Caen is very token (with very little choice of sailing time). But I think it is nonsense to suggest that BF's motives for operating most of its route network is to keep the competition out. There has never been any suggestion of any competition on their routes to Brittany since the company started!

I'm not sure your last statement is entirely correct. What about TT Line's planned Southampton-St Malo service in 1975 with Mary Poppins? There was no doubt at the time that the opposition to it in St Malo was led by the interests behind BF but the French Govt was determined the ferry should have access to the port and was prepared to send in the CRS to ensure she had. Unfortunately the Soton dockers declined to handle the vessel as well so TT threw in the towel. In 1976 they found out why there was opposition to TT in St Malo.

Maybe this episode has disinclined any other operator from challenging BF on what BF regard as their home turf.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

Well, it did used to have 3 daily sailings so relative to the historical service the current offering is somewhat "token". But in the main I agree with you, and BF's motive for running the Roscoff route, just as with the St Malo route, is not to keep competition out. There is no competition and never has been. The suggestion that BF runs almost its whole operation "to deter competition" is ridiculous - who ever heard of a business for which that was the reason to exist!