Andy

Brittany Ferries 2016 Results

25 minutes ago, Andy said:

The Normandie Express operated double sailings to Cherbourg in 2016 at the weekends, in place of operating to Le Havre as in previous years.

....which makes the Le Havre data even more impressive.

3 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Adding %s together is pretty meaningless though when for example there is a 62.1% fall on one route with trivial freight traffic. Splitting gainers and losers statistically, across four French routes freight traffic fell by 6.9% whereas on two routes it rose by 45.2% from a relatively low base for a combined growth of 4.5%. Total growth across all routes was 6.7% not 16.5%.

I don't know about meaningless hhv, it may be more of a reflection of how BF wish to evolve their freight business. Two UK hubs at Poole & Portsmouth & two French hubs at Le Havre & Cherbourg. Relocating to Zierbena rather than continuing with Santurtzi after the demise of P&O has also given them the opportunity to greatly increase direct freight traffic to Spain rather than travel through France, the marshalling & standing area is 3 times the size. Three core corridors offering dedicated services.

13 hours ago, Gareth said:

I agree Chris, there is zero chance of BF abandoning Caen.  It is their bread and butter route, and the nearest thing to a shuttle service across the Channel west of the Dover Straits.  It is also no surprise that there has been a shift in the balance of freight to Le Havre - the combination of the choice of ship for the route and the way it is marketed make that inevitable.  If Normandie does get transferred to the Le Havre route in a few years' time then it would be interesting to see what that does to the passanger carryings on the route.  But in the mean time, as long as the freight-centric Etretat is the mainstay of the route, it is bound to be freight dominated.

Gareth take a close look at the 21/12/16 press release for the new build to replace Normandie. She maybe longer, wider & 15000t heavier but her capacities are lower...

Less passengers, and her vehicle numbers whether combined or dedicated for freight are lower too.

Normandie, 2123 pax, 600 cars + 84 freight units or 156 freight only...

MSM2, 1680 pax, 550 cars + 64 freight units or 130 freight only...

Looking at Le Havre, Etretat already sells out her 95 freight spaces, she also carries nearly double her BF advertised reduced 200 pax per crossing, around 440. For me Normandie is the wrong fit...

Looking at the figures Pont Aven is too big for St Malo too. 

Hi Jonno,

Somerhing doesn't make sense in that last thread; there's no way Normandie can carry 600 cars and 84 freight units unless she has some seriously expanding bulkheads, nor the higher figure you've quoted for freight only. I should check your figures on that one...

Chris

I haven't currently got access to all the figures but from what Jonno posted I'd be interested to know what the difference would be if you added together the capacities for the following combinations over a normal 2-day period:

Normandie + MSM (12 complete trips) + Etretat (4 complete trips)

MSM + MSM 2 (12 complete trips) 

Normandie + Etretat (8 complete trips)

Does the current set up offer a greater or smaller overall capacity to what we predict the future offering to be? I'll try and crunch some figures later if I get the chance. Ed 

flotte_normandie_formatweb.png

NORMANDIE

Caen / Ouistreham - Portsmouth
2,100 passengers, 648 cars or 85 lorries, 774 beds, reclining seat lounges with a capacity of 322, 
2 restaurants, tea lounge, bars, gifts shops, 2 cinemas, amusements, children's playroom, Wi-Fi.
Built in 1992
L 161m - l 26m - 27,541 UMS - Speed 20.5 knots.

There we go Jonno, taken from the BF corporate website - I wouldn't fancy being on her with another 647 cars though..........O.o

Chris

Scrap Cork (wAhat do they do there for the other half of the year!?) Put on another Plymouth - Santander run instead. Sell the NEX! Both big overheads for BF and entirely unnecessary. Even if every single Cork sailing was full to the brim it's hardly worth it, (about 30 or so return sailings a year) and the NEX has such high operating costs... fuel, crew accommodation in hotels etc....

Edited by hf_uk

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

flotte_normandie_formatweb.png

NORMANDIE

Caen / Ouistreham - Portsmouth
2,100 passengers, 648 cars or 85 lorries, 774 beds, reclining seat lounges with a capacity of 322, 
2 restaurants, tea lounge, bars, gifts shops, 2 cinemas, amusements, children's playroom, Wi-Fi.
Built in 1992
L 161m - l 26m - 27,541 UMS - Speed 20.5 knots.

There we go Jonno, taken from the BF corporate website - I wouldn't fancy being on her with another 647 cars though..........O.o

Chris

Yeah thanks Chris, I've looked at it further since.. I was foolishly taking the figures from BF's freight & ferry booking sites.

I've given up looking as every site has different figures even BF's. The 2016 media pack is different again.

It's all just creating more questions than answers, such as.

Why does the Port's-Caen route need a year round 12000 daily pax capacity?

I answered my own question when I tried to look at lane metres v capacities, I needed a lie down, where does Bretagne even begin to get anywhere near her 580, it's more like 200 without any freight. I mean, an average family car is just over 4 metres an HGV is 16.5m.

Iain.

7 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Scrap Cork (wAhat do they do there for the other half of the year!?) Put on another Plymouth - Santander run instead. Sell the NEX! Both big overheads for BF and entirely unnecessary. Even if every single Cork sailing was full to the brim it's hardly worth it, (about 30 or so return sailings a year) and the NEX has such high operating costs... fuel, crew accommodation in hotels etc....

Only if they put the new build on PIP-St Malo, Pont Aven on PIP-Caen, The Cap' on PIP-Le Havre and build two Spanish flagships.;)

I'm not surprised Plymouth/Roscoff is doing well our booking in August was over £200 cheaper than StMalo for the same crossings, I know Bretagne sells out at peak times but the price differential must have an impact.

Something I find astonishing is that NEX has carried more freight to Cherbourg than Pont Aven has carried to Cork.

Sure, I know NEX sails once or twice a day and Pont Aven sails once a week, but (as well as Pont's season being longer), NEX is not designed to carry significant amounts of freight while Pont's freight capacity is huge.

The figure must include all the diverted crossings due to strike action and other operational reasons that took place last year. Plus any repositioning sailings before heading off to have scrubbers fitted and the like. The NEX has virtually no space for anything taller than a transit van on most of her decks but maybe they are counting those as freight units. It all depends on how the booking engine calculates the vehicles. If SUVs with roof boxes are classed as freight vehicles as they have to park in the central area then that would skew the figures. Ed. 

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Regarding Ros-Cork I am not sure BF can do what they want. It must remembered that ships like PA do not belong to BF but to semi public companies e.g. SABEMEN. I bet the local authorities who invested in the ship would kick up a fuss if the line was closed.

2 hours ago, breizhFan said:

And quite rightly , too, I would imagine it's quite a profitable route.

We ( family & I )  go via Cork-Roscoff every summer, It's always very busy, outward & return with a sizeable French percentage of passengers too.

And don't forget Irish Ferries alternate between Cherbourg and Roscoff from Rosslare in the summer months.  Thus BF do have some competition on their Irish service.

The Cork Roscoff route has to be profitable for BF. They don't compete aggresively with IF & Stena on price and yet get an average of 1500 passengers and 424 cars for their 30 return sailings a year. The summer months are fully booked & they are getting premium prices. The lack of freight is probably due to the Pont arriving into France early on a Sunday morning so the freight that does use it is usually carrying perishable goods /shellfish etc- otherwise because of the weekend HGV restrictions they would have to park up until Sunday evening.

I would say that the IF offering with the Epsilon Dublin to Cherbourg service has had an effect as customers travelling from Northern Ireland would seem to be using it to shorten their car journey considerably whereas before they would have had to travel to Rosslare or Cork.

The drop in numbers this year is surely  explained because of the late return into service following the Scrubber installation & the loss of sailings due to the propeller problem

Though not 2016 "Shippax CFI" is reporting MN Pelican carried an average of 60 freight units per trip in January this year.  

One wonders why LD Lines with Norman Asturias couldn't get results something like this. I did hear they needed at least 40 freight units per trip to make the service pay and on one crossing they had just three!  

If the results for 2016 per month are similar to Jan's this year no surprise then MN Pelican has been charted for another year.

3 hours ago, kgst said:

The Cork Roscoff route has to be profitable for BF.

And everyone and everything on board is paying in Euros which mitigates the huge exchange risk BF suffer with the majority of their income being in sterling.

I've split the discussion about Cork operations off into another thread in Discussions so that we can keep this one focussed on BF's results.

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 1