Sign in to follow this  
boallen

BF Cork Operations

Dublin to Cherbourg on the EPSILON ... couldn't think of anything worse ... although Dublin would be good for me as I travel from Belfast, i'll gladly drive the extra miles to Cork and enjoy the comfort of the Pont Aven.

That's fascinating boallen.  When you said previously that you only had the one sailing available, I had assumed you were from somewhere over on the western side or in the vicinity of Cork.  If you're in Belfast, it's interesting (and reassuring for the potential market in expanding Cork operations) that you're prepared to drive all the way to Cork to sail to France.  May I ask, why does driving to Cork win over going to Rosslare for you?

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That's fascinating boallen.  When you said previously that you only had the one sailing available, I had assumed you were from somewhere over on the western side or in the vicinity of Cork.  If you're in Belfast, it's interesting (and reassuring for the potential market in expanding Cork operations) that you're prepared to drive all the way to Cork to sail to France.  May I ask, why does driving to Cork win over going to Rosslare for you?

As I have said before Gareth, (BF) always works out cheaper than (IF) for us .. family of 5, car/bikes/box all that stuff ... Cork is only another 55 miles or so further than Rosslare to drive .. I much prefer the Pont Aven over the Oscar Wilde anyway and as we usually go for a month i really don't mind the driving as i have plenty of time to relax once i arrive :D

We overnight in Cork on the Friday for the Saturday sailing so i'ts a bit of a treat for the kids too.

That's the enigma isn't it? Cork offers the traveller a great deal in terms of shopping, culture, places to stay & eat. It's also a major cruise destination and has superb freight facilities. One would assume that direct ferry links to both Spain, Wales and England would be well established.

There was a belief that IF's Dublin-Cherbourg passenger service would prove unpopular due to passage length, it's been the opposite. I think a greater focus on Cork would prove just as successful.

Just as BF tentatively re introduced Le Havre, I wonder what the uptake would be for a weekly peak season Plymouth-Cork service?

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 15:09, Gareth said:

Back last summer (in the Bretagne 27th birthday thread) I posted about an idea I came up with for a possible deployment of Bretagne once Pont Aven had taken over the main Portsmouth-St Malo schedule.  The idea was 2 weekly round trips between Cork and St Malo, with weekend additional sailings opposite Pont Aven to Portsmouth.  I never posted the proposed schedule though.  It went something like this (Jonno I have assumed 17 hours for Cork - St Malo):

Mon:  1300 arr Cork;  2000 dep Cork

Tues:  1400 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Weds:  1300 arr Cork;  2000 dep Cork

Thurs:  1400 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Fri:  0700  arr Portsmouth;  0900 dep Portsmouth;  1900 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Sat:  0700 arr Portsmouth;  0900 dep Portsmouth;  1900 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Sun:  0700 arr Portsmouth;  0900 dep Portsmouth;  1900 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Would compliment the Cork-Roscoff route nicely so that there would be BF calls at Cork on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.  And overnight St Malo-Portsmouth provision at weekends to compliment the main daily overnight Portsmouth-St Malo service. 

Ok, sorry to do this but you know how I like to play with these things.  Discussion in another thread brought my mind back to this, and on revisiting it I noticed that the above concept would clash a little with Connemara's schedules from Cork.  So.....here is a tweaked version, with everything shifted by a day.  It still works in principle and fits around other recent developments at Cork:

Mon:  0700 arr Portsmouth;  0900 dep Portsmouth;  1900 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Tues:  1300 arr Cork;  2000 dep Cork

Weds:  1400 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Thurs:  1300 arr Cork;  2000 dep Cork

Fri:  1400 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Sat:  0700  arr Portsmouth;  0900 dep Portsmouth;  1900 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

Sun:  0700 arr Portsmouth;  0900 dep Portsmouth;  1900 arr St Malo;  2100 dep St Malo

This would still enable the weekend Portsmouth rotations, and would give BF a nice little regular network out of Cork.  There would be a departure from Cork every day of the week apart from Sunday:

Monday to Roscoff (Connemara)

Tuesday to St Malo (Bretagne)

Wednesday to Santander (Connemara)

Thursday to St Malo (Bretagne)

Friday to Santander (Connemara)

Saturday to Roscoff (Pont Aven or Pont Aven replacement).

Connemara is on sale today! At least the call center are selling it from what I have been told. I wonder if the calls are handled by the small Irish team or not...

13 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Connemara is on sale today! At least the call center are selling it from what I have been told. I wonder if the calls are handled by the small Irish team or not...

I booked at 08.30 Tuesday morning via the Cub Voyage number which I assume is Portsmouth since I was making changes to an existing booking. Went very smoothly!