Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Budget hotels .

Just wondering everyone's preferences and tips for a budget hotel, I've tried a few with mixed results from all chains, the best value we've stayed in is the "hub by premier inn" in Edinburgh a bit like staying in a ferry cabin with a bigger bathroom, bed against one side of the room,wifi,sky movies,air con,costa coffee all free, all for a decent price in Edinburgh which is rare.

Worst  was the Travelodge in Plymouth dirty threadbare carpet,hot stuffy room,view of dirty nappies on the roof , I could go on.

ibis and ibis styles have generally been good .

I stayed in the EasyHotel in Croydon which I thought was good value for the money. I paid £21 a night when travelodge and premier inn both wanted in excess of £100 a night, EasyHotel was proper budget, it was a bed in a room with ensuite facilities. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. No tv in room (available to hire for £5 a night from reception, I didn't want one). The room was almost clinical with easy clean plastic cladding on the walls. My intention was returning late, leaving when I woke up in the morning, so cleanliness and a comfy bed was all I was worried about and for youth hostel prices I was satisfied.

Travelodge Taunton was dirty, worn, rude staff. I'll leave it at that!

The hub in Edinburgh was £41 for the night the nearest other price was £100+ ,easyhotel wasn't available but would probably have been similar to the hub without the frills and a window.

So long as it is quiet and and there is a TV and tea/coffee facilities, I am happy.  I get a good night's sleep, a decent bath or shower and that is fine.

In general terms, have found Premier Inn to be consistently reasonable whereas Travelodge can be a bit hit and miss... mostly miss. A few years back now, I did find myself at the reception desk of one Travelodge asking if they wouldn't mind terribly supplying two towels for the two people in our room... and a bath plug.

I've stayed in what were Etap hotels (now Ibis Budget) which have always been clean and functional... and more preferable to a Forumule1 as they have their own bathrooms rather than shared.

Ibis and Ibis Styles have both always been good, but I do find that what you get for the money varies widely in terms of room size.

• Like 1

I've been quite lucky with Travelodge, I haven't had any bad experiences for quite a long time! Premier Inn is always good, but you do pay more for the privilege.

Fully agree with everyone else on Accor (Ibis and friends) always great service and normally well located - being international, it's really handy for booking abroad too.

I'd also recommend Kyriad for anything the other side of the channel. The St Malo one doesn't look like much from the outside, but absolutely perfect otherwise (it even has a pool and if I remember correctly breakfast is included).

If you aren't fussy, the best bet is to give one of the online travel agents a go, if you time it right you can pick up rooms from more expensive hotels (normally smaller chains or independents) as they try to sell off any remaining availability.

Another vote for Ibis - excellent locations in cities and towns across Europe . (Very tasty pancakes for breakfast - which does beg the question again on this forum why BF does not serve pancakes on a full time basis on their ships...) 

Hotel B+B (France) while being less well located than the Ibis brand still offer value and convenience.  

Motel One (Germany, UK and some other European countries) have taken the 3* hotel concept up a notch with super comfy beds and boutique style decor.  

Edited by zuludelta

Which are the best near the Portsmouth ferry terminal - I am working out a trip on NEX this year and want to go out on her and Barfleur home, instead of the other way round like last time.  Also planning a Mont - Normandie day out but think will do the overnight.  Would be interested in knowing the best nearest the port.  At present I am dithering which way round to do it.   

If you are on foot, as I suspect that you will be, then the Travelodge opposite the dock gates is probably your best bet. Lots of buses from the station stop there, although, if fine, it is a comfortable walk  from Portsmouth & Southsea station. I agree with Jim's comment above about Travelodge being a bit hit and miss, and I prefer Premier Inn if available at a reasonable price, but then I do have a car. I have stayed perhaps half a dozen times at that Travelodge. It has always been clean and more than adequate for a bed for the night. (I think that the NEx crew stay there).

Edited by rogerpatenall
improve clarity

Thanks Roger, last time I went outbound from Poole and back via NEX, but I am not keen on hanging around train stations late night.  Travelodge seems best bet then.

We stayed at the Portsmouth Travelodge it's extremely close to the terminal and it's far better than the one in Plymouth, although it wasn't cheap , have a google for discount codes you might get one .

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Thanks Roger, last time I went outbound from Poole and back via NEX, but I am not keen on hanging around train stations late night.  Travelodge seems best bet then.

There are 2x Premier Inns a short cab ride away (less than 10 mins) at 'North Harbour' and 'Port Solent'. In reality, those two are right next to each other. I'd expect them to be a bit nicer than the TL nearer the port, and they're also within a few minutes walk of Tesco Extra, Pizza Hut, KFC & McDonalds. The following morning you could pick up a train from nearby Cosham or Portchester stations to Southampton where you'd connect for Poole.

• Like 1

We always use the Premier Inns at N Harbour or P Solent and they have always been excellent. Plenty of Café/Restaurants within 5 minutes walk. A taxi could take you to/from PIP. 

it is nice to be able to afford a hotel every now and again anyway now, been skint for several years.  Be nice to get out and about more on the ferries again!

In Spain and France Ibis every time , in UK Premier inn (maybe biased as our daughter is a manager of one )but they dont take pets so next weekend when we go to Eastborne it has to be the Travelodge at Uckfield who do take dogs.

• Like 1

Had a good stay at the "hub by premier inn" recommended if you're staying in Edinburgh very good and reasonably priced,we got a bigger room for about £10 more £54 instead of £44 very cheap for Edinburgh and a  super high bed.

IMG_0268.JPG

Agree with the comments on here about Ibis but not about Premier Inn. I had my worst ever experience ever at a Premier Inn, sullen rude staff on reception. Very noisy in the hotel and the room could have done with a major refurb. This put me off and have never been back to a Premier Inn.

I've generally had very good experiences with Premier Inn.  I much prefer to Travelodge where I've suffered many a disturbed and noisy night with people returning very late, banging doors and talking with raised voices. Those near the city centres seem to be the worst as they attract large parties 'out on the town' at weekends. I've also had rooms above the main foyer and been kept awake late into the night/early hours by smokers who congregate just outside and seem unable to talk quietly!. Often no aircon so no choice other than to 'sleep' with the window open.  Never been a fan of Travelodge near PIP for just these reasons and now always try to avoid.

On railforums many members speak highly of Easyhotel. 

My own experiences would also recommend. Comfy bed, clean and an ensuite and I paid £21 a night in London. 

Easyhotel is somewhere to sleep and wash but not really hangout as lack facilities. No tv or wifi etc.

if you're looking for a comfy bed in a clean room I don't think you'll get better value. 

I've used them on rail trips, where I've arrived at 9pm or later, gone to bed, woke up showered and left. Easyhotel is perfect for this purpose.

my most recent night in London both travelodge and premier inn wanted over £100 a night, compared to Easyhotel at £21

I always search for a Premier Inn first as they seem to build them where I want them. I've never been disturbed during any stay or ever had a problem with the food whether it's been in house or an attached pub. I have found the rooms to be too warm although a quick chat at reception usually results in a fan.

Just as cvabishop says, good value.

We have found Premier Inns best for stopovers in UK for comfort and price. In Europe we are Accor Club Members (free membership!) and a wide choice of Hotels in the Group

Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery by Sofitel, Novotel, Suite Novotel, Mercure, ibis, ibis styles, Adagio, Adagio Access, The Sebel, Grand Mercure and Thalassa sea & spa hotels. Members receive advantages and rewards - points receive prizes !!!

Edited by Manxscorpio
  • Like 1

Agree with the others re Premier Inn...a safe bet for us over many years, but I'm certain that for others it can be less so..that said just stayed at a village pub on the way down to Portsmouth and were well looked after at a good price, so there are good choices out there.... although sometimes finding them can be an art!!