Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Budget hotels .

In general I have found Premier Inns to be good in various locations in the UK. We have used the Ibis in Plymouth many times and find it to be consistent in cleanliness and comfort. They also have a basic menu at reasonable prices. In France we have used the Kyriad chain, in particular the one in Lannion. Very clean and comfortable with a fantastic continental breakfast and all at a very reasonable price.

John

On 3/14/2017 at 22:27, zuludelta said:

Another vote for Ibis - excellent locations in cities and towns across Europe . (Very tasty pancakes for breakfast - which does beg the question again on this forum why BF does not serve pancakes on a full time basis on their ships...) 

Hotel B+B (France) while being less well located than the Ibis brand still offer value and convenience.  

Motel One (Germany, UK and some other European countries) have taken the 3* hotel concept up a notch with super comfy beds and boutique style decor.  

Having just stayed at the St Malo Hotel B&B, it's great value. It's a travelodge without the trimmings, but if you're not fussy about the extras its very cheap. I found the one in St Malo (opposite the Kyriad) to be clean and tidy. The room smelt slightly of smoke, but for £40 a night (at the end of june) you cant complain! The kyriad is far nicer and out of season you'd get it for a low cost too. This time around they wanted almost double, which I couldnt justify for just myself (but if both of us were travelling its easily worth the extra)

On the way back we are staying at the Kyriad, opposite the Intermache in St Malo . Apparently it has an indoor pool 😀 and was cheaper than the Ibis, who we have used before in France.Good to hear some likes for this chain.. 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we stopped in the Hotel Bristol Union near the walls of the City and close to the Marina. We always have to find Hotels that take dur dog. Cost was about 55 Euro for the night and underground parking for a few cars which we had reserved but on arrival no places left so a member of staff drove our car away to some remote parking area which wasn't convenient for us as we didnt have access to our vehicle. Hotel was OK but needed tidying up !!

1 hour ago, Paully said:

On the way back we are staying at the Kyriad, opposite the Intermache in St Malo . Apparently it has an indoor pool 😀 and was cheaper than the Ibis, who we have used before in France.Good to hear some likes for this chain.. 

The Kyriad at la Richardais is used by various friends and all happy. Just above the barrage, so easy access, but need to drive for decent food.

20 minutes ago, colin said:

The Kyriad at la Richardais is used by various friends and all happy. Just above the barrage, so easy access, but need to drive for decent food.

Thanks, know the one you mean due to taking a wrong turn and ending up over the barrage..

We've been using the Ibis in Portsmouth city centre for several years, but this week it went from an eye-watering £140 a night to sold out (on own website - https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/united-kingdom/index.shtml  so actual, not an allocation). I guess this a peak week for holidaymakers in Portsmouth and those breaking journeys en route to / from  IoW, France, Spain and CI – we have rarely been asked over £100 for the Ibis, and off-peak have paid less than £60.

We've stayed at numerous Ibis in the UK, France and Belgium over several years and never been disappointed. We were going to overnight tonight at the Ibis Styles in Ouistreham – after a seaside day out – but we abandoned that idea after taking just two paces from our own front door this morning. Windy, dull and drizzly.  

If you are travelling regularly, the Accor loyalty card guarantees the lowest available rate at any of the group's hotels and a number of special offers which come in handy for those (eg retired folk like us) who can take hols and breaks anywhere anytime. And, to be honest, have made several choices for us!

So for tomorrow (Thu 20 July) saved £20 by booking the Premier Inn just next to P&S station (as you can see in the pic). Only the second Premier I've tried, the other was a few years ago in Liverpool.

One possible advantage I can see right away is that it is just yards from Wetherspoon's where breakfast is probably cheaper. Also nearer to the shops in Commercial Rd for the "click and collect" run – and I think there's a bus from round the corner which drops off a few yards from the ferry at PIP (but can't remember the number).

But a note of warning in advance. Like most chains, you get the lowest price if you pay upfront when booking, but those are usually no cancel, no refund deals. In other words if your plans change, you've lost your money.

So I always opt for pay on arrival which gives flexibility to change or cancel. But with Premier Inn, there's a bit of a twist. A couple of days ago I got an email offering online check-in – billed as a timesaver on arrival at reception. I clicked through, filled out the online form – and then discovered that to complete the check-in process you have to prepay. 

That apart, I will report back on the Premier at the weekend.

premier-inn-portsmouth.jpg

• Like 1

Ibis flexible rates are a lot more competitive than Premier inn only a few pounds more rather than the £20 ish that Premier inn want and you can pay at the hotel and cancel right up to the day before without a charge.

You may want to look at Premier Inn's meal deals £24 for a starter or pud plus a main, drink and full breakfast. We did it twice last week in Inverness. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned Campanile Hotels.

OK, if you turn up without having pre-booked or if you leave it until quite close to your stay, they couldn't be considered as 'budget'. However, if you sign up to their 'offer email' thingy via their website, then usually about 2 months before travel, you'll get some really interesting offers.  I've often paid less than E50, but that of course is non-refundable. 

Its true that most of these offers will be out of high season, but not everybody is tied to that period.

As for the hotels, they're just about everywhere, they all look the same, but they're comfortable and the restaurants serve perfectly acceptable meals at a very reasonable price. One great advantage is that they're usually gated, thus providing security for your vehicle and belongings.  Ideal as overnight stays when you're on the move.

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Ibis flexible rates are a lot more competitive than Premier inn only a few pounds more rather than the £20 ish that Premier inn want and you can pay at the hotel and cancel right up to the day before without a charge.

Spot on. We've been using Ibis for years and their flexible rates are always competitive  – I've never considered Premier Inn until this week, when I think it was the only hotel available in the city centre. 

And the development of the Ibis Styles has broadened their appeal, although I'm not sure why the Ouistreham hotel moved up to that range. We'd always thought that being "on the other side of the hedge" from the ferry gave them lots of ready-made customers.

I do a lot of online surveys in my spare time and get paid in vouchers which has resulted in us getting 5 nights away at Ibis this year on the flexible rate.

(ipsos surveys btw)

Edited by neilcvx

On 19/07/2017 at 15:50, neilcvx said:

Spot on. We've been using Ibis for years and their flexible rates are always competitive  – I've never considered Premier Inn until this week, when I think it was the only hotel available in the city centre. 

And the development of the Ibis Styles has broadened their appeal, although I'm not sure why the Ouistreham hotel moved up to that range. We'd always thought that being "on the other side of the hedge" from the ferry gave them lots of ready-made customers.

Apologies that I didn't report back at the weekend as planned - for various reasons not relevant here. So...

Premier Inn in Portsmouth city centre is very comfortable, and of course very convenient.

PLUS POINTS:

• Clean and tidy room 
  • Efficient staff – a parcel for me delivered the day before was found and handed over in a moment
  •  Very comfortable large bed
  • Tea & instant coffee in the room
  • Costa coffee shop on the ground floor
  • Tesco and Co-op within 2min for those who are "brown bagging" or – as my colleague and I did after a busy day – having an in-room picnic
  • So convenient - next door to Portsmouth & Southsea rail station with well-stocked taxi rank, and major shops within minutes

DOUBTS & QUERIES

• Bath rather than shower – enjoyed by many, but can be tricky for older clients and / or those with mobility issues (like me)
  • No bar – and only a couple of OK pubs nearby, one of which is Wetherspoons' Isambard Brunel, next door to the Guildhall
  • Restaurant has limited opening hours (but W'spoons serves food all day)
  • Automated check-in process not ideal for first-timers
  • It is 10min nearer the rail station and bus stops than the Ibis – but does this justify the price premium, typically £10-20 a night?

That's about it.

Ken

Also worth noting there's a new Village Hotel being built up by the Lakeside North Harbour business park (aka the old IBM office). From experience of the Farnborough hotel, prices in the week aren't always cheap as they target business guests, but weekend rates and booked in advance can often be cheaper than a budget hotel. There's no opening date as yet though.

15 hours ago, kenw said:

• Bath rather than shower – enjoyed by many, but can be tricky for older clients and / or those with mobility issues (like me)

Good point. After 25 years of using only showers I recently had to use a bath for the first time since about 1992 (this is true - even places with a bath usually have a shower built in! Indeed I thought it was an invariable thing.) and found the intervening years had robbed me of the ability to get easily out of the damned thing.  Yes I am getting old but for those with any kind of mobility issue it is also a factor that I would certainly enquire about in future when making a booking.

Edited by Millsy

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Also worth noting there's a new Village Hotel being built up by the Lakeside North Harbour business park (aka the old IBM office). From experience of the Farnborough hotel, prices in the week aren't always cheap as they target business guests, but weekend rates and booked in advance can often be cheaper than a budget hotel. There's no opening date as yet though.

They do a Friday night deal room,2 glasses of fizz and 2 courses from a set menu we got that in Aberdeen for £59  cheaper than room only with ibis nearby, only drawback is they tend to be a bit out of town if that is a problem.

5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

They do a Friday night deal room,2 glasses of fizz and 2 courses from a set menu we got that in Aberdeen for £59  cheaper than room only with ibis nearby, only drawback is they tend to be a bit out of town if that is a problem.

Yep - I think the in-laws got a similar deal in Farnborough the night before the day I discovered Mrs Jim was my wife. It is a little out of town, but if you're driving only around 5 minutes from the ferry port and similar from Port Solent for restaurants/cinemas etc. You're not really any worse off than the Premier Inns next to each other at North Harbour/Port Solent and probably a much nicer room.

The nearby office complex has a publicly accessible area with a Co-operative Food, Subway and a Starbucks where you can often find a grumpy member of BFE staff in the mornings buying very strong black coffee.

On 7/6/2017 at 08:30, Paully said:

Any feedback on the Kyriad, Paully?  We have stayed at the Ibis close to Carrefour a couple of times and fancy somewhere different for next year.