Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

General Discussions on Brexit

Recommended Posts

Reported this morning that Italy are now in recession and results soon from both France and Germany will no doubt be the same whereas the UK results show it is in a much stronger position than the EU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is causing problems for bf because they don't know what the future holds,in the short term they will reap cash with the contract with the Tory party's ,oops I mean our goverment( sorry )us poor brits have not got a clue either what is going on you .just to have a look what nissan is saying tonight.what a sad state we are all in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nodwad said:

Yes it is causing problems for bf because they don't know what the future holds,in the short term they will reap cash with the contract with the Tory party's ,oops I mean our goverment( sorry )us poor brits have not got a clue either what is going on you .just to have a look what nissan is saying tonight.what a sad state we are all in.

I don't think Nissan have actually said anything, the report I read said it was expected on Monday and it is more to do with the state of Diesel vehicle sales, although they tried to blame Brexit.  Some truthful reporting from all sources would help calm fears and highlight where there could be problems.  I read an article this week about stockpiling, when most problems will be with fresh produce which you can't stockpile, they even had Tea and Coffee on the list I didn't know we got them from the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solo said:

I don't think Nissan have actually said anything, the report I read said it was expected on Monday and it is more to do with the state of Diesel vehicle sales, although they tried to blame Brexit.  Some truthful reporting from all sources would help calm fears and highlight where there could be problems.  I read an article this week about stockpiling, when most problems will be with fresh produce which you can't stockpile, they even had Tea and Coffee on the list I didn't know we got them from the EU.

A little more balanced posting wouldn't go amiss either.

The X-Trail is currently made in Japan. Japan has just signed the largest free trade deal ever concluded with the EU. There will be no tariffs on Japanese cars imported to the EU. Will the same apply to UK built cars? Who knows certainly you or I don't. It is difficult to see why any sane person would take a risk on the UK today?

BF, like many other companies, run a "just in time" model they can't delay sailings. Any threat to that, whether real or not, must adversely effect their prospects.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, G4rth said:

A little more balanced posting wouldn't go amiss either.

The X-Trail is currently made in Japan. Japan has just signed the largest free trade deal ever concluded with the EU. There will be no tariffs on Japanese cars imported to the EU. Will the same apply to UK built cars? Who knows certainly you or I don't. It is difficult to see why any sane person would take a risk on the UK today?

BF, like many other companies, run a "just in time" model they can't delay sailings. Any threat to that, whether real or not, must adversely effect their prospects.

 

 

There are and always have been trade tariffs on all categories of motor vehicles, it's to do with individual components. This won't change regardless of any trade deal between any country.. Whether the new X trail was built in the U.K or France as Renault originally hinted would it still have meant a tariff on petrol engines which are only built in Japan. If truth be told, there's not a large market for the X Trail in the U.K. or mainland Europe, it makes sense to shift production closer to their strongest marketplace.

The job losses announced by Nissan earlier this year were due to the downturn of diesel engine manufacture, the remaining workforce will still build the Qashqai at Sunderland regardless.

I pay for olive oil soap imported from Spain, again it's due to the tariff on essential oils, this won't change.

I thought most of BF's logistics for onboard fleet replenishment is sourced in France? There's English print media and bunkering sourced in the U.K. but I don't think there's much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Solo said:

I don't think Nissan have actually said anything, the report I read said it was expected on Monday and it is more to do with the state of Diesel vehicle sales, although they tried to blame Brexit.  Some truthful reporting from all sources would help calm fears and highlight where there could be problems.  I read an article this week about stockpiling, when most problems will be with fresh produce which you can't stockpile, they even had Tea and Coffee on the list I didn't know we got them from the EU.

You must not live in the north east?ask anyone and they will tell you,nothing to do with diesil cars ,just a excuse to get out of the uk post  brexit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, nodwad said:

You must not live in the north east?ask anyone and they will tell you,nothing to do with diesil cars ,just a excuse to get out of the uk post  brexit

No I'm at the other end of the Country.  That would certainly be true if they invested somewhere else but from what's been said so far they're scrapping the new production completely, perhaps they daren't say any different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this might have to do with Carlos Ghosen and his antics, with brexit being a convenient excuse. If that was the real reason then they would certainly have switched production to within the EU and to one of the under capacity Renault factories. The X trail is not nor has never been a big seller. Its made in Japan to be closer to its main markets and I don`t think production was intended to move from there. Cue Ghosen and sleights of hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Paully said:

I think this might have to do with Carlos Ghosen and his antics, with brexit being a convenient excuse. If that was the real reason then they would certainly have switched production to within the EU and to one of the under capacity Renault factories. The X trail is not nor has never been a big seller. Its made in Japan to be closer to its main markets and I don`t think production was intended to move from there. Cue Ghosen and sleights of hand.

Isn't the reality that it's somewhere in-between? They haven't closed the factory, but they aren't investing in it either. They've publicly stated that brexit uncertainly is one of the many reasons why they aren't investing there. Of course the EU - Japan free trade deal may mean the decline of UK based Japanese manufacturers regardless of brexit.

 

The BBC news article is very good at describing the complexities of the trade deals involved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are keeping the £60 million they have already pocketed as it was not subject to the X Trail....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But surely the future is for vehicle manufacturers to produce electric, not petrol or diesel hence the downturn in diesel vehicle sales and in UK a litre of diesel is now much more expensive than a litre of petrol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that’s the conclusion of the informed analysis that I’ve read about Nissan’s decision.  Much more about the decline in diesel sales than anything to do with Brexit.  But, as is the norm these days, it is trendy to attribute everything to Brexit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, that’s the conclusion of the informed analysis that I’ve read about Nissan’s decision.  Much more about the decline in diesel sales than anything to do with Brexit.  But, as is the norm these days, it is trendy to attribute everything to Brexit.

It's worrying for Sunderland, but it's hard to have any sympathy for the car manufactures. They got caught misleading governments and the public about emissions and now they blame consumers for not buying diesels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, although to be fair to Nissan, it wasn't one of the companies caught up in the emissions fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Agreed, although to be fair to Nissan, it wasn't one of the companies caught up in the emissions fraud.

How sure are you about that? 😀 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-44763905&ved=2ahUKEwiz34q_9aTgAhUMz4UKHdhfAVgQFjADegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1EPXwnbf2sdnj6L_qL8GXN&ampcf=1

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.  Ok.  Well, I suppose, technically, they weren’t involved in defrauding the regulations governing the UK customer-base to which Penguin’s post referred.  But, yes, in spirit they seem to be as guilty as the rest.  In which case.....Penguin’s point stands.  Difficult to have any sympathy for the manufacturer. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference is Nissan owned up to having identified problems in their testing system before anyone could catch them out. Ed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But probably only because they knew (from what was going on in Germany) that they would be found out if they didn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well obviously, that's what would have happened but it's far easier to say it was just a calibration problem than a deliberate falsification. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×