• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/09/2020 at 11:24, hf_uk said:

On my list of things to do! :)

Someone erected a flag on Drakes Island today. Not sure what of yet. It's quite prominent, right at the top of the Island. Presumably the developer... it changes the whole profile somewhat! :)

On 11/11/2020 at 17:36, hf_uk said:

Ahah - found out. It was the "UNION FLAG FLYING ON DRAKE'S ISLAND FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY" ! 

it was reported on Spotlight (BBC South West news) last night  that the Union flag was flown for a Remembrance ceremony hosted by the island's new owners and attended by representatives from Plymouth service organisations. BUT hundreds of viewers had phoned in to say that it was flown upside down!!! The said new owners of the island have promised to get it right next  time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad I'm not the only one on this topic. I think it genuinely looks better with a flag flying tho. Surely, the owner could fly a flag year round now? Not 'Sealand' style. What kind of flag would be appropriate? Union Jack? 

12 hours ago, hf_uk said:

What kind of flag would be appropriate?

As its named after that famous pirate Francis Drake perhaps a skull and cross bones?

As an aside I was in Campeche, Mexico where Drake sailed up and down bombarding the town and doing a lot of damage. We stayed at the Francis Drake Hotel. I cannot see Plymouth having an Adolf Hitler hotel to commemorate that city's bombardment.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...