Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Bizarre pricing

Perplexed. Bewitched, bothered, bewildered even.

i'm in Caen and need to pop back for a day or two to Portsmouth. On BF's French website there is an offer "Escapade à Portsmouth". Overnight both ways including a seat for €55. Pretty good, I thought.

Even better, there's a little red panel in the corner which offers [en Francais] "possibility to prolong your stay with a night in a hotel". Bookable only by phone.

So I make the call, only to discover that the roundtrip ferry overnight plus 1 night hotel [Ibis or Travelodge] will cost €254.

Being generous, allow BF €25 or so for admin - based on the charge to change a booking – since they have to fiddle with the regular Escapade ticketing to allow the later return, then contact the hotel to check availability.

Which means a staggering charge of €174 for 1 night in the Ibis or Travelodge.

OK, let me do it differently, and price the crossing at the regular fare: €45 each way plus 2x €7 for lounge seats = €104, which would allow a "mere" €150 for the hotel.

Needless to say I didn't take up the offer. Since tomorrow [23 April] I can buy the Ibis directly for €76 or less – half the BF price.

Am I missing something, or is this simply BF rattling its collecting tin to fund the new build? 

On the 'Bon Plans' page when you click on 'Escapade à Portsmouth' there is a box on the left hand side (before you start a quote) which gives the hotel prices at between 75 and 99 euros which is a bit more reasonable. I'm sure you could find something cheaper in the city if you are prepared to do the legwork but if you are on foot that might end up being a lot of legwork to actually get to your hotel. Ed

We are going to a cottage in Brittany for a week in May via Plymouth/Roscoff.  There were interesting price variations in booking that as a package with this ferry company, or booking the ferry separately and booking the very same cottage through Gites de France.

Having booked the Ibis directly I'm saving the best part of €100 over BF price!!!

Thanks to Cabin-boy for spotting the hotel pricing panel on the opening page of the Escapades - that would be at the top end of current retail web pricing but for those who are looking for an easy deal it could work.

Not much "legwork" involved with either Travelodge – 5min through the subway from PIP – or Ibis (bus into town from near T/lodge and then less than 10min walk, or a fiver for a cab door to door).

If you have an Accor card (their free loyalty program), you can get 5% off accor chain hotel bookings, plus access the site through Quidco or other cashback site for anything between 5-10% cashback as well.